Current Version: 4.12
Last Updated: 2 months ago
Download Size: 29.7 MB - Download
iThoughtsX is a mind mapping app for the Mac. It is based upon and fully compatible with iThoughts for iOS. Windows version now available too.
Mindmapping enables you to visually organise your thoughts, ideas and information.
• Task lists.
• Project planning.
• Goal setting.
• Course Notes/Revision.
• Meeting Notes.
Import and export to and from many of the most popular desktop application formats:
• OPML (OmniOutliner, Scrivener etc.)
• Excel/Numbers/Outlook/ToodleDo (CSV)
• Plain/rich text
• ...plus import only support for Mindnode, Mindmapper and MyThoughts
• MS Powerpoint/Keynote (PPTX)
• MS Word/Pages (DOCX)
• MS Project (XML)
• Website (HTML + attachments)
• Flashcard (Quizlet.com / Cram.com)
• Cloud synchronisation with iCloud, Dropbox and WebDAV
• Handoff (start editing a map on one device - finish up on another)
• Send and open email attachements
• Cut/Copy/Paste within and between maps and other apps (e.g. Mail, Safari and Notes etc.)
• Upload and download community generated maps from Biggerplate
Flexible Topic Attributes:
• Colour / Shape
• Images / Icons
• Rich text (using Markdown)
• Hyperlinks (websites, other maps, other topics)
• Callouts / Floating topics
• Named relationships between topics
• Style support (predefined collections of colors, fonts, shapes etc.)
• Assign start/due date, effort, progress, priority and resources
• Email task reports (by project, by resource)
Advanced Mindmap Features:
• Multiple layouts (horizontal, vertical, fishbone etc.)
• Multiple link styles (curved, tapered, right angled etc.)
• Embedded documents (PDF, XLS, DOC etc)
• Over 100 builtin icons, 90 clipart images and 35 background canvas patterns.
• 10 system 'Map Styles'.
• Rules based filtering engine.
• Presentation mode.
• Rule based sorting - including option to sort continuously
First class macOS integration:
• Retina support
• Versions support
• Fullscreen support
• Spotlight integration
• Quicklook support
• Pinch to zoom
Please visit the website for more information, screenshots and videos.
• Compressed Layout Option (see more on one screen)
• Cost field in Task Settings (with rollup option)
• Markdown attributes now toggle (CMB+B etc)
• Show task panel for multiple selected topics
• Keyboard shortcuts for editing cost/effort quickly (c and e)
• Change to map style didn't redraw topics
• Attempting to remove progress from multiple topics can set the parent to be rollup
• Strip whitespace from topics when copy/pasting
• Bullet point layout issue
• Drag image onto topic which already has a link - the link will be removed.
Most Helpful Reviews
Mindmaps and more. Easy to use. Fully featured. - I have been a mindmaper for many years but I've always found Mac and PC apps to be clunky and awkward to use. I have tried most of the well-known mindmapping software and haven’t found one that was not a chore to use. I go back to drawing the maps by hand and then copying them into the software. All this changed a couple of years ago when I first found iThoughts for iPad which is so well designed, easy-to-use, and excellent for planning, brainstorming, organizing, and for creating business documents and training. The app doesn’t get in the way. I can focus on the content, shape of the diagram, and the ideas I’m trying to understand or use. Now that iThoughtsX is on the Mac you have the best of both worlds. You can build the diagrams on the iPad or the Mac. You can print them or project them directly from the Mac or iPad. There is full synchronization, as well as cloud backup. iThoughts & iThoiughtsX are so practical they have opened up a whole lot of new uses for my mindmaps. Excellent app. Buy both the Mac and iPad/iPhone/iPod apps so you get the full convenience of these simple yet powerful apps. Oh…. and also….. every couple of months or so there are releases that expand the features and the usability of iThoughts & iThoughtsX.
Great until the update - The recent update was a vast improvement in the areas I found lacking. However, it has completely crippled it for me. I am a medical student, and I heavily rely on images. Before the update, I could drag image directly from the powerpoints. Now they show up as embedded PDFs. The only other option I have is to save each image from a powerpoint then insert them, making the process very tedious. If you use images heavily, I recomend staying away until this is fixed.
More Reviews for Current Version
Wowza - iThoughts is amazing. It’s one of the two most useful and most used apps on my mac, the other one being omnifocus. iThoughts is an amazing productivity tool. Once you figure it out and how it flows, it’s a great and fast tool for generating thoughts and grouping them quickly and efficiently. It’s easy on the back side of that brainstorming to go back and add more organization by changing the colors of specific groups, changing the way the outline looks, etc. It’s all just so darn easy once you get the groove of it. I’ve probably been using it for five or six years and I have now bought this program for every device I own: mac, windows, iPad, iPhone. This developer is very responsive with quick answers back by email to questions. There are a couple of things that I think aren’t in iThoughts yet and would be important additions. The first of those is the ability to password protect documents. Much of the information that I put into iThoughts is highly confidential from a business perspective and, since docs cannot be protected, I find myself trying to figure out how I can hide them on thumb drives or whatever. It’s less than ideal. It would also be good if there were a better flow for being able to access documents between computers and portable devices. It is possible now, but it seems tedious and doesn’t flow well. Those pieces of input aside, I wouldn’t be deterred. iThoughts is the real deal and deserved a great review.
This app is essential! - I have been using this app for several years now after the demise of mindmanager for mac. I wish I had found this app sooner. It is very simple to use, intiutive, and the developer gives outstanding support! It is my go-to app when needing to brainstorm or even outline speeches/book chapters - it assists, rather than impedes, the flow of your thoughts. Highly recommended.