Developer: Eduard Schwan
Current Version: 2.3.0
Last Updated: 16 days ago
Download Size: 8.9 MB - Download
Are you searching for a great Macintosh puzzle-maker? The solution is right here!
Whirlwind WordSearch is a powerful and easy-to-use word search puzzle maker. It creates unique and engaging word search puzzles from your own lists of words... in many different languages! You will be building and printing professional-looking puzzles right away.
You can choose from a number of built-in puzzle shapes, including circle, heart, diamond, bow-tie, pinwheel, and many more.
The puzzles can range in size from as small as 4 letters across and down, all the way up to 50 by 50 letters.
Just change the "Difficulty to Solve" setting and create a new puzzle, and the software automatically adjusts how tricky it will be to solve, fine-tuning your puzzles so they are appropriate for early learners or puzzle savvy adults.
Whirlwind WordSearch also removes any randomly-created "naughty words."
You can copy and paste the high-quality (PDF) puzzle and answer graphics into your own word processing documents for re-printing in books, newsletters, or classroom handouts.
• Many supported languages/alphabets built-in besides English… You can create puzzles with words in French, Spanish, Swedish, German, Russian, Japanese (hiragana and katakana), Danish, Hungarian, Romanian, Turkish, Greek and Sanskrit.
• Easily enter your word lists, even copy/paste them from your word processor or the web.
• Choose from a wide variety of unique built-in shapes: Box, Circle, Heart, Diamond, Bow-tie, Pinwheel, X, UL-Wedge, LL-Wedge, UR-Wedge, LR-Wedge, Round-Peg, Square-hole, Onion, Donut, Checkers, Crescent, Plus Sign, Right-Arrow, Left-Arrow, Up-Arrow, Down-Arrow, Up-Triangle, Down-Triangle, Cross.
• Create puzzles ranging in size from 4-by-4 up to 50-by-50 letters (that's a lot of words!)
• Add an optional "secret message" into your puzzle, which will be inserted between your words as a secondary puzzle to solve.
• Add "hidden words" into your puzzle that are not in the word list or answer key (for adding copyrights or extra credit words.)
• Work without a net... You can run Whirlwind WordSearch anywhere... you never need an internet connection to create, save, and print your puzzles.
• Save your puzzle word list files, and open them again later to instantly create whole new puzzles, or share them with other Whirlwind WordSearch users.
• Tailor the display and printing options to suit a variety of audiences and needs.
• Supports Full-Screen mode.
• Includes a comprehensive User Guide that contains tutorials and tips and describes every option, getting you up-to-speed right away. Advanced features are explained, helping you create high-quality puzzles.
• Copy and resize the puzzles and answer keys (as PDF graphics or text) right into your own newsletters, worksheets, books, or other publications, or print them for handouts.
• A built-in spell-checker alerts you to any misspelled words in your word-list before you print.
• Create puzzles in upper or lower case, serif or sans-serif fonts.
• Whirlwind WordSearch checks your word list for any duplicate words.
• Whirlwind WordSearch thoroughly checks the final puzzle and removes any randomly-generated duplicates of your words.
• Whirlwind WordSearch also removes randomly-generated "naughty" words in your chosen language!
• Simply increase the difficulty slider from "Very Easy", to "Diabolically Difficult", and Whirlwind WordSearch will add many tricks into the puzzle for you. For example, if you choose an "easy" puzzle, it will only place your words across or down, and it will fill the rest of the puzzle with letters that are not in your words, making it easier to find the words. If you choose a harder puzzle, it will automatically start adding your words backwards and on diagonals. It will fill the rest of the puzzle with any letters (or only letters from your word list!) And on the hardest level, it will even sprinkle pieces of your own words into other puzzle locations as visual decoys.
-Now requires at least Mac OS X 10.9.
-Now supports versioning (auto-saving) of puzzles.
-Hungarian and Romanian alphabet support is added.
-Added new shapes: 4-Clover, Onion-Dome, Round Peg, Square Hole.
-Now builds complex puzzles in the background while you do other puzzle stuff! No more spinning pizza while you wait!
-When you stop/interrupt a long puzzle creation, it no longer shows an error dialog, but simply returns to your puzzle.
-Puzzle error dialogs are simpler, not cluttered with nerdy details.
-added more bad words to remove from English, French, Spanish, German, Danish.
-add an occasional prompt to request a software review in the Mac App Store, with REVIEW-NOW, LATER, NEVER buttons.
-added "Visit our web site" and "Rate/Review our application" items on the Help menu.
-added a lot of Accessibility support to the menus and windows.
-Squashed some bugs.
Most Helpful Reviews
Absolutly perfect! - This program is so versatile and so easy to use. It has the best features of all the programs that I have similar to it. It is so worth the money since the quality is sooooooo much better than any free application on the internet. One of my favorite features is the copy/paste. I can copy the puzzle straight from this application into my worksheet or other layout. It even copies without a background so I can flawlessly blend this puzzle into my layout. But I can’t stop bragging till I mention the secret message feature. This was the feature I had been searching for and this developer worked this feature in perfectly. There are so many easy to use options. The lay out is clean and easy to use. Absolutely Perfect!