NightTone (Night light filter)
Developer: Denk Alexandru
Current Version: 2.6.0
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 3.1 MB - Download
#Featured on Mashable, ProductHunt, OcularPrime and many more: goo.gl/HlQxl5
NightTone makes your screen more comfortable, enjoyable and healthier by shifting the colors of your display to a warmer, eye-friendly palette. It makes you sleep and feel better.
It's perfect for everyone's health, especially for people with visual perception problems, light sensitivity or discomfort.
• The science behind the app
The monitor's blue light tricks our circadian rhythm (our natural body clock) into thinking that it’s daytime. It suppresses melatonin (that sends "time to sleep" cues) and builds up histamine that helps wake us up, boosts attention and reaction times. In other words, it resets that feeling of tiredness and hurts our sleep cycle.
Just remember: It's bad to be exposed to sleep-inhibiting blue light during the night.
• Predefined color pallets for common scenarios
- Warm orange for late working hours
- Soft black or inverted colors for dark rooms
- Noisy green for long text reading
- Silky blue for rooms with artificial light
- Tender white for movies night or dark photo work
- All colors are adjustable and can be changed to anything you are comfortable with
- Change the screen brightness and palette to warmer colors
- Configure the display to virtually any color you want
- Invert the screen's colors for better usage in very dark rooms
- Multiple monitors supported
- The app can active itself only during nights (and you can customize the activation hours)
- Start at login, schedule the app and forget it exists. Just enjoy the benefits
- Easy to use and there is absolutely no configuration required
We read your support emails every day, day by day.
Write with confidence any question, feedback or complain and you will receive an answer in a very short period of time.
• Bug fix: NightTone will not close when a screen saver starts or when you monitor goes to sleep
Most Helpful Reviews
I like it - I just purchased NightTone. I had been using Night Shift on my iPhone and was looking for the same type of feature for my Mac Pro. I found that, while there is a Night Shift for High Sierra, it only works with Apple monitors (just a guess. I don’t know this as a fact). I use a super-wide LG curved monitor, so my display options do not include Night Shift. So, as an alternative, I’d been using funky blue-blocker reading glasses at night. This evening, immedicatly after downloading NightTone, I clicked the small cloud/moon icon in the menu bar, selected Turn on Tone Now, and the relief to my eyes was instant; I could actually feel the difference. I was also able to set a schedule so the display will always toggle on/off based on the time of day.
Doesn’t open - Bought paid version. Won’t open. Waste of money.
More Reviews for Current Version
Great when it works - It works sometimes but not always, have no idea what disrupts it. I've reached out for support but it's hard to troubleshoot, haven't been able to get it to be consistent.
It's alright, but it has one massive bug - I'll change my review when this gets fixed... I'm trying to update Nightshift but I can't quit the app. I've tried uninstalling it but that doesn't work either. I can't get rid of it.
Fine for one monitor, multi-screen is inconsistent - Tried this because I wanted a simple way to adjust brightness on both monitors. It works as expected on one monitor, but when using on both it makes my laptop screen way dimmer than my external monitor. I'm talking an extreme difference that makes it unusable. Other apps I've tried that dim screens don't have this issue.
Night Tone is a NightMare - I can't update it. I want to DELETE it, but I can't find how to do it. It won't allow itself to update and I can't find a way to close it. Please help.
Works great! - I had a problem and the developer fixed it for me. Thank you! This is a great app.