Current Version: 4.14
Last Updated: 2 months ago
Download Size: 30 MB - Download
iThoughtsX is a mind mapping app for the Mac. It is based upon and fully compatible with iThoughts for iOS.
Mindmapping enables you to visually organise your thoughts, ideas and information.
• Task lists.
• Project planning.
• Goal setting.
• Course Notes/Revision.
• Meeting Notes.
Import and export to and from many of the most popular desktop application formats:
• OPML (OmniOutliner, Scrivener etc.)
• Excel/Numbers/Outlook/ToodleDo (CSV)
• Plain/rich text
• ...plus import only support for CMAP, Scapple, Mindmeister, Mindnode, Mindmapper, SimpleMind and MyThoughts
• MS Powerpoint/Keynote (PPTX)
• MS Word/Pages (DOCX)
• MS Project (XML)
• Website (HTML + attachments)
• Flashcard (Quizlet.com / Cram.com)
• Cloud synchronisation with iCloud, Dropbox and WebDAV
• Handoff (start editing a map on one device - finish up on another)
• Send and open email attachements
• Cut/Copy/Paste within and between maps and other apps (e.g. Mail, Safari and Notes etc.)
• Upload and download community generated maps from Biggerplate
Flexible Topic Attributes:
• Colour / Shape
• Images / Icons
• Rich text (using Markdown)
• Hyperlinks (websites, other maps, other topics)
• Callouts / Floating topics
• Named relationships between topics
• Style support (predefined collections of colors, fonts, shapes etc.)
• Assign start/due date, effort, progress, priority and resources
• Email task reports (by project, by resource)
Advanced Mindmap Features:
• Multiple layouts (horizontal, vertical, fishbone etc.)
• Multiple link styles (curved, tapered, right angled etc.)
• Embedded documents (PDF, XLS, DOC etc)
• Over 100 builtin icons, 90 clipart images and 35 background canvas patterns.
• 10 system 'Map Styles'.
• Rules based filtering engine.
• Presentation mode.
• Rule based sorting - including option to sort continuously
First class macOS integration:
• Retina support
• Versions support
• Fullscreen support
• Spotlight integration
• Quicklook support
• Pinch to zoom
Please visit the website for more information, screenshots and videos.
• Simplemind (.smmx) import
• Mindmeister (.mind) import
• Focus lock
• F2 or CMD+RETURN will preselect text
• DVORAK support
• Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Most Helpful Reviews
Mindmaps and more. Easy to use. Fully featured. - I have been a mindmaper for many years but I've always found Mac and PC apps to be clunky and awkward to use. I have tried most of the well-known mindmapping software and haven’t found one that was not a chore to use. I go back to drawing the maps by hand and then copying them into the software. All this changed a couple of years ago when I first found iThoughts for iPad which is so well designed, easy-to-use, and excellent for planning, brainstorming, organizing, and for creating business documents and training. The app doesn’t get in the way. I can focus on the content, shape of the diagram, and the ideas I’m trying to understand or use. Now that iThoughtsX is on the Mac you have the best of both worlds. You can build the diagrams on the iPad or the Mac. You can print them or project them directly from the Mac or iPad. There is full synchronization, as well as cloud backup. iThoughts & iThoiughtsX are so practical they have opened up a whole lot of new uses for my mindmaps. Excellent app. Buy both the Mac and iPad/iPhone/iPod apps so you get the full convenience of these simple yet powerful apps. Oh…. and also….. every couple of months or so there are releases that expand the features and the usability of iThoughts & iThoughtsX.
Great until the update - The recent update was a vast improvement in the areas I found lacking. However, it has completely crippled it for me. I am a medical student, and I heavily rely on images. Before the update, I could drag image directly from the powerpoints. Now they show up as embedded PDFs. The only other option I have is to save each image from a powerpoint then insert them, making the process very tedious. If you use images heavily, I recomend staying away until this is fixed.
More Reviews for Current Version
Outstanding! Feature-rich, easy-to-use, and beautiful - This is so easy to use, and ye so powerful and so feature-rich, and still so beautiful. It’s an amazing accomplishment by the developer and hugely useful for all kinds of projects, from simple to complex. I do not like the "mark-down” aspect (see negative reviewers’ complaints about this) but at the end of the day it’s not that big of a deal, and the benefits of the app far far far outsrip the mark-down inconvenience, which you pretty much ignore anyway. I would strongly recommend that the developer write (or hire someone to write) a better, more comprehensive manual, because the app does a LOT more than the online tutorials and guides suggest. I’d also recommend better integration with either a calendar system (not just export) or with a gantt or with both. Btw, I can’t get the app to import CSV files despite following the instructions. Anyway, I have my complaints about every app, and my complaints about this one are far fewer, and the app is so much better than the alternatives. It may seem pricey compared to some of the super-cheap ones, but it has features that make it worth the investment. I look forward to further development of the app — In the meantime, it’s a joy to use. P.S. The develop is VERY responsive to inquiries (and is very nice even if you ask dumb questions, which I’ve done!).