Ultra Character Map
Developer: X04 Studios Inc.
Current Version: 2.0.6
Last Updated: 6 months ago
Download Size: 21.4 MB - Download
Not just another character map. (Really.) Did you know that many fonts contain characters and pictures that cannot be accessed with the keyboard or even with a regular character palette? Ultra Character Map lets you access any character or glyph in any font and use it in other apps. It also lets you do side-by-side font comparisons, print font catalogs, view detailed character and font information (including the keystroke combinations that produce special or accented characters) and much more. And it's really easy to use.
- Unlock everything your fonts have to offer. Access any character, symbol or glyph in any font and use it in your documents.
- Fun with colors and 3D effects. Create your own clip art by applying colors and 3D effects to any character, symbol or glyph.
- Say it in Emoji. Ultra Character Map gives you access to all Emoji characters available in macOS. To use an Emoji character, just drag or copy it into your document.
- Compare fonts the easy way. Enter text once, then simply scroll through a list to see a preview in every font. Don't want to look at all your fonts? You can filter the list by style, classification, collection, name or font folder. Ultra Character Map lets you preview header or paragraph text and includes preset samples to save you even more time.
- Print font catalogs and font samples. Ultra Character Map lets you print custom font catalogs, font samples and character maps or save them as PDF documents.
- Useful tools for graphic designers, webmasters and app developers. Ultra Character Map shows all the glyphs in your fonts (even glyphs that are not associated with a character) and lets you view Bézier curves and copy them to other apps. It also features an HTML entity palette, a Unicode 9.0 grid and panels that display extensive character and font information.
But wait, there's more. Ultra Character Map lets you pick favorite fonts and characters, view characters or text copied from other apps, view the keystrokes that produce specific characters (even if they require multiple steps, such as "Option-N then Shift-N") and much more.
- Minor fixes.
Introduced in Version 2.0
- Enjoy a simplified, completely redesigned user interface.
- Create your own clip art by applying colors and 3D effects to any character, symbol or glyph.
- Quickly browse through your font library with the new font grid.
- Explore your fonts' characters and glyphs at the same time in the new unified “Characters & Glyphs” view.
- Get any character's Swift or Objective-C escape sequence or UTF-8 byte sequence and easily copy it to the clipboard.
- Browse the available variants of the selected Emoji character.
- Print character maps that show the character code, glyph index, and glyph name of each character.
- The Unicode grid was updated to Unicode 9.0.
- Adds a new Standard Music Font Layout character map for SMuFL-compliant fonts.
- Easily access your font files.
- Performance improvements.
- Other minor improvements.
Most Helpful Reviews
This is a great and useful application, but... - it has one drawback. It would be beneficial to the users to be able to search the font names for a specific font instead of having to scroll through all the fonts to find the one you want.
Can - I purchased this so I could use the glyphs in my fonts. I like that I can see and select every alternative a font offers. But I cannot actually copy it and use it! In font #1 that I tried, the glyphs I wanted to use weren't supported. So the option to copy them was greyed out. In font #2, I could copy a STANDARD character, but when I pasted it into the program I was using, it wouldn't let me paste it in the same font! I could "paste" the character as a different font, but then the program I was using wouldn't let me change it back to font #2. And of course, there's no option to return an app for a refund...
More Reviews for Current Version
Intuitive and functional, but most importantly ………Useful! - A useful & functional program that allows one to incorporate fonts and characters into documents of any form. I had been looking for something like this for a long time and I’m sure the program’s evolution will fill in the gaps of what else it can accomplish. Well done & keep up the good work .I had been looking for a program with lesser capabilities than this present version of Ultra Character Map, excellent resource.
As good as PopChar at a much lower price! - As good as PopChar at less than 1/3 the cost!
Is there no way to create folders in this to organise fonts? - I have looked everywhere, but can’t find any way to create my own folders in this so I can organize fonts. Surely there must be a way? It’s just a totally useless bit of software if there is no way to actually group and organise fonts.
Very handy tool - I used this to find characters for music like the last review. I guess I didn’t notice that it didn’t have key combinations. However, this totally changed the way I used some text symbols in a class seating chart (I teach music). I was able to grab symbols to use (like the emojees) without hunting around and use them as a graphic file. From B’bba’s review, it sounded like it could use a couple of features, but it sure was a pleasant surprise for what I was using it for.
Very Useful Tool - I can access glyphs and diacriticals without having to create the text in Photoshop. Can even do some basic metallic & 3D text on the fly. Essential for anyone who creates text documents as a graphic design.