Current Version: 10.1.6
Last Updated: 4 months ago
Download Size: 2.2 GB - Download
With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Improves stability when updating libraries created with earlier versions of iMovie
• Addresses an issue which could lower the volume of clips after transitions
Introduced in Version 10.1.3
• Support for Touch Bar on MacBook Pro lets you quickly add video clips to your movie, or use them to create picture in picture, green screen, and split screen effects
• Tap the Touch Bar to play your movie, split a clip, or easily adjust the volume of any clip
• Ability to delete render files to recover drive space
Most Helpful Reviews
Nice and easy to use product - I’m baffled at how many people rate this app as a 5 star or a 1 star. I recently bought my first Mac, although I've owned an iPhone and iPad for many years. I’ve used various movie making apps for those devices so I wanted one for my mac. I’m still a novice to movie making, but I created my first video show for my wife’s school project. I was able to easily incorporate photos, videos, music, and a voice over with little to no experience on something of this magnitude. I’m honestly impressed with iMovie, and I can’t complain whatsoever. It was smart enough to know to lower the music volume on its own, when we did the voice over. I had to adjust NOTHING. So for those that have complained about this app, I have no clue what they are looking for…..Hollywood video maker?? Anyway, a big thanks to the developers of this app. I appreciate you keeping it simple yet powerful to fulfil multiple projects.
Removed Features from iMovie 9 - I’m seriously disappointed that Apple has decided to remove standard features from the previous version of iMovie. Apple, please add back the ability to custumize export settings like “Export using QuickTime…” where you were able to choose bit rate, etc. in order to influence file size and quality. Until this gets added back, I will be using iMovie 9. The beautiful interface of this new version is worthless without important power features. You can’t even export the audio on it’s own with this new version. Bottom line - you shouldn’t REMOVE features from a program… standard policy should be to ADD features. STILL NEED TO ADD BACK FEATURES. A little tip, pretty much a no-brainer, DO NOT remove features from a program and call it an upgrade. I call that idiotic.
More Reviews for Current Version
simple yet very important features are still missing - I have dozens of hours of home movies from 25 years ago converted from hi8 tapes, they are obviously in standard definition 4/3 format, and this new iMovie 10, unlike the version 9, will not you let choose the definition and format of your project, everything is HD 16/9! DUMB! And the most baffling loss from the upgrade: KEYWORDS! Keywords are gone!! Why?!? And oh my god how hard is it to re-implement keywords, especially when you have thousands of engineers and billions of cash! I have a libray with 300+ clips, now let's try to manage that without the ability to assign keywords to a clip! SAD! As of version 10.1.6 there is still a lingering and very annoying bug with changing the date/time of a clip: sometimes the change works, sometimes (I still could not figure out why) it does not and the change is reverted the next time you load your library.
unhappy with this app - I downloaded this app last eve. after the app was finished, I went to m Facebook acct. i get this message “Safari cannot connect to the server” “Safari cannot open this page” Before i downloaded this recent app my Facebook acct always worked. i need this fixed—NOW!!!! SHARON
Don’t Upate to this version! - This update, 10.1.6 is seriously broken! I have 60 pictures that will not display in the Viewer so I cannot edit them (apply ken burns, crop, etc) BECAUSE the actual picture is black. I have researched this on the Apple Community and a solution is to resize your pictures to get this to work. That is dumb. I researched that process and I’m not going to dumb down my picture quality in an effort to make this work. As noted below Apple needs to fix this mess ASAP!! (I cannot determine if this occurred in update 10.1.5 because it was very close to this update. Could have been either one. So hold off for a fix to this mess if you can.)
Useless and a waste of time - I didn’t expect it to be great, because I use Adobe Premiere Pro for creating movies. Nonetheless, I had a quick slide show that I wanted to throw together and thought I’d give it a try. The trial was a waste of my time. Couldn’t adjust portrait style images so that the whole image could be viewed. No suggestions anyway. iMovie decides how it wants to display/move your images, and you’re stuck with it. I could have done better with PowerPoint! Apple, you are not attentive to your own apps anymore!
STOP THE WEEKLY UPDATES - STOP THE WEEKLY UPDATES Seriously, bunch all the updates all together once a month or something, but getting an app update notification every week is too much.