Developer: Frederik Slijkerman
Current Version: 5.54
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 8.7 MB - Download
Ultra Fractal is a great way to create your own fractal art. Today, fractals are much more than the Mandelbrot sets that you may have seen before. Ultra Fractal lets you choose from thousands of fractal types and coloring algorithms, zoom in as far as you want, use gradients to add color, and apply multiple layers to combine different fractals in one image. It is very easy to use and yet more capable than any other fractal program. No mathematics required!
- Get started quickly with the built-in tutorials
- Explore thousands of fractal types and coloring algorithms via the online formula database
- Gradient editor for easy coloring
- Deep zooming
- Use multiple layers to combine fractals in an image, with layer groups and Photoshop-like merge modes
- Render fractals to disk with anti-aliasing at any size for spectacular prints
- Tweak parameters just by moving your mouse using the Explore feature
- Zoom, pan and rotate using gestures on a trackpad
- Import external images into your fractals
- Open and organize fractals and formulas using the built-in browser with thumbnails view
- Apply geometric transformations to your fractals
- Write your own formulas and share them with other users via the online formula database
- Includes excellent help file
Added support for OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Various bug fixes.
Most Helpful Reviews
The Best Fractal Program Comes To The Mac - I've used other fractal programs (e,g, XaoS, Fractint) on Windows, Linux and Mac OS/x, but this program, previously available only on Windows, is by far the best. There are so many things you can do with it it's hard to know where to start. Number of Fractal types: practically infinite. A large number of formulas come with the program. You can create your own. There's an updatable data base of contributed fractal types. Add to that the ability to modify the parameters of the function being iterated, you end up with the 'practically infinite' number. There's a great deal of control over how the calculations are performed. There's a zoom box that can be moved over the fractal in the window in order to zoom in on interesting parts. The size and aspect ratio of the zoom box can be changed. It can be slanted and rotated. There's also a lot of control over colors. One can have layers that can be combined, as in a program like the GIMP. And much more... Yes it's pricy but this is one case where you really get what you pay for.
Mountain Lion makes it UNUSEABLE! - Ultra Fractal is a great program however, as of version 5.50, there is a problem in Mountain Lion where the preview area doesn't redraw which makes it unusable. I have verified this on my MacBook Pro and 3 iMacs and am now waiting for a fix so I can use it. I will re-rate once the Mac version is fixed.