Developer: Codeux Software, LLC
Current Version: 6.0.10
Last Updated: 4 months ago
Download Size: 7 MB - Download
Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
Powerful, yet lightweight
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Multi-channel selection
• Quick navigation using fuzzy searching
• Inline nickname colorization
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Auto-Completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
• Modified the keyboard shortcuts used for text formatting to eliminate collisions with other features.
The new keyboard shortcuts are:
Italics - Control Shift I
Underline - Control Shift U
Foreground Color - Control Shift C
Background Color - Control Shift H
• Modified the frequency in which the “Joining channels has been delayed because because you haven't identified.” message is displayed and under what conditions it is displayed.
• Merged changes made by the author of the Equinox style which improves the format of the date displayed when the day changes.
• Fixed some changes to connections not being acknowledged when using iCloud syncing.
Most Helpful Reviews
Texual 5.0 rocks! stop reading and get the upgrade now! - I had only recently begin using Textual a few months ago, so I was initially on the fence on whether it was worth paying for the upgrade so soon in my case. However, I can say to everyone that it was well worth the $5 to get the latest and greatest of what is by far, the best IRC client for OSX. Seriously, just buy it already and support a great developer who seems to be the only IRC client developer for OSX who understands people want a clean, simple interface - which can be extended by the amazing feature set built into the product. Personally, I use it as my goto client for my ZNC daemon on my server; it connects cleanly to my ZNC proxy and works flawlessly. TLDR: It’s 5 dollars, it rocks, just buy it already!
App crashes when opening. - After this update, I can’t even open the app anymore!!!
More Reviews for Current Version
Great IRC client overall, few improvements would be great. - It’s an amazing client working great. My main issue with it is Notifications not clearing from the notification center when Textual is becoming foregrounded again. For example you received a private message, the notifications appears and only after a while you foreground Textual. Unfortunately the notification center is not cleared even though I read the messages. Too bad. Thanks for the great job, keep it going.
The Best IRC client for your Mac. - Hands down the best IRC client for your Mac’s UNIX-Like OS. I was really hoping it would come back to the app store. And it did! I have been using this app for a few years now and love it. It uses very little ram, looks beautiful, and performs well. It also hosts many native addons I can't live without now; SSL/TSL, encryption, encrypted privated messages, secure DCC, tor intergration, ZNC function, and has O:Line commands built in (again these are all native). You can also write you own snippets of code in ruby, python, perl, etc and use them as plugins to perform whatever tasks you’d like. All in all a great client. I purchased this 2-3 years ago and will continue to donate to Codeux so they will keep up with their great work. If you want a simple client try Limechat, but if you want a robust chat cient with limitless scripting options and good encryption Textual is for you. ** Update  (07/13/2017) ** Version 6.1.0-git ** I am currently enrolled (and have been for awhile) in Apple’s Beta programs; testing the newest OS’s via the developer program. I also try the “public” betas on another Mac. And on another I use the current mac operating system. Very few developers keep up with the beta forks but Textual sure does. Initially going back some time now when I first moved over to High Sierra, Textual simply didnt work correctly. So what did I do? I joined the #Textual channel on Freenode and right there in the topic was my answer. “If you’re using High Sierra check the nightly build out here". Clicked the link on the fellas site, installed, and wham, I was up and running without a hitch. Since then I have updated a few times and each time Textual has had their “betas" running right along side super smooth. As a matter of fact that day I donated another $20 bucks. I learned to “code” using mIRC back in 98-03. And way back then there was a “Script” called Polaris. It showed how much you could do with the mIRC scripting language, it made the drab client superb for that particular time period. Let me put it this way… Textual is the Polaris to my Limechat (loosely put) and has got me to learn at least one new language. <— complilment .. I’m obviously older now with responsibilities, less time, etc but you guys are awesome. Please keep it up. I love how Textual has a beautiful GUI yet there is still no bloat. All the while there seems to be more focus on security/SSL (crypto) instead of silly memory hogging widgets. From my previous review I still think you guys shoud offer a “premium” service which would give you a SECURE ZNC. In my mind it’s a win-win for you guys. I very much believe people would pay an annual fee for this kind of service. In my personal experience it wouldnt use much of your resources. I think with the right business plan (i.e making money from the “premium” service) while only focusing on this project IRC could be a mainstream platform someday soon. Then you can sell it to FaceBook for $1 Billion dollars, hehe. Keep it up gents! ** Update (03/06/2017) from 6.02 to 6.09 ** Updated today March 6, 2017 not when Textual came back to the app store. I didn’t realize it would save my review after not sending it. Anyway.. this update is good and Textual is still by far and away the best IRC client for macOS. WITH THAT BEING SAID.. I CAN NOT turn off the iCloud sharing option. I have turned it off every way possible, deleted the files and yet Textual still creates a file in iCloud. If someone knows how to kill that I’d love to know. Again this is me just knitpicking though, really when I have a fresh mac install Textual is one of the FIRST if not the first application I install. Great app and please keep up the great work. #Codeux please read.. The BNC problem has been fixed. I now have no issue while using BNC. Previously while trying to use BNC (maybe 1 year ago). I simply couldnt connect #when trying to use BNC (you know the old school bouncer). So happy that’s fixed. I’m also VERY happy the issue with the flickering and screen lagging has been fixed. I will #continue to donate. This is an amazing project. If you guys have the resources you should offer your own kind of ZNC service like the irccloud iOS client does. I would definitly #pay for an additional “premium” service like that.
NOT FOR EFNET - CLIENT , spams , servers , resulting in KLINES due to ident , configuration on the client side , not recommended for irc. Talked to tech support , I recieved and email stating : Michael Morris Hello There are many Textual users on Efnet that use Textual , It does not send Spam Can you please provide more details regarding your current situation so that I can better assist you . Stay away from this client Thank you Michael Morris Codeux Software I sent back a reply , I did not get a reply from support , Im out of 6 dollars and my iMac is klined off of Efnet Servers .