OwlOCR - Capture Text Easily
Developer: Tommi Urtti
Current Version: 4.0.2
Last Updated: 15 days ago
Download Size: 2.2 MB - Download
OwlOCR allows grabbing a part of the screen and having any text in that area be instantaneously recognized and copied to clipboard. Additionally, the application supports recognizing text from PDF files, images and converting the contents to plain text. All conversion is done securely on-device - none of your images or files are sent to third-party services in the cloud.
The output of OwlOCR is plain text that you may copy and then paste to your target use or application. Exporting a PDF file with the text recognition results as an invisible text layer is also supported.
- Grab a screen area for instant OCR and result copied to clipboard
- High quality text recognition performed on-device securely
- Run text recognition page-by-page or for a directory or a group of files
- Take a photo or scan of document with your iPhone or iPad device (please note requirements: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209037)
- Export searchable PDF files
- Customize OwlOCR to behave as a menu bar- or dock app
- Automatically start on MacOS launch (option)
- Input filetypes supported: PDF, GIF, PNG, JPEG, JPG.
- Keyboard shortcut Cmd + F1 (configurable) for a single screen area OCR even when OwlOCR is in the background
- Keyboard shortcut Cmd + F2 (configurable) for multiple screen area captures
- macOS Catalina or newer required
- Language support running under MacOS 11.0: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.
- Language support under MacOS 10.15 limited to English only.
- Dark Mode supported, B&W/Color options for Menu Bar icon
- 3 week free trial automatically starting upon installation (no sign-up required)
- After 3 weeks Pro mode can be extended with a one-time purchase for a lifetime license
Features exclusively in Pro mode:
- Batch text recognition for multipage PDFs and multiple documents in parallel
- Take up to 20 screenshots with multi-screenshot feature
- Good karma from supporting indie development
Version 4: MacOS 11.0 Big Sur support with multiple new languages. Refreshed user interface.
4.0.2. Improved icons and fixed issue related to notifications.
Most Helpful Reviews
Outstanding OCR app - Wow, this is fantastic! I tested it out on several documents with different characterists and it did great. It was fast and accurate and the fact that it is all done locally without needing to access the internet is a huge plus. Puts the other bloated and expensive OCR apps like Abby to shame and just goes to show OCR apps can be lightweight and accurate. I tried OCR on code and did well but you have the turn off the Language Correction setting in the app. I'd definitely be willing to pay for this as long as it's reasonably priced and non subscription based.
More Reviews for Current Version
Fast and accurate - This app really offers incredible value. It's so much more efficient than Prizmo, the app I was previously using.