Sunset - Dim Your Screen!
Sunset helps you to dim any of your computer's screens, even more than possible with the built-in controls.
Try it out, your eyes will thank you!
- You open your laptop late at night and are blinded, even though the brightness is at its lowest setting.
- It is very complicated or impossible to change the brightness of an external monitor
- If you have changed the brightness, the monitor starts to make an annoying beeping noise.
- You don't want to wake up your seatmate on an airplane.
- You want to reduce distraction in a meeting room or a lecture hall.
Since Sunset uses a software-based approach to dim the screen, you can definitely circumvent the problem with the beeping noise at some displays. So in some cases, your ears will thank you too!
- New cleverSwitch to easily restore older brightness settings and to quickly turn the dimming off.
- Just scroll over the status icon to change brightness.
- You can now also scroll over the sun instead of pulling it
- More brightness steps when using F1 and F2 keys
Most Helpful Reviews
Finally - Finally someone gets it right. This app, unlike all similar apps, will work with Mission Control, Expose, Spaces, Show Desktop etc. And it also has support for keyboard shortcuts. My only criticism is the menu bar icon is a bit ugly and I wish there were a few more steps of brightness levels or some way to go up/down a half notch by holding shift etc.
More Reviews for Current Version
Good but does not work with F.lux - I have a Macbook Pro running OS X Mavericks. I rely on F.lux to change the lighting of my screen from daylight to tungsten in the evening. Sunset does not dim the screen with F.lux installed. This is a dealbreaker for me. Please fix the program so it works with F.lux. I tested Sunset without F.lux installed and Sunset works fine.
Tried four others first. This one’s perfect. - I tried four other screen dimmers first, and none of them had the right mix of decent UI and multi-monitor support that I need. Sunset fit the bill perfectly.
Icons need more aesthetics work - Functionality is great but icos really disappoint. The app icon is all pixelated and the menu icon can use some design work.
Migraine sufferer’s dream. - When I’ve got a migraine and a lot of work to do, I still have to use my computer. But my two beautiful ASUS HD displays have one major flaw - the lowest setting for brightness is about equivilant to 80% on my Macbook Pro! Even with that, I’d like to turn it down just a bit from the lowest settings. Used it on both the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro with no problems. The only thing preventing a 5-star review is that with two displays, it doesn’t pay attention to the way they are layed out in your display preferences. The right control dims my left screen. I changed which screen is “primary” (not that this matters in Mavericks), and it seems always to assume that the “primary” display is on the left.