Developer: Ginger Labs
Current Version: 4.4.1
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 98.9 MB - Download
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation. Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Quickly create and edit notes by dragging and dropping documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop.
• Get more done with keyboard shortcuts.
• Secure and lock your notes using Touch ID.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you open multiple notes at once in new windows.
• Easily access your recently opened notes in the Recent Notes subject.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes and precisely erase all ink in varied brush sizes
• Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
• Ink can be scaled, transformed, rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive are all supported!
iOS app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
• Fixed an issue where the app could freeze
• Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
Most Helpful Reviews
My Choice - I have used Notability for several years. I also own Goodnotes. As a lawyer I used Notability in the courtroom everyday. Notability, combined with my ipad pro enabled me to never take any files to court. It was all in one package that I could use to take notes or demonstrate evidentiary items. I also own Goodnotes, which I do use occasionally for specific things. It is probably unusual to mention both apps in a Notabllity review. They are both good. However, in my day to day use, which is very heavy, recording client interviews, notes, taking notes in court, use in the library studying, etc.; I have found that Notability is my go to app. I really enjoy it. With a few small tweaks, such as allowing the pen to change a few colors without opening the pen section would be great; and I would like a few more templates, like Cornell notes etc. in Notabilty. I use a Cornell notes pdf in Notability, and that works, but it would be nice to have a Notability template of the same. As I said, Notability is my go to app 9 out of 10 times when I am taking notes. I recommend the app completely.
Keeps getting worse - I like Notability for its synching and auto-backup features but lately it has been horrible. I have run into SO many problems. Half of my notes now have the issue of "unable to load medata" which is incredibly annoying. Even worse though, now when I try to load the previous iCloud version history, I just get a blank page. So I am unable to access that note at all and have to dig through my GoogleDrive back up hoping its there. Another issue is that the formatting changes from laptop to iPad when you type notes. One of my classes was a pathology class, so it was very important to be able to correctly identify images. I had written pages of notes so that the text would correctly line up with the images. When I went to open that same note on my iPad, all the text was shifted so that all my images were mislabeled. I am just so tired and stressed of not being able to rely on my notes being correct and accessible when I need them. I keep having to report issues to Notability, and while sometimes they are good about getting back to me or releasing updates to fix glitches, it's too late by then. If I hadn't already have hundreds of notes on here I would have switched to something more reliable like OneNote. At this point I'm just ready to be done and am already dreading having to sort through my GoogleDrive to identify what needs to be fixed.
More Reviews for Current Version
I had to fight with the UI but still saved me with annotating and recording a very fast class. - THere is a lot of unused space in this app still. Some of the color palette should be next to the brushes instead of way off to the side. The page navigator should hold the selected page in the middle of the screen so the user can see above and below the current page for quick selection. Always having the selected page be at the bottom is not helpful. You can always go back a page quickly but not forward. When hiding the note navigator the window should not shrink like it does. In my opinion, the content should adjust, not the window. When I would have the window snapped to the side of the screen, adding the note navigator would push the right side of the window over the content I've snapped to the right side of the screen. When I close the note navigator, the left side of the window disappears and now my window is no longer snapped to the left side of the screen. So I would have to keep snapping it back to the left side of the screen. Being able to trim audio would be nice. Would be nice if the services I could use for auto-backup would also be the chosen sync service, instead of iCloud. No need to waste space in two spots if I'm paying for storage on those other services.
Laptop App - I love Notability on my iPad and it's rarely given me anything to worry about. However, the laptop one is absolutely trash. The app works fine for the most part, but it has a deadly flaw of completely freezing up and then having to force quit it to get it to work again. This pretty much guarantees that whatever I was working on is going to get erased. It does not matter how functional it is when it's not freezing up because I have to live in constant fear that it's going to close and I'm going to lose whatever I'm working on. Having this app be functional on a laptop would be the best thing ever, but for now I will be recommending GoodNotes 5.
Great Between iPad and Macbook - I first used notability in high school and got used to the whole set up and the latest update on iPad is pushing it into a great direction for organized people as well as those who like to make their notes beautiful as a hobby. However, as an avid iPad user for the software, I have bought themes and would love to see those same themes applied to the Macbook version of Notability as well! Perhaps even syncing the current theme used on the iPad to the Macbook under the same iCloud? Either way, I love notability and it helps me keep my notes in one place and not worry about losing papers!
Best Note Taking App Hands Down - I have been using Notability every day for the past 8 years as part of my business. It is well worth the money spent to have all of my notes synced accross my Mac, iPad and iPhone as well as the ability to back it up to iCloud, Dropbox, Box and others. Works amazing with imported PDF documents that can then be written on or edited and saved accross all my platforms. Don't even bother with other note taking apps. Apple should have snatched Notability up years ago and made it their own native Note App.
iOS version is like 2020, Mac version is like 1998 - Come on, if you're not going to offer the same tools and functionality of the mobile version on the Mac version, don't call it Notability. Its such a frastrating lack of continuity between the two and makes switching between platforms a pain. I want more and I know more can be done.