Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iOS device or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBooks Store in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBooks Store or iTunes U
• Preview your book in iBooks on iPhone, iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to the iBooks Store for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• macOS 10.11 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 4.3 or later (required for previewing on an iOS device)
• iBooks for Mac 1.3 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
• New templates for creating interactive ePub books
• Support for publishing to iBooks using an Apple ID with two-factor authentication enabled
• Improved workflow when publishing books on behalf of multiple sellers
• Performance and stability improvements
Most Helpful Reviews
The Best. - I am surprised why Apple does not promote this product, as it is an amazing resource and one of the best, most intuitive software programs I have ever used to create original creations (Adobe could learn from this with regard to an intutive interface and easy to use product). I feel like I can create without having to spend hours on tutorials, and this is the key to truly wonderful software that doesnt inhibit the creative flow or process (unlike Adobe, which has software engineers design products instead of creative professionals). The ONLY drawback (and it is a big one) is that there are no Windows programs that can run iBook Author creations and this limits the usefulness. I know the Mac is a better learning platform and this is an Apple product, but schools and businesses buy cheap these days and low end Windows computers are unfortunately the usual choice. iBooks Author simply great creative product (even Time Magazine agrees)!
Great Software, Bad Politics - While creating my latest book with iBook Author was enjoyable, as the software is powerful and fun to use, using the ibook format was detrimental to sales. After a mediocre start, I went two whole weeks without a single sale on the iBooks store. Apple says that an .ibooks file can only be sold through the iBooks store. This annoyed my potential customers without an iPad or a Mac. The created document wasn’t even compatibile with the iPhone. One person said they bought an iPad to read my book. But unfortunately, my book wasn’t available India – even though I checked all available regions. That’s a billion blocked customers right there. In general, the iBooks store is cluttered with books. I had trouble finding it listed in the new releases section – and I knew where to look for it. I have since given up on the iBook store and I started converting my book to a normal epub file. The iBook Author software is technically great. I was really impressed with what I could create with iBooks Author. Unfortunately, it’s the rules that ruin the software. To fix this, Apple should allow export to other platforms… like Kindle, PC, iPhone and iPod Touch.
More Reviews for Current Version
Forgotten by developer - Such a great creative tool!!! Why errors? No sync with photos!
I didn - 1. Working with text styles is awful. It can't normally apply styles to text and I have to click it twice, but in this case all the other styles in the text will be ruined. 2. There is NO WYSIWYG editor! 3. Working with images is also not in quite good way. 4. Pages?! OMG, I didn't find any chance to change page size, especially for EPUB format (it makes it as two pages like landscape mode) 5. So on… I'm not sorry for being so picky-choosy to free application though. I remove this app, because I can't use it as intended.
Heading in the right direction, but... - I discoverd this app while reading a PDF that someone created using iBooks Author. I’ve been using it for a few days now and it is a really nice app EXCEPT I echo what others have said (iCloud sync for one). But…why not make an iPad/iPhone version? Yes it would not be as fully functional (although I don’t understand why…Pages and Numbers are available on the iPad, iPhone and Mac) but right now, when I am away from my Mac, I write on iOS Notes and then I have to transfer what I wrote to iBooks Author on my Mac. Of course, if there is no iCloud sync (like others have pointed out), having an iPad/iPhone app doesn’t make any sense. I truly hope that Apple is not going to only do simple upgrades. This truly is a great app. It has so much potential. Please, Apple, don’t leave us hanging here. Listen to the feedback and keep improving this app. Thank you.
Who’s deciding on update specs - I am mostly repeating what two other users have already said but it bears repeating. For quite some time, iBooks Media Browser will not sync (work with at all) the Photos library or iTunes library. I find this amazing. It seems that Apple is simply providing updates to ensure iBooks (generally) works with the latest OS. Reminds me of the time Apple abandoned Aperture (and its customers). Also, the reviewer that questioned why iBooks does not have all the iCloud syncing abilities of so many other apps is spot on. iBooks feels like an app that is limping along simply to appease customers. Otherwise, if Apple is serious about iBooks, why not provide the necessary resources to provide a proper, fully functional update (including attention to UI improvements). I hope Apple provides the necessary reources to keep iBooks viable. Otherwise Apple, just tell us you no longer care, and drop the rouse.
Really - Nothing works. I cant not access photos of any of the work I did in Pages. what a waist of timne trying to get this to work