You Need a Budget 4
Developer: Steine LLC
Current Version: 4.3.353
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 25.5 MB - Download
Gain Total Control of Your Money
Stop living paycheck to paycheck, get out of debt, and save money faster with YNAB.
"10/10 - YNAB exceeds my expectations in many ways" -- Mac.AppStorm
"Most Popular Personal Finance Software: YNAB" -- Lifehacker.com
5/5 Stars - “I like You Need A Budget 4. A lot. ... Of all the personal financial software I've tried over the years, it rates among the best" -- About.com
One of "10 Personal Finance Tools You Should Use Now. " -- U.S. News & World Report
"YNAB is great stuff - it really is." -- CNN Headline Radio
•• Never heard of YNAB? ••
It's easy-to-use budget software paired with a powerful methodology.
For more info and free live classes, visit: YouNeedABudget.com
Praised across the internet as the "best budgeting software", You Need A Budget (YNAB) cuts to the chase with your finances. YNAB focuses you on the foundation of your finances: the Budget. Experience has shown that when your budget is intact, and functioning correctly, everything else takes care of itself (the bills are paid on time, retirement contributions are made, and unnecessary debt is eliminated).
The software is built around the YNAB Method, which is comprised of our Four Rules. These Four Rules help you break the paycheck to paycheck cycle, get out of debt, and save more money faster. Where other software packages tend to have years of feature creep, YNAB offers exactly what you need: a simple, straightforward system to manage your money. And YNAB offers fantasitic support, including video tutorials, free live budgeting classes, and an active supportive forum community.
••Cloud Sync - stay on budget everywhere••
Check balances and record transactions on the go with the free YNAB iPhone, iPad, and Android apps. Install YNAB on all of your Macs (and even PCs!). They all stay up to date, all the time with Cloud Sync.
There's no more guessing when it comes to spending decisions. With your budget always up to date, whether on your partner's iPhone, your Android, or at home on your Mac, you'll know in a moment that it's okay to head out to eat. Enjoying yourself is part of the plan*.
*That's a code word for 'budget'
••Get Off the Financial Roller Coaster••
YNAB lets you easily set aside funds for larger, less-frequent bills. $600 car insurance premium due in six months? Budget $100 each month into your 'Car insurance' category and watch the balance grow. When the bill is due, you pay it and everything is fine. What used to send you into financial "crisis mode" now doesn't phase you.
YNAB shows you what needs to happen *now* so you can handle what happens *next*. The quality of your spending decisions will skyrocket and you'll be managing your money better than you ever thought possible.
••Money Management Made Simple••
YNAB will happily import downloaded transactions in all the popular formats. It doesn't talk to your bank directly, but many of our customers find themselves ditching importing all together, or just using it to ensure they didn't miss anything. Their money awareness increases right along with their bank account balance. This is no chore! Most of our users spend less time managing their money than ever before. How? Scheduled transactions, an interface designed for fast entry, and mobile apps for entry on the go.
••Save More, Faster••
After one month, the median net worth increase for a YNABer is $200! After one month! After nine months, the median net worth increase is $3,300! The sky is truly the limit!
How is this possible? Most budget software asks you to guess a number on the 1st, inevitably leaving you to feel guilty on the 31st because you guessed wrong. YNAB is a new kind of budget - a flexible budget that helps you deal with overspending and makes it easy to save for your goals.
Check out our awesome, supportive community, and participate in one of our free live classes at YouNeedABudget.com
Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-C will now clear selected transactions on the register screen even if the focus is in a text field. 'C' still works when the focus is not in a text field.
* Currency formatting tweaks
* Added a check and warning for attempts to rename payees to 'Transfer :' on the Payee Settings screen.
* The 'Move to Account' option on the register transaction edit menu is now disabled if there are no other accounts to move the transaction to.
* 'Save a version' will now always save a new version, even if there's been no changes since the last save.
* The Create Budget button is now disabled until a name is entered, preventing blank budget names.
* Using Up and Down arrows on the budget page now cycle from top to bottom and vice versa when reaching the start or end of the rows.
* Renamed 'Year to Date' filter to 'This Year'.
* Clearing a transaction by mouse now occurs on mouseup, rather than mousedown.
* Deleting transactions to be approved by clicking the reminder icon now shows Undo like normal deletions.
* OFX/QFX imports are now better at handling non-standard formatting by certain banks.
* Fresh Start now resets all account balances to 0, to make re-entering current balances easier.
* Categories can no longer be renamed to be blank or only contain spaces.
* The 'Starting Balance' payee is now selectable when filtering reports.
* The 'Edit Payees' button at the bottom of the payee selector dropdown now jumps to the currently entered payee on the Payee Settings dialog when clicked.
* Using 'c' to clear a transaction now works while editing after changing the transaction date
* Fixed YNAB no longer crashes if you delete both sides of a transfer at once in the All Accounts view.
* The automatic, rolling backups could get deleted too frequently, especially if you ran YNAB very frequently. From now on, YNAB will keep backups hourly for a week, daily for a month, and every 15 days from then on.
* The Indian could would cause the budget columns to be misaligned.
* Better Formatting tweak on the UAE Dirham.
* Fixed On slow internal networks, Wifi sync will no longer prematurely time out.
* Fix for Arabic text sometimes causing a crash when viewing reports.
* Fixed an error where uncategorised and unaccepted transfers to off-budget accounts could be ignored when calculating the uncategorised row in the budget.
* Typo in message about moving reconciled transactions.
* Finishing or canceling reconciliation now correctly applies the existing date filter to the register.
* Unmatched transactions now retain their original flag colour.
* The All Outflows summary tooltip on the budget screen now includes split transactions.
* Several rare crashes
* Fixed a bug that could cause YNAB to stop auto-saving in some circumstances after a Fresh Start. (It would still save on exit, but would not publish changes to other devices or save work every 5 seconds as designed)
* Fixed a crash bug that would happen when you tried to rename a category that had been hidden on another device.
* Added more space so the date filter is not cut off when printing the account register.
* Register keyboard shortcuts are no longer handled if the Preferences or Budget Setup screens are showing
* Unmatching a reconciled transaction via the 'Unmatch' button no longer removes the imported transaction.
* Removed 'YNAB 3' reference from sample CSV file
* Importing an OFX/QFX file with no accounts or transactions no longer prevents a second import attempt.
* Prevent a rare crash that can occur when opening the calculator on the budget screen.
* On Windows, YNAB once again restores the window to maximized if it was maximized before restarting.
* Corrected the Ghanaian Cedi ISO code, which also re-adds the Nigerian Naira currency.
* Due to some tweaks in the way bank files are handled, you might have to re-select the account for your bank downloads, but you will only have to do this once.
Most Helpful Reviews
Just Get it! - I’ve used every budget program available for both Windows and Mac. This is, by far, the best! I’ve spent many years using financial programs, budget programs, spreadsheets, etc. What I found was that I was spending a whole lot of time entering data and/or downloading data into programs so that I could look at what I’d spent my money on. Don’t get me wrong, there are programs out there that do a better job at tracking money spent, arranging expenses into categories and reporting the data for you; many of them have decent budget features as well. The problem with all of them is that they show you what’s already happened in great detail yet give you very little guidance as to how to take control of the future - and that is the whole purpose behind budgeting. The problem with the other programs is that they look backwards, when we should be looking forward. It’s not a feature issue, but a philosophy one. YNAB approaches budgets differently and looks forward. It is built around a sound philosophy of looking forward and changing behaviors in order to improve your situation. The bottom line is that it just works. If you get this program and follow it’s philosophy, you will change how you spend money and how you look at finances altogether. Don’t waste your time with others… JUST GET IT!
DO NOT BUY THIS!!! - What a rip off!! This was more than disappointing to me. I blame myself for not doing more research, but assumed with all of the amazing reviews that it was a no brainer. I was wrong. This is a basic and blah budget planner. I did the same thing in excel, but didn't pay $60! You have to manually enter EVERYTHING all of the time. It does NOT connect with real time accounts. There isn't anywhere to enter a salary. You have to enter each and every time you pay a bill. Nowhere to put a bill due date! This is not comprehnsive with how a real budget works... when you get paid vs. when bills are due, etc. This would only be good to teach someone who hasn't ever done a budget before to do their very first budget. For the rest of us... we have graduated and need software that will actually take some of the work out of it for us. I am absolutely floored that there are 104 5 star reviews!! I feel like I need a refund! Way to blow my budget, Steine, LLC!
More Reviews for Current Version
Great product, documentation, support - This is a terrific, polished, really well thought-out product that comes with great tech support. Also includes excellent documentation, videos and seminars.
Great Program - I really like the program Except that you can’t add regular paychecks in separately, it gets added into that month’s income but not budgeted for future income category. It shows an over budget every month until you add in your paychecks in manually. Other than that, it’s a great budget program.
Quickbooks Replacement? Yes!!! - I have begun using YNAB as a complete Quickbooks replacement this year for my small business. It is working great so far, I have not missed Quickbooks for a single thing, and actually have a better understanding of my month-to-month costs and expectations than I did with Quickbooks. I forever tried to budget in Quickbooks, and even my accountant at the time said that budgeting in Quickbooks is extremely tedious and difficult (so I never did it). With YNAB budgeting is simple! I have one set of books for my business, and use a second set for my personal accounting in YNAB, but just running multiple files and storing them on a shared drive on my server. Highly recommended!
Getting out of debt!!!!! - At first i was skeptical. Then i was confused how to categorize everything. Of course then i read a few tutorials. Now it all of the program and their ideas about getting out of debt and be in control of money made sense. Firstly you need to understand to correctly label your debt, credit cards/loans, checking/savings account properly. Start from the first day you open the program and don’t try to do all of the backdating items. I now am able to see the programs main idea, every dollar has a purpose. Seeing where every dollar needs to go is an eye opener. I spent money left and right without a budget and lived paycheck to paycheck and usually came up short at the end of every month. Now i know where every dollar needs to go and how much i have to spend on items like bills, groceries, fuel, and all of my wishes for items in future (christmas, birthdays, that new huge tv). I can see how long each takes to pay and if i have any left over one day i will be able to live off of last month paycheck and not this month’s. Thank you to the crew who put YNAB on the App Store for all who really do need a budget. To see what i have financially and where I want to be is a blessing!!! I will be getting out of debt relatively soon now i see all of this.
Great but still NEEDS improvement - This is a great app, it acts a lot like mint, but you don’t have to give all your confidential account information to some big company who could get hacked. It is easy to keep track of everything except for investments, and the budget allows everything to roll over to next month, more like real life than people who strive to stick to an exact amount every month (this was the big hitter for me). There are many other great features about the software, but they are pretty easy to infer from their description. I encourage you to try the trial if you aren’t sure if it’s right for you. The bad: would be really nice to have a better import feature. It’s almost more time consuming to import transactions than enter them manually. The reconcile feature is nice though, and I will just use that. The other nuiscance is that you have to manually clear each transaction which can be a bit annoying. An “auto clear” would be a nice option to have where it clears just after a couple days of you entering it or something like that. Also, scheduled transactions could use some further improvement. It would be great if it was more customizable and gave you reminders to pay something and how much it was going to cost. Even better if it could know when your credit card statement rolls so you can setup an auto payment for it even. Just a thought.