MainStage 3 lets you take your Mac to the stage with a full-screen interface optimized for live performance, flexible hardware control, and a massive collection of plug-ins and sounds that are fully compatible with Logic Pro X.
The Ultimate Live Rig
• Perform live with more than 80 instrument, effect, and MIDI plug-ins or work with Audio Units plug-ins
• Add your sounds from Logic Pro X and GarageBand to bring your studio sound to the stage
• Support for the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro provides convenient controls for layout, editing, and performance
• Combine instruments and live audio, such as keyboards and vocals, in a single Patch
• Switch between Patches without stopping sound output or cutting off held notes
• Design rich keyboard Patches using splits and layers, the Arpeggiator, and other MIDI plug-ins
• Perform with stereo or multitrack backing tracks using Playback
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger sampled instruments
• Connect your favorite hardware and use it to play and control your plug-ins
• Use USB and MIDI-equipped controllers like keyboards, foot pedals, and drum pads
• Instantly set up a large variety of hardware using automatic device recognition
• Quickly assign hardware knobs, buttons, and faders to onscreen controls
• Manage sophisticated rigs using the Assignments & Mapping overview
Designed for the Stage
• See only what you need during your performance using a customizable, full-screen live interface
• Screen controls adapt for each Patch using Smart Controls
• Smart Controls offer dynamic performance controls that change with each Patch
• Easily view your Mac screen from a distance using a high-contrast, full-screen performance view
• Play deeply sampled, professionally mixed, and fully customizable drum kits provided by Drum Kit Designer
• Perform electronic beats with the Ultrabeat drum machine
• Play classic ’70s- and ’80s-style synthesizer sounds using Retro Synth
• Play faithful models of vintage keyboards with Vintage B3, Vintage Electric Piano, and Vintage Clav
• Perform inspired sounds using a collection of synths that provide analog, wavetable, FM, additive, granular, spectral, and modeling synthesis
• Quickly find sounds or create unique new ones with Alchemy, the ultimate sample manipulation synthesizer
• Play or create a wide variety of rich sampled instruments with the EXS24 Sampler
• Turn your favorite hardware synthesizers into sampled instruments using the Auto Sampler plug-in
• Transform simple ideas into elaborate performances using nine MIDI plug-ins
• Instantly turn a simple chord into a rich performance with the Arpeggiator
• Play a single note to trigger predefined chords with Chord Trigger
• Perform a part and conform notes to a specific scale using Transposer
Creative and Production Effects
• Play your sounds through realistic acoustic spaces using Space Designer convolution reverb
• Use a range of multi-tap, vintage tape, and stereo delays
• Add movement to your tracks with a variety of modulation effects
• Get the perfect mix with a collection of EQs, dynamics, and other mixing tools
Guitar and Bass Gear
• Build your own guitar or bass rig with Amp Designer using vintage and modern amps, cabinets, and mics
• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of delay, distortion, and modulation stompboxes
• Access a full-screen Tuner to quickly get in tune
• Over 1800 instrument and effect Patches
• More than 750 meticulously sampled instruments
• 4600 Apple Loops in modern urban and electronic genres
Minimum System Requirements
• Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
• 6GB available disk space for minimum install / 57GB hard disk for full Sound Library installation
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes
Most Helpful Reviews
What’s with the mediocre reviews? - MainStage is my guitar workhorse. I use it every day, and have done so since version 1 appeared. There’s no equivalent product from anyone else. MainStage has all the power of the best DAWs (no surprise — it’s a Logic spinoff), but optimized for live performance. The ability to design custom setups to suit your instrument, gear, style, and musical needs is unprecedented and unique. Many of the complaints here seem to be standard Apple beefs. (“My fly-by-night interface manufacturer is slow to respond to Mac upgrades,” or “It won’t run with my 1987 Mac Plus.”) Assuming you have a Mac from the last four years or so and have upgraded your OS in the last year or two, there should be no unsurmountable problems. There is literally no competition for this brillaint and open-ended musical tool. Plus you get access to almost all the great plug-ins from Logic at an almost comically low price. (And contrary to what another review states, my MS sets are packed with NI Kontakt instances, and I’ve never encountered issues. Some people may need to read up on optimizing setting in MS and Kontakt, though.) Don’t believe the haters — MainStage is IT for customizable OS X performance software.
Bring Back 3.0.3!!! - I use MainStage for a great deal of my gigging, and stupid me, had “auto updates” turned on. Now, instead of getting the work-horse app that I was used to in 3.0.3, I get a buggy experience that constantly chokes on even loading the simplest of concerts. The chanel strip frezes up when I try to switch patches, etc. Really, just a horrible experience rendering MainStage 3 completely useless to me on a heaving gig weekend. Guess I’ll have to go back to MainStage 2 for a bit until they get these bugs worked out.
More Reviews for Current Version
Incredibly Powerful Software! - Love this app and have used it for years! It has allowed me to bring my live-keys playing to the next level. FEATURE REQUEST: Please consider adding MIDI Bussing within mainstage! It'd be SO handy to pass midi through a software instrument channel strip with Midi FX and bus it to another channel strip! More specifically, the ability to have MidiFX on a patch-level Instrument channel strip and send midi through those effects and then to another software instrument channel strip at the concert level! This would be a game changer for a lot of pro users.
Terrible and terrible service from App store - Very buggy. Brand new Macbook Pro and the files have a clicking sound each time I use them. Doesn't happen with any other software or midi files so I'm sure it is this. Reported the problem and tried to get a refund from App store. They denied it with no explanation. Thanks for nothing Apple.
Parameter Value - Mainstage is awesome for what it is and very versatile for live performance. There seem to be some bugs. For instance I am unable to keep parameter values using the "Keep" setting or even the "reset" setting. It doesn't sync up or save correctly. When you reboot a few times it will seem to work for a while but it's a minor thing to worry about.
I use it live all the time - People ask me what I'm running all the time because the tonewheel organ sound is so good. I just want the ability to run two different keyboards easily, so I can do a Rhodes Hammond setup and switch one out at a time (e.g. if I want to use a grand piano, or do both manuals of an organ)
It was cool... - I purchased Main Stage 3 a couple years ago (maybe?) and it used to work and everything. Now I deleted it awhile ago to save some room until i could get an external HD. So, Now i want to redownload it and when i click it it does the load wheel for 3 seconds and wont download. I tried customer service and FAQ's but there is no way to report my issue. I would like to be refunded for the app since it doesn't work anymore, or have it fixed on the app store so I can re-download it.