Developer: Ron Elemans
Current Version: 2.1.2
Last Updated: 12 days ago
Download Size: 9.7 MB - Download
Movie Explorer scans all your internal, external and network drives for digital movie files like MKV, M4V, AVI and MP4 and saves them in an attractive movie catalog for off line browsing, searching, tracking, sharing and more.
Get started quickly
• Add movie files by indexing your local drives and network shares
• Movie Explorer matches your digital cinema movie files automatically with movie titles using metadata provided by TMDb
Find and play what you like
• Find movies using the search box, or one of the many sidebar filters
• Search for an actor or director and find all other movies you own with this actor or director
• Play movies using the default media player
• Or use any other media player, using the ‘Play with’ feature
Explore for more
• The special Info view shows you all movie metadata, actors and more in a separate window
• Enjoy original poster art work and high res movie stills using the Gallery view feature
• Open directly the related IMDb page for a movie, show, actor or crew member
• Files view shows you important details like video format, bit rate, audio channels and more
Upgrade to Movie Explorer Pro, with a PRO subscription
• Add Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD and DVD discs by scanning their barcodes, using the built-in FaceTime camera
• Or simply add your discs by using an external USB barcode scanner
• Import your iTunes or Apple TV library
• Catalog your TV show files and discs, and manage them using the special TV Shows view
• We offer monthly and yearly Movie Explorer PRO subscriptions
• You can try Movie Explorer Pro by using the free 14-Day Trial
• The trial is fully functional and ends automatically
Track what you’re watching [PRO upgrade]
• Mark movies and episodes as watched, or unwatched
• Use global filters to show only unwatched, watched or Watchlist items
• Rate and review movies and episodes, and filter on your own ratings
• Add movies and episodes to the Watchlist for easy access
• Automatic update of the Watchlist when you set an episode to Watched
• Sync Watched, Paused and Watchlist status with Trakt.tv
Define your own filters and lists [PRO upgrade]
• Add your own custom filters to the sidebar, using Queries
• With a Query, you can interactively define your own selection, using multiple criteria
• Use Lists to make your own collections of movies, shows, actors, directors and more
• Queries and Lists can be separately exported to PDF, HTML and CSV
Share your collection [PRO upgrade]
• Export your complete collection, or a selection, to beautifully designed PDF or HTML files
• Or export your technical collection data to a CSV file, compatible with Excel and Numbers
• Share individual movies to Mail, Messages, Notes and any other supported standard share option
• Lend Blu-rays and DVD to friends, and keep track of what you've lent out, and to whom
State of the art
• 100% native macOS app using standard interaction controls
• Touch Bar support for all major views
• Full Dark Mode and Accent color support
• Keyboard friendly navigation and interaction
About PRO upgrade subscriptions
We offer monthly and annual subscriptions. Subscriptions will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew after unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. After cancelling a subscription, the app will continue as standard version with standard data when the current subscription period ends.
Support and feedback
If you need support with this app, please visit the online documentation and support pages, or mail to [email protected] to get in contact with the developer. Please send your comments, ideas, tips, suggestions, complains or compliments to [email protected] Thank you!
• Improved compatibility with recent metadata service changes.
• Added support for opening .dvdmedia files if a compatible player exists.
• You can now open Apple TV files stored outside the default Movies folder.
Most Helpful Reviews
REALLY GREAT Software, Disappointing Greed - This software is really phenomenol at what it does. Well thought out and nice user interface. Huge problem is that they want to charge you monthly or yearly to use the software. This is not a service! It's software. Let the consumer buy the software and use it, not charge them a rolling & continuous fee to use it. No thanks. UPDATE: After response from the developer, I misunderstood the options in the "In-app Purchases" Menu. It appeared that the only options were a free 14 day trial, or monthly or annual subscriptions. Those options are for the PRO version only. The stand alone version without the pro features is actuall free to use and really good software.
The subscription is fine, but you cannot took away what's purchased before - You can add subscription to features after you change the model. But cannot just move away what's purchased.
More Reviews for Current Version
Fantastic app, needs a few key features (updated) - Amazing app, subscribed to pro. Thanks for excellent work developing it. Please, please, please add the following features: ⚛ Refresh all locations with a single click -- queue them up, scan them one by one, whatever the app needs to do. I have 9 locations, 12000 files, and it is a pain to press refresh, wait 15 minutes or so, press refresh on the next drive, and over and over again -- every day! ⚛ Scheduled auto-refresh of library locations ⚛ Please move the database to iCloud so that we can have two or more instances of the app running across different computers. I understand this doesn't work well for local library locations, but it would work for anyone who shares their libraries and accesses them via /Volumes/xxxx ⚛ Ability to add queries as custom genres and then to be able to put them in the genre list on the sidebar (eg. query: "genre contains: romance genre contains: comedy", save as cusom genre: romantic comedy, add to sidebar as a genre" ⚛ Please move the export templates out of the export-config plist so I can modify them. Perhaps an option to allow overrides in the advanced menu. Just an option to point to a folder and to override the config plist if there is our own one in there. Don't need to document it, just free it from its .app folder prison please! :-D ⚛ TMDB ratings are very low quality. Many of us have the 100,000 per day api keys for OMDB and would appreciate being able to put our key into Movie Explorer and have the app replace ratings with more comprehensive ones from IMDB as provided through an OMDB link. Have code to make the link if that helps! ⚛ "Show In Finder" in as many context menus as is appropriate please! ⚛ Ability to show and hide various fields that I don't care about in the side panels, like'specifications' or 'crew' or 'history'. ⚛ Ability to change font size in the side panel. Right now it's either small or small. ⚛ Right click on a movie poster should show a quick star rating option "★★★★★" -- switching between tabs in the side panels to find the rating one is time consuming. ⚛ Hidden movies - Right click on a movie to keep it in the database but hide it from the main view, especially the default non-query list like "all movies". I like a big movie collection - I personally don't like horror, but want to keep it in case someone else wants to watch one. In that rare event they can browse them in a 'hidden' list or perhaps in a genre list with the option to show or hide hidden movies. ⚛ I run the app on a 2012 mac mini. The app is very fast and smooth when all it is doing is scrolling through movies, but when refreshing locations it slows to a crawl. Perhaps the app could detect that and adjust the refresh rate accordingly. got lots more ideas! robert