Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
Current Version: 5.3.1
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 4.4 MB - Download
(Please note that if you are using OS X Mavericks you can get Smultron 6 instead with many new features.)
Smultron is an elegant and powerful text editor that is easy to use.
Use Smultron to create and edit everything from a web page, a script, a list, to every kind of text or code.
• It is very easy to start using Smultron
• All your open documents are easily accessible
• Smultron can help you to edit your text
• Store your documents in iCloud and access them on your Mac, iPhone and iPad
• It has all the powerful features when you need them - like syntax colors for over 90 code languages, regular expressions, commands, text snippets, line numbers and many more
The new Smultron 5 has many improvements and new features. Some of them are text folding, much better international support, see two different parts of a document and full support for the latest OS X and the latest Macs.
(Please note that Smultron 5 is only for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - if you have 10.7 Lion you can use Smultron 4 instead.)
Here are the release notes and changes for Smultron 5:
• Text folding
• Much better accessibility support
• Much better international support and translated to Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Spanish and Japanese
• Updated for OS X Mountain Lion with e.g. sharing and text zoom
• Full support for retina Macs
• Split window to see two different parts of a document
• A better and more flexible way to see the open documents
• Many other smaller improvements to make it easier, faster and more powerful to use
• Fixed a rare crash when using OS Mavericks (use Smultron 6 for an even better OS X Mavericks experience)
Most Helpful Reviews
One of the better Mac text editors - I have used all three versions of Smultron on the App Store and a version or two prior to them being available there. This is hands down one of the best text editors for a Mac. It's lightweight, responsive, intuitive, and attractive to use. Smultron 5 is a wonderful evolution from Smultron and Smultron 4. Gone is the preference pane - honed down to a manageable list of options under the "View" menu. The Documents window is better than tabs, in my opinion, because that is one less toolbar taking up screen real estate. The Documents window supports list or icon view with the Mac OS system-specified icon for the file. Smart and integrated. I'd love to see the Snippets window also offered as a menu bar option where I can sort snippets, but the current window gives you a good glimpse into the snippet's code. A fine text editor at an incredible price.
program went downhill - I used to love Smultron, and used it exclusively. Since it's availability on the 'app store' through Apple, it's degraded. The program crashes frequently, and fails to open documents, reporting them as 'locked' when in fact they are not. Closing and reopening the application temporariliy solves the problem. However, it is against productivity if I can only have one file open at a time! Now it's counter productive. I miss the old Smultron.