Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
Current Version: 4.3.1
Last Updated: 1 year ago
Download Size: 2.6 MB - Download
(Please note that if you are using a later macOS than 10.7 you can get a later version of Smultron with more features.)
”Smultron is a capable, inexpensive, and easy-to-use text editor” – Macworld
Smultron is what your text needs. It is a text editor for the rest of us which is both easy to use and elegant but still very powerful. With it you can easily write and edit unformatted text.
Nowadays we want access to and to be able change our information from all our devices all the time without any hassle. And with Smultron 4 you can do that. You can for instance start work on some text on your iPad at home, polish it at work on your Mac and check it one last time on your iPhone on the go. You can now get Smultron for your iPhone and iPad and share documents over iCloud.
• You can quickly write short or long pieces of text
• You can quickly edit a web page, to-do list, script, novel or any kind of text
• You have all your open documents easily accessible
• You can store your documents on iCloud and access them on all your Macs
• You can easily find what you are looking for in many different documents
• Smultron does not complicate things and you can directly start to write or edit text
• For the more advanced users Smultron is a fully featured text editor with syntax coloring for over 90 languages, regular expressions, commands, snippets, line numbers and many, many more features
Major changes in version 4:
• Easier and more elegant
• A new more flexible and improved way of handling your open documents
• Resume – Smultron will reopen right were you last left off
• Auto save – you don’t need to think about saving any more, Smultron will take care of that for you
• Versions – you can easily look at previous versions of your text and also restore to any earlier version
• Easier to find what you are looking for in documents
• Improved full screen experience
• Addresses a possible issue where it could become unresponsive when moving a document to iCloud
• Better handling of a possible issue if the default font has been turned off or removed from the system
• Added Scheme syntax definition
• Added CUDA syntax definition (with help from Daniel Salles Chevitarese)
• Some small improvements to various syntax definitions
• Some other small fixes
Most Helpful Reviews
Still the best. - Thanks Peter. Handiest little lightweight text editor to pull out in a pinch, combined with nice coding features. I'm actually less a fan of the document palette being cut loose from the editing window (where it was in the old school version) but, on a whole, smultron is and may always be my go-to.
A Big Drop-off in Quality - I've used many iterations of Smultron, and have reviewed and rated it highly in the past. It did in fact seem an elegant little processor, with one of the first viable full-screen modes of any programming-oriented text editor. All that has fallen away in Smultron 4, which seems to have been rushed out the door. It is inferior to its predecessor in almost every way -- it's missing both functionality and the previously achieved elegance. To claim, as this program's promotional blurb does, to have implemented an "improved full screen experience" is simply ludicrous. Text now runs all the way across the screen in Smultron 4's full-screen mode, hardly an elegant or even practical implementation. Until or unless significant improvements are made to restore some of this program's former finesse, stay away—stick with the earlier version for Snow Leopard, still available in the Mac App Store. Or, use something else entirely.
More Reviews for Current Version
Poor - I purchased this application. Purchase means there should be periodic updates, not another version (which, btw, also needs to be purchased). If you want to become like a corporate entity, making $$$, at least learn to be competitive. This software hasn't been updated for almost a year. You have moved your entire focus to version 5. I bet the dev doesn't even read reviews here anymore. Poor, poor application and terrible support. I will NOT purchase version 5 even if I upgrade to ML. I do not mind paying more for a better software.
tabs - Tabs +1
Bad support - The application prints 1 blank page with every print - but the issue still exists about 1 year without fix. Bad red icon. Complex settings.
Deal Breaker - I loved version 3 but taking away the ability to have all open documents in a single window with tab access is a deal breaker for me. The developer says that's the way Apple does it, but this just doesn't cut it for a development app. This developer does nice work, but this is a deal breaker and there's no way around it. I continue to use Komodo.
Needs tabs and UPDATES for 10.8 Mountain Lion - Bring backed the one window interface with TABS!!! FAIL!. Developer doesn't update this to be compatible with new versions of OS X. Releases a new version instead. I'm done buying this app because the support is terrible.