Developer: Snowmint Creative Solutions LLC
Current Version: 6.8.2
Last Updated: 1 year ago
Download Size: 12.1 MB - Download
Tired of living payday to payday? Can't get out of debt? Try a better way to manage your bank account(s). Budget is based on the tried and true envelope method of budgeting. It's a much easier way to see where your money is, where it's needed, and where it went.
Budget can be used stand alone or synced with Budget Touch on iOS devices. When used together Budget and Budget Touch are an unbeatable combination to help you manage your money, stay out of debt, and save for the fun things in life.
- Set a password to protect your financial data with industry standard AES-128 encryption.
- Fast transaction entry: Select from a list of previous entries or type a new entry, enter an amount, and click Record. It's that simple.
- Transaction support for deposits, checks, debits, ATM, charges, refunds, and credit card payments.
- Create transactions in single envelopes or split them between multiple envelopes.
- Enter your income to a single envelope or use the split deposit to manually distribute it.
- Transfer money between envelopes or accounts.
- Import OFX or QIF files from your bank for even less data entry; set up rules to help assign imported transactions to the correct envelope.
- Create as many bank accounts, credit card accounts, envelopes and envelope groups as you want to categorize your expenses.
- Customize your accounts and envelopes with built in icons.
- Set spending limits for your envelopes and see graphically how you are doing.
- See account balances, envelope balances, net balances, and a running balance with your transactions.
- Bank accounts can be reconciled (balanced) against bank statements.
- Get graphs and reports for expenses, deposits, budgets, and many more.
- Export your data in either tab-separated, QIF or OFX format.
- Export reports in plain text or PDF format.
- Define your income and have Budget calculate how much to put towards each envelope.
- Automatically distribute your income to your envelopes.
- If needed, prioritize and distribute deposits to envelopes using a powerful rule based system.
- iCal and Address Book integration.
US English, British English, partial Spanish, French, German, Italian and Polish translations
It's bug fix time:
- main window transaction list can be sorted once again by clicking the column headers
- fixed a crash during sync or saving a file
- no longer write bad data to XML files when copy/pasting text into transaction fields
- fixed a bug when printing some reports
Most Helpful Reviews
happy customer since 2003 - I started using Budget in January 2003 because I was annoyed with having to buy a new version of the big-name personal finance software every few years. I also wanted a way to handle my money that would work like Dad's old cash-only envelope system of budgeting. That is, each time you get paid, you distribute the money into different envelopes (or buckets, categories, etc.) for different expense categories. Then when you spend your money, you are forced to think about "what envelope should I use to pay for this" and "do I have enough in that envelope for it." Budget was exactly what I was looking for. It lets you plan and track your spending with as little or as much detail as you want. It's easy to change budgeted amounts for different envelopes as your budget evolves. At the end of the year, I can easily see if I've dedicated too much or not enough money to a given envelope. I also rely heavily on the calendar/reminders feature in Budget. As long as I check in with Budget every few days, I know I won't miss any bill payments, including pesky quarterly, annual, and semiannual bills. I also bought a copy of Budget for my mom, who's retired and living on her own, so that she could more easily plan her finances, pay her bills, and balance her "checkbook." There is a QIF/OFX import feature, but I've never used it. I enter each deposit / withdrawal / charge / payment as I go, and then balance (reconcile) each account monthly against my bank / card statement. Regarding the 1-star reviews, I guess I'd be upset too if I paid good $ for an app and then realized that I don't like it. YOU CAN AVOID THIS SITUATION THOUGH! Click the "Budget Support" link above. There you will find a free trial download, loads of documentation on how to use Budget, and discussion forums where you can get help from fellow users and from the developers themselves. Try it out, and if you don't like it, don't buy it. :)
Savings Tip: Don't Buy This Confusing Application - I found this application to be utterly worthless. Installed it, read the manual, tried to work with it, but found the program completely un-intuitive and un-helpful. Took me and hour and half to import 3 months of simple bank transactions, and the result was that I could see almost nothing informative about where my money was going. This notion of "envelopes" is quaint, but it confuses the issue tremendously. Do yourself a favor and wait for a major re-design of this application before buying.
More Reviews for Current Version
Very reliable, syncs with iPhone, simple to use - I’ve been using this app on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 6 for years now. I can record debits on the iPhone as I make purchases, then sync with my laptop once every week or so. Then I use the app on the laptop to balance the bank accounts once a month, then sync it back to the iPhone. I love the envelope system, that way I can make sure the funds are where they need to be to cover monthly, quarterly, and other bills. Just figure out how much to deposit in each envelope each pay to meet the bill when it is due. If your pay is always exactly the same (mine isn’t) you can set it up so the right amount is automatically deposited in each envelope. I usually tell the app manually how much I want in each envelope, though. There is also an “available” envelope, where any unused funds go for use as needed. Keeps track of your savings, too! There is a lot more functionality available in this app than I need or use, but my finances aren’t too complicated so I don’t need to use the additional functions. The flexibility is there, though, for those who need them. Great App!! I recommend it! Update 11-8-2019. Time to upgrade some hardware, and I love this app so much that I wanted to make sure it is still available and useful with the latest Apple operating systems before I get a new iPhone! It looks like they are finally updating as of this year, 2019. So off to the Apple Store!