Yoink - Improved Drag and Drop
Developer: Matthias Gansrigler
Current Version: 3.4.1
Last Updated: 13 days ago
Download Size: 12.2 MB - Download
Yoink simplifies and improves drag and drop between windows, apps, spaces and fullscreen apps.
The app has been repeatedly featured by on the Mac App Store in numerous categories and was recommended by John Gruber of DaringFireball and Federico Viticci of MacStories.
When you start dragging files in Finder or content from an application, Yoink fades in a tiny window at the edge of your screen so you can drag to it.
This frees up your mouse so you can comfortably navigate to the destination of the files and resume the drag from Yoink's window more comfortably.
For a quick video introduction, further information and tips and tricks for getting the most out of Yoink, please visit its website.
Here's what customers say about Yoink:
"Essential. One of the few apps I use all the time." - Kraznoff, US App Store
"Simple, elegant, perfect. This is a fantastic app. It works flawlessly". - Benwiggy, UK App Store
"Handiest utility I ever purchased." - Nrgwise, US App Store
Here's what the press says about Yoink:
"Yoink is a terrific utility for macOS" - John Gruber, DaringFireball.net
"Yoink is a fantastic way to enhance drag'n'drop. Highly recommended." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"Yoink is an awesome drag and drop utility for the Mac and is instrumental to me when working with full screen apps." - Jeff Benjamin, iDownloadBlog
"Yoink makes drag and drop easier." - Dan Frakes, Macworld
"Yoink really makes the whole drag and drop process much less stressful." - Whitson Gordon, lifehacker.com
"I absolutely love this little utility, it's one of the few I've come across that has had staying powers on my Macs." - James Dempsey, The Graphic Mac
If you have any feedback or questions, please do not hesitate to write me by mail at [email protected], or on twitter at @YoinkApp or @eternalstorms.
Thank you for your patience in waiting for this update. I'd like to apologize for the long wait - I got very side-tracked by some contract work and could only recently return to working on my own apps.
- Improved compatibility with Transmit - dragging files from the "local" side of the app to Yoink would result in the file being added twice
- Improved compatibility with Thunderbird - attachments now are accepted more readily
- Improved compatibility with Apple Mail - now properly supports multiple mails (thank you, Christopher Atlan)
- Improved compatibility with Apple Preview - dragging a not-yet-saved image from the thumbnails bar to Yoink now works
- Improved compatibility with Apple Photos - accepts photos more reliably
- Improved compatibility with Sketch - layers can now be inserted using Yoink
- Image files from a "promise drag" now have proper titles again
- When using a script to add files to Yoink, it's now positioned correctly in case the screen's resolution changed between now and Yoink's last use
- Fixed a bug where Yoink would stop working in some cases when dragging something off it
- Fixed a bug that prevented sharing from working
- Fixed wrongly framed PopClip button
- Fixed installation of the PopClip extension
- Fixed a tooltip for the PopClip Extension button
- Fixed a bug that sometimes kept wiggling lock icons from fading out
- Fixed a bug that caused Yoink to hang when deleting two files from Finder at once that resided in Yoink
- Fixed a rare crash when receiving "promised files"
- Fixed a rare issue that occurred when QuickLooking an already deleted file
- Fixed a typo in the German localization
Thank you for using Yoink and the great feedback you've been giving me.
You're cordially invited to visit my blog (https://blog.eternalstorms.at) or to follow me on twitter (@YoinkApp & @eternalstorms) if you'd like to follow the development process of my apps or get tips and tricks on how to get the most out of them.
I'm also providing a newsletter, which you can sign-up to at https://eternalstorms.at/newsletter
Thank you kindly,
Most Helpful Reviews
Phenomenally useful - Yoink is like those telescoping magnets that you use to fish your keys out of a drain - you wonder why you bought it, then realize that it’s absolutely the most amazing little tool when the time is right. It just hangs out in your menu bar, being all unobrusive and small, but when you need to copy files between spaces, or you just don’t remember where you put that one window to drop your files, Yoink is there, saying, “It’s cool man, I got you. Just rest those files right here, I’ll keep them nice and fresh for when you find a place to drop ‘em.” Then Yoink eases out of view, smooth as can be, just chilling until it can be useful again.
Does not work on rMBP - It flat out doesn’t work. It doesn’t open when the mouse is on the edge of the screen, doesn’t open at start of drag. If you change its open position it opens for about 5 seconds then goes away. Waste of money.
More Reviews for Current Version
My most used utility. - Doesn't hurt that customer support is on point, but this utility is just about perfect.
Great App - This is very useful app. It makes my work so easy, Thank you for the developers.
indispensible for Spaces or full-screen users - Yoink is one of the first few apps I install when setting up a new Mac — especially a laptop. It really amounts to a “parking space” to keep stuff you’re actively working on — everything from images from web pages, snippets of text, any files you’re collecting. If you use Spaces or use apps in full-screen at all, Yoink is totally indispensible. I use it constantly, and find myself missing it very badly when I have to use a machine without it.