Current Version: 10.1.8
Last Updated: 4 months ago
Download Size: 2.1 GB - Download
With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Improves overall stability
Introduced in Version 10.1.7
• Adds support for importing video in the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) format with macOS High Sierra
• Improves compatibility when sharing to YouTube
Most Helpful Reviews
Nice and easy to use product - I’m baffled at how many people rate this app as a 5 star or a 1 star. I recently bought my first Mac, although I've owned an iPhone and iPad for many years. I’ve used various movie making apps for those devices so I wanted one for my mac. I’m still a novice to movie making, but I created my first video show for my wife’s school project. I was able to easily incorporate photos, videos, music, and a voice over with little to no experience on something of this magnitude. I’m honestly impressed with iMovie, and I can’t complain whatsoever. It was smart enough to know to lower the music volume on its own, when we did the voice over. I had to adjust NOTHING. So for those that have complained about this app, I have no clue what they are looking for…..Hollywood video maker?? Anyway, a big thanks to the developers of this app. I appreciate you keeping it simple yet powerful to fulfil multiple projects.
Absolutely awful - Apple just refuses to leave well enough alone when it comes to their software. I used to create band promo videos with EASE with the previous version, imported audio & video, synced everything up, edited clips, and came out with a good final product… NOW?? they have discontinued some of the features and created an entirely new interface. 3 calls to tech support to try and figure it out only to find out it will no longer do what I need it to do. WHY DISCONTINUE USEFUL FEATURES?? Why make an interface LESS user friendly??? Not only that, when I upgraded from the previous version, I lost a good deal of my existing projects… Poof!!! gone, not recoverable. And one of the imovie ‘specialists’ at tech support actually told me he doesn’t use imovie so doesn’t really know all the features…. omigod!! Apple, I am absolutely furious that, having learned how to use the previous version of iMovie, I now have to search for and purchase a different software program and learn how to use it simply to accomplish the same thing . They’v done it with iTunes also, every time there’s a major update it becomes less user friendly. If I could just break off from Apple completely after this I would, I am that upset.
More Reviews for Current Version
HATE this product!! - At one time, this was really a useful product. You could create videos with ease, but now it is a worthless piece of junk. When I go to create a movie, and then I try to choose pictures from the albums that I have in iPhoto library, there is only about 6-7 albums that are actually showing up out of about 20-30, and none of them have the pictures in them that I want to use. I selected Years as the way to view my photos, but once I’m in there, I can’t figure out how to get back to go to different years. Apple just will not leave well enough alone, and I’m getting sick and tired of it!! Linux or Windows is looking better all the time!!!
Lagging issue.. - My iMovie worked great up until about a few months ago.. Now, It constantly lags when editing videos which makes it highly annoying to edit 10-20 minutes of video. I also am not able to get the new update because my iMac is a older model. I have tried clearing out my hard drive, and now even though I have a significant amount of space on it, it still lags. I still cannot figure out how to stop it from lagging but I guess I need to start looking for a new editor.
A disaster - I am using iMovie since many many years and had always been quite happy … until those last weeks. Since Version 10.1.7, I am simply not able to import anything from my Sony camera (and it was working fine with previous iMovie versions and the same camera!). When downloading the MTS files from my camera and importing them into iMovie, I was able to built a project and a movie file BUT with no sound (the MTS had AC3 sound track). Again all this was working fine before. I was very excited to see Apple releasing 10.1.8 few days ago but now it is even worst. When selecting anything in the Import window (camera or a file already on my computer), the import button turns blue as expected but nothing happens when I click on it. So now, I cannot import anything in iMovie. I am not sure what is happening at Apple but please HELP and deliver functioning software as this is why I moved from Windows to Apple computers!!
A BIG STEP TOWARDS DISFUNCTIONAL, COUNTER-INTUITIVENESS - I have used iMovie for several years to efficiently and sucessfully creatate slideshows which I imported into iDVD as chapters. Unfortunately, Apple no longer supports iDVD. More unfortunately, recent iMovie upgrades (they seem more like downgrades) have rendered the program virtually unuseable. The revised iMovie program is no longer even remotely intuitive. I would bet my left arm that Apple has assigned an ex Microsoft programmer to update iMovie. Please reassign that person(s), and assign someone who thinks like a normal Apple programmer to fix iMovie. Also, there seems to be no coordination between the iMovie revisions and the revisions to the operating system for the iMAC. If there are more photos taken worldwide on iPhones, as Apple claims, seems to me Apple would want to provide a product for folks to easily create and save slideshows of their more memorable photos. Just sayin’. I have tried several times to work with the latest couple of revisions to iMovie. But, frankly, it just isn’t worth my time. I am trying to find a 3rd party movie/video authoring program, one that works as well as the older versions of iMovie.
we are witnessing the downfall of the once greatest software company ever - i have a powerful macbookpro and this is THE REASON to have a mac for me. one of the last few left. this program never works. its always the spinning wheel. choppy video playback. always have to close open start again ever few mins. the new version dropped usful features. what a shock. apple is dropping everything that doesnt steer you to a purchase. which is steering people away from apple. sad hardware choices and feature cuts and the company i have loved for so long is being flushed. we will never see its like again.