Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iOS device or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBooks Store in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBooks Store or iTunes U
• Preview your book in iBooks on iPhone, iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to the iBooks Store for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• macOS 10.11 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 4.3 or later (required for previewing on an iOS device)
• iBooks for Mac 1.3 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
• Add images and videos from the Photos app using the Media Browser or drag and drop
• Support for wide color gamut images
• Performance and stability improvements
Most Helpful Reviews
The Best. - I am surprised why Apple does not promote this product, as it is an amazing resource and one of the best, most intuitive software programs I have ever used to create original creations (Adobe could learn from this with regard to an intutive interface and easy to use product). I feel like I can create without having to spend hours on tutorials, and this is the key to truly wonderful software that doesnt inhibit the creative flow or process (unlike Adobe, which has software engineers design products instead of creative professionals). The ONLY drawback (and it is a big one) is that there are no Windows programs that can run iBook Author creations and this limits the usefulness. I know the Mac is a better learning platform and this is an Apple product, but schools and businesses buy cheap these days and low end Windows computers are unfortunately the usual choice. iBooks Author simply great creative product (even Time Magazine agrees)!
Great Software, Bad Politics - While creating my latest book with iBook Author was enjoyable, as the software is powerful and fun to use, using the ibook format was detrimental to sales. After a mediocre start, I went two whole weeks without a single sale on the iBooks store. Apple says that an .ibooks file can only be sold through the iBooks store. This annoyed my potential customers without an iPad or a Mac. The created document wasn’t even compatibile with the iPhone. One person said they bought an iPad to read my book. But unfortunately, my book wasn’t available India – even though I checked all available regions. That’s a billion blocked customers right there. In general, the iBooks store is cluttered with books. I had trouble finding it listed in the new releases section – and I knew where to look for it. I have since given up on the iBook store and I started converting my book to a normal epub file. The iBook Author software is technically great. I was really impressed with what I could create with iBooks Author. Unfortunately, it’s the rules that ruin the software. To fix this, Apple should allow export to other platforms… like Kindle, PC, iPhone and iPod Touch.
More Reviews for Current Version
Needs a real update - This is a good application with a whole lot of potential, but unfortunately it’s stuck in 2007. The Apple team developing this product have seemingly been kidnapped by some unknown force that is holding them hostage 10 years in the past. I genuinely hope that Apple will pull togther its considerable resources, and put together a rescue mission to save these poor souls from this misfortune. I am sure they are frantically trying to call Cupertino for help from their iPhone 2G. Hopefully, help is on the way.
The best app for creating books! But a few bugs... - This app is a very good app for book creating! And Apple made the layout and desings and stuff so so well!(I am very impressed!) But there is one thing… Sometimes when inmporting media, it slows down your computer for a few minutes and it gets very hot...
iBooks is great, but… - This app could be much better when Apple decides to update it with more features. Features that include more engaging templates and a wide variety of widgets with associated material. A library of 3D objects would benefit. Some HTML content would be appreciated.
Desperately Needs Feature & Design Updates - iBooks Author has been sorely left behind. This app should parallel the iWork suite and be given the same design and feature updates that Pages, Numbers & Keynote get. Instead it has been left behind, not even recieving an aesthetic facelift to match design language introduced in Yosemite. Please give iBooks Author much needed attention. One idea, drop “iBooks” from the name, impliment iAd Producer capabilities and allow for publishing to iBooks or Apple News.
No Footnotes makes No Go - iBooks Author is a cool idea.1 It could be improved though.2. Its been around for awhile now,3 and it could revolutionize reading except it doesn’t have footnote and endnote support.4 That makes it more of a toy than a useful app. There would be an easy fix though: add footnote and endnote support. 1. Except that it doesn’t have footnotes or endnotes support. 2. By having footnote and endnote support. 3. In fact, for years, and with no footnote or endnote support yet. 4. Why this hasn’t happened yet escapes me.