With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Fixes an issue which could add a red tint to video imported from some camcorders
• Addresses an issue which prevented some videos shot on iPhone from appearing in the import window
• Improves performance and stability
Introduced in Version 10.1.3
• Support for Touch Bar on MacBook Pro lets you quickly add video clips to your movie, or use them to create picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Tap the Touch Bar to play your movie, split a clip, or easily adjust the volume of any clip
• Ability to delete render files to recover drive space
Most Helpful Reviews
Nice and easy to use product - I’m baffled at how many people rate this app as a 5 star or a 1 star. I recently bought my first Mac, although I've owned an iPhone and iPad for many years. I’ve used various movie making apps for those devices so I wanted one for my mac. I’m still a novice to movie making, but I created my first video show for my wife’s school project. I was able to easily incorporate photos, videos, music, and a voice over with little to no experience on something of this magnitude. I’m honestly impressed with iMovie, and I can’t complain whatsoever. It was smart enough to know to lower the music volume on its own, when we did the voice over. I had to adjust NOTHING. So for those that have complained about this app, I have no clue what they are looking for…..Hollywood video maker?? Anyway, a big thanks to the developers of this app. I appreciate you keeping it simple yet powerful to fulfil multiple projects.
Removed Features from iMovie 9 - I’m seriously disappointed that Apple has decided to remove standard features from the previous version of iMovie. Apple, please add back the ability to custumize export settings like “Export using QuickTime…” where you were able to choose bit rate, etc. in order to influence file size and quality. Until this gets added back, I will be using iMovie 9. The beautiful interface of this new version is worthless without important power features. You can’t even export the audio on it’s own with this new version. Bottom line - you shouldn’t REMOVE features from a program… standard policy should be to ADD features. STILL NEED TO ADD BACK FEATURES. A little tip, pretty much a no-brainer, DO NOT remove features from a program and call it an upgrade. I call that idiotic.
More Reviews for Current Version
Extreme Lag - Exremely laggy immediately after the update to the point where I can no longer edit because of my frustration and the amount of lagging and skipping that is going on. Extremely frustrating.
For free video editing, it’s nice - Not sure why this has such poor reviews. I haven’t had any issues like older versions that frequently crashed. This is free video editing software, that in my opinion, is better than other free/trial versions of other software. I see people ask about a ‘save’ button… iMovie automatically saves your projects for you. If you want a copy of it, file > export (acts like a ‘save as’). I wouldn’t expect FinalCut quality out of a free app. iMovie is clean, fairly simple, functional, and a piece of software for free video editing.
Bring back the “Save” and “ Save As”! - It’s really simple, give us the option to Save and Save As. Why? So that we know it was properly saved or saved in a specific location. Every piece of software has the ability to save and save as, just put it back!
NOT LETTING ME EXPORT MOVIE - What is going on? not letting me export my video and keeps saying fail. i’ve tried over and over
Absolute and Utter Garbage - Apple should be ashamed that Microsoft had a better movie maker. And they don’t even offer it anymore. NOT user-friendly in the slightest. Severe lack of editing options, or when you do find them, they are horribly inaccessible.