Developer: Michael Morris
Current Version: 4.1.8
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 5.9 MB - Download
Textual is an IRC client created specifically for Mac OS X. It was designed with simplicity in mind. Textual has taken the best of IRC and built it into a single client.
Textual provides many great features to make IRC more enjoyable:
• iCloud sharing across all your devices.
• Native fullscreen support.
• Multi-encoding support.
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts.
• Elegantly designed optional dark user interface.
• Customizable with community created styles.
• Growl and native Notification Center support.
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting.
• Auto-Completion for nicknames, commands, and channels.
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline.
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching.
• Inline media embedding. (Show images inline with chat.)
• Inline nickname colorization.
For advanced users, Textual also provides support for many
exciting features of IRC:
• Support for new IRCv3 standards.
• Full, native support for IPv6 users.
• SSL support with certificate validation.
• Client-side certificate authentication.
• Deep ZNC integration for power users.
• Direct Client-to-Client (DCC) file transfer support.
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) support.
• SOCK4 and SOCK5 proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Blowfish based encryption with automatic key exchange.
• Expandable using scripts written in AppleScript, Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, and Objective-C.
… and much, much more!
See http://www.codeux.com/ for more information.
Minor maintenance update to fix the most common issues affecting Textual.
Textual 4.1.8 is the last version of Textual that works with Mac OS Lion (10.7). The decision to discontinue support for Mac OS Lion was made to favor newer technologies in an upcoming major updrade known as Textual 5. Users running Mac OS Lion and Textual will continue to receive technical assistance with the application until September 5, 2015. The development team of Textual sincerly apologize to anyone affected by this decision.
Most Helpful Reviews
Great and still supported - This seems to be the only native IRC app that is still supported. In fact, it receives regular updates. Great and Mac-like user-interface.
Don’t buy - devs are releasing a new version - This is actually decent software, but unfortunately the devs are making a money-grab by releasing a new “major” version (which is actually a very subtle improvement) and want you to pay again for it. There is no point in buying this version when the new one is coming out any day. Also, this version MALFUNCTIONS on Yosemite - I suspect they purposely left these bugs in to force an upgrade out of their loyal users.
More Reviews for Current Version
Breaks everything - I installed this latest update. First it reset a whole bunch of configs on the sly. Unacceptable. I found the mention sounds, fonts and even navigation settings changed making the entire UI experience jarring. Minus one star. When i went to reset the font settings to a preferred font, i found my entire scrollback erased. That was even more unacceptable, since it’s non obvious how to recover from that. I wanted to read that scrollback. More bad UI, minus one more star. The developers seem more focused on the features they deem important rather than focusing on a truly smooth UI experience.
4.1.8 Update clobbered my settings - Love this program but the latest update reset me to original settings. Might want to back up yours BEFORE you update.
This app is a NeverRan - It crashes on start, 100% of the time. It'll happily report that it crashed from the previous time, but then crashes before it can send off the report. Good app.
Continued great IRC app - While the style prefs did seem to get reset, everything else has been great. I’ve been using Textual for a year or two now from the app store and really haven’t had any problems. The authors have always been great to work out issues. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a great and continually updated IRC app.
Crashes 100% on Yosemite - Crashes on Yosemite 100% of the time, I’ve tried it on several different computers with the same results. I cut them some slack while Yosemite was in beta, but now it’s released it should be fixed. I hear they’re coming out with a new paid update in the next few days, maybe that’ll fix the crashes but they need to fix their current software. I paid for this version a few months ago, I shouldn’t have to pay again for fixes when a new OSX is released.