The Night Sky
Developer: iCandi Apps
Current Version: 3.0
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 138.9 MB - Download
Night Sky™ for Mac
Wonder No More™
From the creators of the original Night Sky™ app comes an all-new powerful encounter with the sky above! This is the biggest update to Night Sky™ for Mac yet! Night Sky™ for Mac is a powerful educational app, bringing a beautiful interactive map of the Night Sky™ to your Mac. With in depth articles, and powerful tools, it's just like having your own personal planetarium!
“I’m very impressed with The Night Sky … it offers a delightful and polished user experience.” - Avery Wang (creator of Shazam)
“…Pure fun to use and really hard to put down. … Exactly what educational apps should be all about” - iDownload Blog
***** Over 15000 5 star customer reviews worldwide! – App Store
With a breathtaking new Sky View, Deep Space Objects, Sky Time Machine, Light Spectrum Array, a 3D Solar System, World Traveller mode and many more features, all designed Mac OS X. Prepare to be blown away with our most powerful and feature packed version yet!
All New Feature Set:
• Breathtaking New Sky View: A completely redesigned new Sky View comes to Night Sky™ for Mac. With a vivid new colorful atmosphere, animations and more detailed stars, satellites, planets, and deep space objects than ever before, prepare to become visually immersed in the Night Sky™ for Mac.
• Sky Time Machine: Travel into the future or into the past to view the sky how it was years ago, or how it will be in years to come, with the magical new Sky Time Machine.
• Light Spectrum Array: View the sky through a vast array of light spectrums. Beautifully presented in the all-new Sky View. Radio Waves, Microwaves, Infrared, Gamma Rays, X-Rays, Visible Light, and Ultra-violet all magically revealed in the sky through the palm of your hand.
• Complete 3D Solar System View: Explore the entire Solar System with our all-new glorious 3D generated solar system. We’ve even included the Moon and the Dwarf Planet Pluto. 3D Earth also includes a visual representation of all the satellites around our planet!
• Night Sky™ Community: Engage with fellow stargazers and astronomers in the exclusive Night Sky™ Community. Share ideal stargazing locations with others and explore locations others have shared.
• Deep Space Objects: Night Sky Pro™ includes a comprehensive database of Deep Space Objects with rich in-depth information. Journey further into space and learn more about things further away than ever before as all deep space objects have also been added to the beautiful new Sky View.
• World Traveller: Explore the sky from anywhere in the world with the new World Traveller mode. Fancy a trip to see what the sky looks like in another country? Then travel there instantly and view it from your Mac. Combine World Traveller and Time Machine and you could even look at the somewhere else in the world in the past or future. Perfect when preparing for that upcoming stargazing trip!
• Stargazing Conditions: Explore the Stargazing Conditions in your area for the upcoming week. Beautiful new stargazing graphs mean at a glance you can see the perfect time to go stargazing!
• Satellite Paths: A brand new feature, simply tap a satellite in Sky View and reveal the trajectory it will take across the sky! All satellites are included as standard in Night Sky™ for Mac!
So enjoy having your very own planetarium on your Mac, with the all new Night Sky™ for Mac!
Night Sky™ for Mac gets a major upgrade!
We've brought all the great latest new features from Night Sky™ on iOS to the Mac, jumping from version 1 straight through to version 3.0!
This update brings the following amazing new features:
- Beautiful new Sky View
- Light Spectrum Array
- Complete 3D Solar System Models
- Sky Time Machine - Travel into the future or the past and check out the Night Sky™ for any date!
- Stargazing Conditions - for your local area, or check out the conditions anywhere in the world!
- Massively upgraded Sky Information Pack with sharing and printing!
- World Traveller Mode - experience the Night Sky™ from anywhere in the world right from your Mac!
- Night Sky™ Community - Explore Stargazing sites near to you, recommended by other users.
- Worldwide Light Pollution Mapping
- Night Sky™ Latest News
- Complete OS X sharing integration for social networks - share snapshots of the Night Sky™!
- All new mesmerizing soundtrack.
- Ability to save Night Sky™ images to Photos.
We hope you enjoy this massive update to the Night Sky™ for Mac!
Most Helpful Reviews
Amazing! - I've got this on my iPhone and iPad and its just as great on my Mac. Full screen mode is the best for viewing and nice for me to see the same night sky above my cousins in Germany if I want to! Its so clever!
So much promise, but no updates in over 2 years - Like so many other apps in the Mac App Store lately, this app looks like it’s been abandoned. It hasn’t been touched by the developers for 2 1/2 years, an incredibly long time for software development, and is now very outdated. It’s not Retina-display compatible, so if you’re using this on a newer Mac, the images are going to look blurry and pixellated. That alone makes this app unusable for me. Its user interface also hasn’t been updated for Yosemite, so it’s really showing its age. Finally, this app hasn’t gotten the newer features of its iOS counterpart. It’s really too bad that the developers have abandoned this app, as it would really be cool to view on a Mac’s larger screen. I’ll be looking elsewhere.
More Reviews for Current Version
Finally one awesome update - Yay, this app has finally gotten a real update. It’s now compatible with Retina screen laptops and looks and functions just like the Night Sky apps on iOS. It’s very smooth on my Macbook Pro and I’m glad to finally be able to look at the constellations on my larger screen. Well done! The only things that I’ve found it’s missing are notifications, which are quite handy on iOS, and the Today widget, which I don’t really use on iOS but others might find useful. Other than that it’s really very much the same as what I’m used to on iOS, which is a good thing. Hopefully these get added soon though (especially the notifications).
Horrible user interface - “I-Candy Software” The company name Pretty much says what the problem is. The author is so in love with the eye and eary candy that little effort was paid to designing a functional interactive experience. There’s essentially no menu at all..no tools to manipulate the screen …and if a detailed, indexed “help” system is hidden somewhere only the author knows about it. Suggest bringing in a no nonsense content designer who knows how to build a functioning program that someone seriously interested in stufying the night sky can use. What’s so wrong with “Function before form” as a guiding principle?