SkySafari 5 Pro
Developer: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Current Version: 5.3.4
Last Updated: 3 months ago
Download Size: 1.4 GB - Download
SkySafari 5 Pro is the ultimate astronomy app. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered and offers flawless telescope control. Here's what's new in this version:
1) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
2) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
3) Completely new sounds, and a new look to the sky and horizon.
4) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
5) Updated object descriptions. Every object now has a description!
6) iCloud sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your Mac and iOS devices!
7) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
8) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
9) Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
10) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
11) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
12) Improved 3D OpenGL renderings of the ISS, HST, Ceres, Vesta, Pluto, Charon, and many other solar system objects and spacecraft.
If you haven't used SkySafari Pro before, here's what you can do with it.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Pro adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Pro – no need for an Internet connection. SkySafari 5 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience and replace desktop astronomy software costing 10 times more.
• 25 million stars from both Hubble Guide Star catalogs; 740,000 galaxies down to the 18th magnitude; over 630,000 solar system objects; and satellites like the International Space Station (ISS).
• NASA’s latest LRO Moon maps, with 8X the resolution of any other SkySafari versions, and hi-res Earth and Mars maps.
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from 12 hi-res vistas, or customize your own!
Fixed recently introduced problem with some settings panels not dismissing properly.
Most Helpful Reviews
Excellent Planetarium Software but. . . - I’ve been using SkySafari Pro for a few years now, starting with version 1.8 and now version 5. It does most everything I want and I highly recommend it. There is one thing that it doesn’t do that I got spoiled with using Software Bisques The Sky 5 is the ability to rotate the display to any angle. this is useful when comparing the display to a photograph to identify objects. Hopefully the developers will read this review and add this useful function to SkySafari.
Frequently crashes on my iMac - While this is a powerful program, with lots of advanced features, it frequently crashes, especially when trying to orbit celestial objects. Seems like it is a beta test rather than a finished product. For a $40 app, this is rather disappointing. As an example of a repeatable error: type in M83 in the search box, and then click to select "Messier 83” then click “orbit” on the menu bar. The program tries to "fly out" to M83 and then promptly crashes: Process: SkySafari 5 Pro  Path: /Applications/SkySafari 5 Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/SkySafari 5 Pro Identifier: com.simulationcurriculum.SkySafari5MacPro Version: 5.1.2 (5.1.21) App Item ID: 1105957532 App External ID: 818101208 Code Type: X86-64 (Native) Parent Process: ???  Responsible: SkySafari 5 Pro  User ID: 503 Date/Time: 2016-09-25 21:47:17.857 -0700 OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F1912) Report Version: 11 Anonymous UUID: 8707C545-82B8-13BE-CB45-F4549D55FD72 Time Awake Since Boot: 45000 seconds Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 Application Specific Information: Assertion failed: (CGFloatIsValid(x) && CGFloatIsValid(y)), function void CGPathMoveToPoint(CGMutablePathRef, const CGAffineTransform *, CGFloat, CGFloat), file Paths/CGPath.cc, line 254. My Hardware Overview: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac14,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 32 GB Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B12 SMC Version (system): 2.15f7 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M: Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M Type: GPU Bus: PCIe PCIe Lane Width: x16 VRAM (Total): 4096 MB Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x119e Revision ID: 0x00a2 ROM Revision: 3782 Displays: iMac: Display Type: LCD Resolution: 2560 x 1440 Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Built-In: Yes
More Reviews for Current Version
Sky Safari 5 Pro - I’ve used this for over a month and I’m dazzled! Easy, intuitive and I’ve seen nothing like it for the price or performance. I have an very old version of “The Sky” but don’t use it anymore. Also have new version of “Starry Night”. Which I found confusing and difficult to use. To be fair to SN, I just gave up on it once I got this App. I haven’t even explored SS5 very deeply yet but it’s great to just explore things and make observing lists.