Current Version: 10.1.16
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 2.1 GB - Download
With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins, and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube and Vimeo at up to 4K resolution
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Addresses an issue that prevented the sharing of some projects in HD or 4K resolutions
• Improves stability when importing media
Most Helpful Reviews
Nice and easy to use product - I’m baffled at how many people rate this app as a 5 star or a 1 star. I recently bought my first Mac, although I've owned an iPhone and iPad for many years. I’ve used various movie making apps for those devices so I wanted one for my mac. I’m still a novice to movie making, but I created my first video show for my wife’s school project. I was able to easily incorporate photos, videos, music, and a voice over with little to no experience on something of this magnitude. I’m honestly impressed with iMovie, and I can’t complain whatsoever. It was smart enough to know to lower the music volume on its own, when we did the voice over. I had to adjust NOTHING. So for those that have complained about this app, I have no clue what they are looking for…..Hollywood video maker?? Anyway, a big thanks to the developers of this app. I appreciate you keeping it simple yet powerful to fulfil multiple projects.
Absolutely awful - Apple just refuses to leave well enough alone when it comes to their software. I used to create band promo videos with EASE with the previous version, imported audio & video, synced everything up, edited clips, and came out with a good final product… NOW?? they have discontinued some of the features and created an entirely new interface. 3 calls to tech support to try and figure it out only to find out it will no longer do what I need it to do. WHY DISCONTINUE USEFUL FEATURES?? Why make an interface LESS user friendly??? Not only that, when I upgraded from the previous version, I lost a good deal of my existing projects… Poof!!! gone, not recoverable. And one of the imovie ‘specialists’ at tech support actually told me he doesn’t use imovie so doesn’t really know all the features…. omigod!! Apple, I am absolutely furious that, having learned how to use the previous version of iMovie, I now have to search for and purchase a different software program and learn how to use it simply to accomplish the same thing . They’v done it with iTunes also, every time there’s a major update it becomes less user friendly. If I could just break off from Apple completely after this I would, I am that upset.
More Reviews for Current Version
Works great, some flaws. - I think iMovie works great. But here is my complaint. I am gonna startwith the pros, than Iwil get to the cons. iMovie works great for editing and organizing videos and pictures. When I started to use iMovie I did realize it is really good quality. Okay, here are the cons. I love iMovie and I dont know if this is just for me, but it takes very long to download. Once it almost took 30 minutes, I'm not sure if this is something to do with the space on your computer, but this is defintely a big flaw I deal with when I try to download it on several devices. I also do thinkit is a bit confusing to use on a laptop or any computer in general. I tried to select a specific part of my clip I imported, and instead I had to split the clip, since I went through this struggle. I have done this on iPad and it works just fine. I can select specific parts of clips on iPad, just on here it is much more confusing. I also went through some struggle just importing my video into the editing section. I think this was quite annoying. That is about it. Thank you for listening.
Buggy & worse than 10.1.14 - When selecting a clip in the timeline, the editing menu greys out. When looking over a clip in the timeline, the length is no longer there, but the name of the file (useless for editing). Time length is important!!!
Broken - Wow.. unbelievably buggy in its current state. Not what I would expect from an Apple product.
So Disappointed - I have an iphone 11 max pro. I took video of my grandchildren and I am trying to make a simple video but none of the videos will import the picture. I have sound and no video. I have checked everything on line and what I understand is that it wont import .mov files. ???? Seriously how can the file on a brand new phone not work with the program on my brand new mac??? Where the heck is Steve Jobs! He is severly missed.
Error - I can’t even export the videos I’ve created, even the ones that I have exported in the past, I don’t know if it’s because of the update but this is ridiculous This is the error message that I receive when I try to export my films The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.) PLEASE FIX