SkySafari 5 Plus
Developer: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Current Version: 5.3.4
Last Updated: 2 months ago
Download Size: 390.5 MB - Download
SkySafari 5 Plus is more than the basic astronomy app, and this is its best version yet! It's a full-featured space simulator with telescope control. Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari Plus to Pro. Choose carefully! Here's what's new:
1) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
2) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
3) Completely new sound effects, and a new look to the sky and horizon.
4) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
5) Updated object descriptions. Every object now has a description!
6) iCloud sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your Mac and iOS devices!
7) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
8) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
9) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
10) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
11) Improved OpenGL renderings of the ISS, HST, Ceres, Vesta, Pluto, Charon, and many other solar system objects and spacecraft.
If you haven't used SkySafari Plus before, here's what you can do with it.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Plus adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Plus – no need for an Internet connection.
• 2.5 million stars; 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog; all major planets and moons; over 4,000 updateable asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through our solar system!
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from six beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 5 Pro!
Fixed recently introduced problem with some settings panels not dismissing properly.
Most Helpful Reviews
The best planetarium and telescope control available - I have been using SkySafari for about a year and I have to say that it is simply the best available. I previously used a free planetarium program, but SkySafari is so much better, it is more complete, has more functions, is easy to configure, and it even runs faster, plus it’s available for just about any platform. My advice to anyone is: Don’t waste your time, buy SkySafari 5 Plus, you will be pleased with it.
More Reviews for Current Version
Outstanding - Excellent. Only wish you could print observing lists without the export step.
Terrific app for people who know a little astronomy - This is a very good app for people who are fairly familiar with astronomy or who just like exploring. The controls are easy to access and use. The depth and breadth of information is astonishing. It is easy and quick to set up a viewing list for an evening. I haven’t used it for controlling my scope yet, but I am guessing that that will work well too. You can enter info about your scope and eyepieces to customize viewing of the sky in the app. The Help menu takes you to explanations of various aspects of the program such as coordinate systems, grids, and different kinds of objects and views avaialble. These are concise and clear, but again probably not the best choice for beginners.