Developer: Pixelmator Team
Current Version: 1.8
Last Updated: 20 days ago
Download Size: 200 MB - Download
Pixelmator Pro is an incredibly powerful, beautiful, and easy to use image editor designed exclusively for Mac.
With a wide range of professional-grade, nondestructive image editing tools, Pixelmator Pro lets you bring out the best in your photos, create gorgeous compositions and designs, draw, paint, apply stunning effects, design beautiful text, and edit images in just about any way you can imagine. And thanks to its intuitive and accessible design, Pixelmator Pro is delightfully easy to use — whether you’re just starting out with image editing or you’re a seasoned pro.
Exceptional Design and Functionality
• The modern, single-window interface of Pixelmator Pro is designed exclusively for working with images on a Mac
• An intuitive and refined interface makes pro image editing easy and accessible to everyone — from complete beginners to design professionals
• With both dark and light appearances, Pixelmator Pro seamlessly adapts to the Light and Dark Modes of macOS
• A full-featured Photos extension lets you edit images using Pixelmator Pro without ever leaving Photos, saving layered, nondestructive edits directly to your library
• Enhance your existing images and create new ones using every image editing tool you could ever need
• Edit nondestructively, adjusting individual changes whenever you like
• Easily move, resize, and arrange objects to create stunning compositions
• Adjust the colors in images with a collection of nondestructive color adjustments
• Use the Core ML-powered ML Enhance to automatically improve the look of your photos
• Enjoy superior support for RAW files, editing RAW images right inside Pixelmator Pro without having to preprocess them
• Create digital or traditional paintings using handcrafted, fully-customizable, dual-texture brushes with full support for digital graphics tablets
• Combine the built-in effects to create any artistic or special effects you can imagine
• Save the adjustment, effect, and layer style combinations your create, use them in any of your images, and share them with others
• Magically remove small imperfections or entire objects, seamlessly clone parts of your photos, and lighten or darken precise areas using a full set of retouching tools
• Use the reshaping tools to easily change the shape of any object or area in your images, create striking artistic effects or make subtle changes to portrait photos
• Add customizable vector graphics designed by the Pixelmator Team
• Create your own vector graphics using the Pen tool
• Easily design great-looking text with a full set of typography tools
• Quickly create curved, circular, and path text
• Optimize and save your images for the web, using advanced compression to shrink file sizes to the smallest possible
• Batch process images using built-in Automator actions
Image Editing Enhanced by Machine Learning
• Magically remove objects, recreating image areas with stunning realism using the Repair tool
• Use ML Enhance to intelligently enhance photos with a machine learning algorithm trained on millions of professional photos
• Zoom and enhance image resolution with the incredible ML Super Resolution
• Automatically copy the look of one photo to another with ML Match Colors
• Remove image noise and compression artifacts while preserving details using ML Denoise
• Quickly make accurate selections with ease using the Quick Selection tool
• Automatically give descriptive names to the layers you add
• Open and edit images in all the most popular image formats, including JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PSD, HEIF, SVG, PDF, GIF, BMP, TGA, WebP and JPEG-2000
• Open and edit Photoshop images with layers
• Open and edit SVG vector images
• Share your images to Photos, Mail, AirDrop and other locations right from Pixelmator Pro
Built Exclusively for Mac
Designed exclusively for macOS, Pixelmator Pro supports almost every major macOS feature and integrates seamlessly with macOS Catalina.
Pixelmator Pro 1.8 Lynx brings support for AppleScript, the powerful and easy to use Mac scripting language, adds the ability to use the Repair and Clone tools on RAW photos nondestructively, and includes a number of additional improvements and fixes.
Automation with AppleScript
• Pixelmator Pro is now scriptable using AppleScript with an extensive and full-featured scripting dictionary.
• Write scripts using over 60 application-specific commands together with all the standard AppleScript terms.
• Take advantage of automation-specific commands like 'detect face', 'detect QR code' and 'replace text' to create powerful and versatile scripts.
• Check out the Pixelmator Pro dictionary in the Script Editor app and learn more about scripting with Pixelmator Pro on our Tutorials site.
Improvements and Fixes
• The Repair and Clone tools now work nondestructively with RAW layers, preserving all their extended dynamic range data.
• You can now reset all changes made to RAW layers with the Transform, Repair, and Clone tools using the new Reprocess RAW command, which you can find by Control-clicking a layer in the Layers sidebar.
• In that same shortcut menu, you'll also find a new Export RAW command which lets you export the original RAW file directly from Pixelmator Pro.
• The performance of the Repair tool has been improved — starting a Repair tool brushstroke should now be much faster and the tool should also be more responsive in large images.
• The Paint tools will now start painting more quickly and responsively while the image is being scrolled, zoomed, or otherwise animated.
• When using the Repair tool with Sidecar and Apple Pencil, it should now be a little less sensitive to pressure changes to make it easier to paint strokes with more consistent sizes.
• The Repair tool overlay would sometimes not be visible when layers were behind certain other layers. Fixed.
• The scrollbars would not work correctly when drawing shapes with the Pen tool. Fixed.
• In certain cases, it was not possible to edit the text inside path text layers. Fixed.
• Text would sometimes shift slightly when starting to transform path text or edit its path. Fixed.
• The two-finger canvas rotation gesture can now be disabled using the following Terminal command:
defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x canvasRotationGestureEnabled -bool false
Have any feedback about this update or Pixelmator Pro in general? We'd love to hear from you at [email protected]!
Most Helpful Reviews
Good Value for the price - To start, this doesn't do everything that Photoshop or Affinity Photo does, so it can't always be a full replacement. It doesn't do blend options with source and target layer ranges, for example. It's missing lab mode, it's missing tone mapping (that would be the one thing I am missing the most)... But the thing is, for many tasks, those things are not needed, and especially for the price the filters that were implemented and the UI work really well. I like the color controls, which are very intuitive, and the curves / levels dialog works well too. It could use a few more filters for light leaks (or at least let me change the color), to make images look grungy/dusty and apply bokehs, as well as the ability to use my own images for this to overlay. A good effect to add lens flare would also be useful.
Inexcusable lack of Noise Reduction - After reading the reviews, I thought this was at least a "prosumer" grade editing app and a decent replacement for Lightroom (which I have soured on) in my workflow). I tried the auto photo enhancement for kicks (it was the worst I have seen/used), then set about to create my default workspace. As confusing as it is that the basic adjustments like exposure, contrast, curves, levels, etc. - which should be front and center - were buried under "color adjustments" (?), at least they were present - which cannot be said for one of the most basic, essential features of any photo editor: noise reduction. I have no interest in gimicky "light leak" filters/presets and the ability to put star stickers on my photos for snapchat. If the developers want to throw those features in, that's fine, but not having noise reduction is a non-starter, and the word "Pro" has no business being anywhere near this app. I was excited about this app, and it was the one Unfortunately, it's unusable for me in it's current state. Of course, nobody forced me to buy it and it doesn't claim to have noise reduction in the description... but it also doesn't claim to have exposure adjustments or contrast or shadows and highlights. Why? For the same reasons car ads don't say they come with steering wheels. It's just expected, as shoud noise reduction be in a "Pro" app.
More Reviews for Current Version
An Excellent Photoshop Replacement - Like many, I have used Photoshop for a very long time—since the early 90s. I was very upset when Adobe switched to a subscription model which I thought was expensive, and started to look for a replacement. I had dabbled with Pixelmator a few years ago but was able to keep Photoshop CS5 going on my Mac and was able to stick with it, even as far as Mojave. But then a few months ago, Photoshop finally started to crash every time I launched it and I was unable to use it anymore. I tried Affinity Photo after having read good reviews, and it is a powerful program, but the User Interface and commands are too different from Photoshop and the learning curve was too steep for me. So I gave Pixelmator a second look and was pleased to find that the UI and commands were quite intuitive and more similar to Photoshop. I highly recommend this app: it fulfills all my needs and the price is right. It's easy to use and works great. You can't go wrong with this. I highly recommend it.
Pixelmator Pro just keeps getting better and better - I remember when Pixelmator Pro came out and dazzled everyone with it's instantaneous filter affects utilizing the GPU (putting shame on "the" primary image editor at the time), and then a bit later they had a few GUI improvements here and there. However, in the last year or two something amazing has happened -- they seem to have crossed some knee-of-the-curve for innovation and new features. Every time I turn around, Pixelmator Pro is doing something new, something cool, something better and it's just fantastic. Pixelmator Pro is on the very top of my watch list for what incredible photo editing technology is about to get popular. Pixelmator Pro doesn't pull punches when it comes to editing photos. It's not generic applications of filters, it's not a set of precanned special effects. From their AI Enhance to non-destructive highly-granular controls for experts, coupled now with automation ... this is a must-have tool for the professional photographer, even if you already have other tools. I'm constantly turning to Pixelmator Pro and it'd got my back every time.
So incredible - Absolutely love this thing
I Love Pixalmator Pro! - I use this software for all my website and social medias professionaly. Of course, I am a Mac guy and I keep all my overhead low low low. This does the job just fine. Going on 4 years now.
Eraser & Brushes Cause Consistent Crashes - The eraser tool, the brushes tool, and even other random tools cause consistent crashes. This issue has been persistent for several months despite updates and bug fixes to the application.