Developer: Codeux Software, LLC
Current Version: 6.0.10
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 7 MB - Download
Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
Powerful, yet lightweight
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Multi-channel selection
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Inline nickname colorization
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Auto-Completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
• Modified the keyboard shortcuts used for text formatting to eliminate collisions with other features.
The new keyboard shortcuts are:
Italics - Control Shift I
Underline - Control Shift U
Foreground Color - Control Shift C
Background Color - Control Shift H
• Modified the frequency in which the “Joining channels has been delayed because because you haven't identified.” message is displayed and under what conditions it is displayed.
• Merged changes made by the author of the Equinox style which improves the format of the date displayed when the day changes.
• Fixed some changes to connections not being acknowledged when using iCloud syncing.
Most Helpful Reviews
Texual 5.0 rocks! stop reading and get the upgrade now! - I had only recently begin using Textual a few months ago, so I was initially on the fence on whether it was worth paying for the upgrade so soon in my case. However, I can say to everyone that it was well worth the $5 to get the latest and greatest of what is by far, the best IRC client for OSX. Seriously, just buy it already and support a great developer who seems to be the only IRC client developer for OSX who understands people want a clean, simple interface - which can be extended by the amazing feature set built into the product. Personally, I use it as my goto client for my ZNC daemon on my server; it connects cleanly to my ZNC proxy and works flawlessly. TLDR: It’s 5 dollars, it rocks, just buy it already!
App crashes when opening. - After this update, I can’t even open the app anymore!!!
More Reviews for Current Version
Great IRC client overall, few improvements would be great. - It’s an amazing client working great. My main issue with it is Notifications not clearing from the notification center when Textual is becoming foregrounded again. For example you received a private message, the notifications appears and only after a while you foreground Textual. Unfortunately the notification center is not cleared even though I read the messages. Too bad. Thanks for the great job, keep it going.