Developer: Dominic Sellers-Blais
Current Version: 1.1
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 10.4 MB - Download
Photographic Memory for All Your Mac Apps!
Skim Clip is a unique new utility that combines Optical Character Recognition (OCR) with screen capture features to create a powerful and convenient new way of saving and organizing your information.
Using Skim Clip, you can capture the contents of any window or screen area, scan and save all its text including words in images, and store it into organized categories - all with a single keypress.
With the clipping converted into scanned computer text, you can instantly search thousands of clippings to find what you're looking for. Like a photographic memory with a search engine, Skim Clip makes it easy to keep, find, and reuse anything that's ever on your screen!
* Instantly clip with a single hot key from any application
* Fast and accurate OCR text conversion of any screen
* Scales to easily manage thousands of clippings
* Very quickly search OCR text, notes, and more
* Reuse your clipping by emailing, saving, and pasting them
* Present your clippings with slideshows and quicklook
* Create clipping categories and subcategories
* Export dozens of clippings in a single click
* Browse your clippings as thumbs or a listing
* Get visual feedback and categorize anywhere with the status menu
* Set your own hot key, export style, and more
* Automated custom scanned text processing
* Integrate Skim Clip into your workflow with AppleScript
* Double tap the hot key to instantly add a note for extra convenience
* Elegant interface to help keep your clips organized
* Keep focused on your work with Skim Clip always ready
* Optimized OCR for English with support for other languages coming in a future update
Skim Clip is a revolutionary new research tool that's lightning fast, powerful for large projects, and fun to use. Give Skim Clip a try today and see the usefulness for yourself!
Optical Character Recognition or OCR is a programmatic way of analyzing an image and extracting editable text from it. The most frequent use of OCR is converting scanned literature into computer documents. Skim Clip extends the OCR concept to analyzing screen captures, allowing for quick search of captured images.
Skim Clip's OCR engine generally performs very well when compared with high-end server side OCR workflows while being available much faster and more conveniently. Like all OCR applications, Skim Clip's OCR accuracy is less than 100%. If you're having difficulty converting text, you may want to try increasing your application's font size.
As a major use of Skim Clip's OCR is instant screen capture search, we preserve text artifacts from things like buttons, allowing you to easily find clips using any keyword you remember. This can cause occasional incorrect characters as logos and icons may be interpreted as words or letters, but the main text passages on your window will typically be converted with good accuracy. You can use Skim Clip's filter processing to remove many of these artifacts. Please contact us if you'd like an example.
Important Note: If you're having problems with word recognition accuracy, please increase the on screen text size. Traditional OCR is typically performed with 300 or higher DPI (Dots per Inch), whereas most computer screens have a PPI (Pixels per Inch) of half or less that. Given that this lower density results in dramatically fewer pixels for OCR analysis (e.g. 100 PPI has 11% the pixels/dots as 300 DPI), the best solution is to increase the on screen text size.
* Clip anywhere on the screen by holding the clip hot key for freeform selection
* Custom filtering of scanned text for advanced processing
* Automate clipping with AppleScript
* Improved image processing for better accuracy
* Sound effect when clipping
* Option to remove headers when exporting
* Increased mail export compatibility
* Plain text export
* Convenient details expansion
Most Helpful Reviews
Awesome App. Very Helpful! - As a graduate student with a full time job and a family, I have very litte time on my hands, and this app has helped me in many ways to save time by giving me the ability to do research more efficiently. It is very accurate at reading and transcribing text, even in flash websites and on images. If research is something you do a lot of but you don't want to take the time to type a lot, this app is awesome. PS-You will still have to proofread what you get, but you'll find as I have that Skim Clip is a very worthwhile help.
Kind of works - Kind of doesn't - It doesn't work at all on smaller text. Just puts out a lot of jiberish example - ￼hlndi-p|l|n:[email protected]|s.ﬂmlnblwnm|whymIf|n:.ﬁﬂkfngu1|0umi|hc|ir|ur It worked better when I enlarged the text but still gave me a significant amount of jiberish to proof read out. Great idea. Poor exicution. All in all - I regret my purchase. Waste of money. :(
More Reviews for Current Version
Excellent! - Perfect for OCRing editable text out of e-books!!!
Excellent! - Perfect for OCRing editable text out of PDF and e-books scans!!! People who are having trouble — Don’t just try to capture a whole window! You have to *HOLD* CMD-Opt-CTRL-C and select to get the best results... Manually select only what you want to be scanned -> Hold the keys CMD-Opt-CTRL-C and move the mouse to box in the specific text you want to OCR from the image on your screen. It works fantastic with great accuracy.
Works great in Sierra - I am using app in Sierra and it is working great. As another user pointed out, it it better to use it by utilizing the area selection tool rather than capturing the entire page. This app has saved me TONS of time recovering text from an old locked ebook that I created and no longer had access to copy from. I have not seen any other app to offer a similar functionality. Kudos to the author.
Poor OCR Functionality. Clumsy interface, - Poor OCR Functionality. Clumsy interface,