Developer: Sol Robots
Current Version: 1.8.6
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 2.6 MB - Download
iota-calc looks like an ordinary scientific calculator - but looks can be deceiving, iota-calc is a revolution! Ordinary calculators just give you an answer, iota-calc will explain why it got the answer it did. With most calculators, if you mistype a number, you have to start all over, iota-calc lets you easily correct any mistakes. Most calculators cover up too much so that your can't see your work, iota-calc has a mini-calc mode, which gives it an uniquely small footprint, but is still fully useable. Plus your last answer shows in the dock and in the application switcher, so if iota-calc gets covered up by another window, you still see your last answer. Other calculators aren't easy to use, iota-calc shines here as well, we've provided a guided tour that will make you an expert very quickly. These are just a few of the reasons why we think iota-calc is special, but you don't need to take for it for it - you can take it for a test drive @
- Supports a rich expression format, which is in most cases identical to what you would type in your programming language. Expression length is unlimited.
- Support for adding unlimited numbers of variables or variable expressions.
- Built-in debugger that lets you see the expression simplified step by step.
- Debugger Back-step lets you backup as many steps as you like so that you can replay critical operations.
- C/C++ operator precedence
- Mouse optional, all calculator commands and functions can be done using the keyboard alone.
- Mini-Calc Mode lets your calculator take up very little screen real estate, and yet remain entirely usable.
- Running paper tape(s) (1 per calculator) for calculations, allows annotations, and is stored between runs.
- Built-in Ascii chart makes it easy to look up even invisible characters.
- View results in big endian (default) or little endian.
- Numerous built-in unit conversions (memory sizes, lengths, areas, volumes, temperatures etc.)
- Built-in great circle route and straight line distance calculators.
- Binary, Octal, Decimal, Hexadecimal, Booleans, Characters, 32/64 bit Hexadecimal Floating Point (out only), UTF-8/UTF-16 (out only)
- Convert automatically between these types in your expression with the keyboard, a button, or a contextual menu.
Operators and Functions:
- Standard: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Modulus, Power, Square Root
- Logarithms: Natural logarithm, log base 10, log base e, e raised to x
- Grouping: Parenthesis
- Variables: Previous Answer
- Bitwise: complement, and, or, xor, shift left, shift right
- Comparators: equals, less than, greater than, less than or equal, greater than or equal
- Logical: and, or, and not
- Trigonometric: Sine, Cosine, Tangent, Hyperbolic-Sine, Hyperbolic-Cosine, Hyperbolic-Tangent, Arc-Sine, Arc-Cosine, Arc-Tangent (2 Variants), Degrees To Radians, Radians to Degrees
- Other: Min, Max, Round, Ceiling, Floor, Absolute Value, Sign
Bits and Bytes: bits, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes, exabytes
Lengths: centimeters, meters, kilometers, inches, feet, yards, miles, nautical miles
Area: square centimeters, square meters, square kilometers, hectares, square inches, square feet, square miles, acres
Volume: milliliters, liters, teaspoons, tablespoons, fluid ounces, cups, pints, quarts, gallons, cubic feet
Weights and Masses: grams, kilograms, ounces, pounds, tons
Temparature: celsius, fahrenheit, kelvin
- e, Pi, and the "Ultimate Answer"
- Tab key now cycles as follows: moves the cursor to just before next comma, and then just after it (great for adding parameters to a function), after the final comma the next tab press takes the cursor to the end of the expression, another tab press then moves the cursor to the results field (evaluating the expression first). Pressing tab in the results field places the cursor at the beginning of the expressions field.
- Shift Tab works opposite of the tab key
- Command-A now selects all of the input or output fields (depending on which the cursor currently is in).
- Pasting when the cursor is in the answer field now pastes into the expression field instead.
- Doing a "copy" when nothing is selected in either the expression field or the answer field causes the answer to be copied to the clipboard.
- Reorganized the menus. "Convert", "Calculate" and "Debug" are now part of a new "Calc" menu.
- Added HexColor24 output mode which shows the results in terms of a 24bit color.
- Now computes negative binary and negative octal numbers.
- Now allows you to see the calculator interface at various scaling factors 1x, 1.2x, 1.5x, 1.8x, 2x, 2.5x and 3x. See iota-calc preferences to change the scaling factor.
- Adds a "Restore Factory Defaults" button which restores each preference to its default state.
Most Helpful Reviews
Iota-Calc - I am very dissappointed in this app. First the App is not appropriate for a desktop screen. I have a 27 inch screen, and the APP is about 2 to 3 inches wide, and the same in length. Secondly the app does not always function the way it's supposed to function. I haven't had the app 24 hours and I have already received an error message do to something wrong with the application. I want my money back. The price of this app is not worth it, in fact they should be ashamed of themselves of submitting this app at this price range. I do not recommend this app. Most likely I will spend more money to get another app, to do what this app was suppose to do.
More Reviews for Current Version
It only me - My rating on this calculator is base on the visual presentation. I thought I was going to be able to expand the calculator but that was not the case. This calculator may be good for an iphone screen but not for a 13" MacBook Air. It is too hard on the eyes. I like calculator that display math problems as seen in a math text book or Ti calculator. This calculator is the opposite. But again my 2 star rating was base on the overall visual presentation not the way math problem is display. Hopefully They will do better next time.
Waste - Keep you money this is a waste.