SkySafari 5 Pro
Developer: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Current Version: 5.3.2
Last Updated: 2 days ago
Download Size: 1.4 GB - Download
SkySafari 5 Pro is the ultimate astronomy app. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered and offers flawless telescope control. Here's what's new in this version:
1) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
2) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
3) Completely new sounds, and a new look to the sky and horizon.
4) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
5) Updated object descriptions. Every object now has a description!
6) iCloud sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your Mac and iOS devices!
7) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
8) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
9) Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
10) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
11) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
12) Improved 3D OpenGL renderings of the ISS, HST, Ceres, Vesta, Pluto, Charon, and many other solar system objects and spacecraft.
If you haven't used SkySafari Pro before, here's what you can do with it.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Pro adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Pro – no need for an Internet connection. SkySafari 5 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience and replace desktop astronomy software costing 10 times more.
• 25 million stars from both Hubble Guide Star catalogs; 740,000 galaxies down to the 18th magnitude; over 630,000 solar system objects; and satellites like the International Space Station (ISS).
• NASA’s latest LRO Moon maps, with 8X the resolution of any other SkySafari versions, and hi-res Earth and Mars maps.
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from 12 hi-res vistas, or customize your own!
1) For highlighted observing lists, you can now highlight only those objects that haven't been observed.
2) Fixed problem in last release where you could no longer connect to Astro-Physics CP3 controllers.
3) Fixed issue where the Lat/Lon in the status bar wasn’t respecting the user's geographic format.
4) Added the "X Real Time" option to the choices for time flow units. You can now do things like flow time at 10 times real time.
5) Miscellaneous other stability fixes.
Most Helpful Reviews
Excellent Software, Always Improving - I use SkySafari Pro on iOS and MacOS and I find it does most everything I ask of it. The developers are also very responsive. This latest version contains a total apparent motion feature I requested just a week ago.
Frequently crashes on my iMac - While this is a powerful program, with lots of advanced features, it frequently crashes, especially when trying to orbit celestial objects. Seems like it is a beta test rather than a finished product. For a $40 app, this is rather disappointing. As an example of a repeatable error: type in M83 in the search box, and then click to select "Messier 83” then click “orbit” on the menu bar. The program tries to "fly out" to M83 and then promptly crashes: Process: SkySafari 5 Pro  Path: /Applications/SkySafari 5 Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/SkySafari 5 Pro Identifier: com.simulationcurriculum.SkySafari5MacPro Version: 5.1.2 (5.1.21) App Item ID: 1105957532 App External ID: 818101208 Code Type: X86-64 (Native) Parent Process: ???  Responsible: SkySafari 5 Pro  User ID: 503 Date/Time: 2016-09-25 21:47:17.857 -0700 OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F1912) Report Version: 11 Anonymous UUID: 8707C545-82B8-13BE-CB45-F4549D55FD72 Time Awake Since Boot: 45000 seconds Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 Application Specific Information: Assertion failed: (CGFloatIsValid(x) && CGFloatIsValid(y)), function void CGPathMoveToPoint(CGMutablePathRef, const CGAffineTransform *, CGFloat, CGFloat), file Paths/CGPath.cc, line 254. My Hardware Overview: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac14,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 32 GB Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B12 SMC Version (system): 2.15f7 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M: Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M Type: GPU Bus: PCIe PCIe Lane Width: x16 VRAM (Total): 4096 MB Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x119e Revision ID: 0x00a2 ROM Revision: 3782 Displays: iMac: Display Type: LCD Resolution: 2560 x 1440 Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Built-In: Yes
More Reviews for Current Version
Has done everything I would expect of a Sky Mapping Service - I’ve used Sky Safari Pro 5.3.2 for several weeks. It has provided me accurate and easy to access sky maps, not only locally, but for each of my remote sites around the world. It has never crashed and I’m sure that I’ve only begun to utilize all of its features. I prefer it to Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel.
Solid astronomy app & telescope control - After 5-6 outings using this app to control my 14” Orion Go-To Dob, I’m pretty satisified. The app’s Wifi connection with the scope has been reliable and control is straightfoward. I really like the ability to use SkySafari on my desktop iMac to research, build an observing list, and then export that list to the cloud and retrieve it from the Macbook that I use to actually operate the telescope in the field. I was on the fence about whether to get the Pro version or not, but the Galaxy View feature in the Pro version is a useful tool to visualize the scale of distances. In addition, the app comes with a decent library of information on each object that you can reference without having to connect to the internet. Couple of minor annoyances: 1. The Help isn’t particularly helpful, at least in the sense that doesn’t have a comprehensive list of the shortkeys. 2. The Satellites functionality is kind of half-assed; it will give you an alert if a space station or Iridium is rising, which is neat, but there doesn’t seem to be a good way to identify, ahead of time, when satellites will be rising or what their track across the sky will be.