Developer: Coding Turtle
Current Version: 1.3
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 3.4 MB - Download
You should encrypt your files to keep them safe from prying eyes. This is especially important when sending files to other Macs over untrusted email, instant messaging, and cloud-based services.
Scrambler is a simple, secure, and robust encryption app for the Mac. All you have to do is this:
1. Drag a file on Scrambler's icon in the menu bar
2. Type a password
To decrypt a scrambled file, just drag it back on Scrambler and type in the same password.
• You can also drag folders, or a collection of files and folders, on Scrambler — they will be encrypted into a single scrambled file
• The recipients of your scrambled files do not necessarily have to purchase Scrambler — they can download a free “decrypt-only” version of the app called Descrambler, also available on the Mac App Store
• You can configure Scrambler to automatically delete the original item(s) after encryption/decryption
• All icons, artwork, and user interface are fully compatible with the new retina display Macs
• Uses industry-standard tar archiving and gzip compression
• Preserves OS X metadata of the original files, including extended attributes
• Uses 50,000 iterations of the industry-standard PBKDF2 key derivation function to generate the encryption key, which makes brute-force attacks on scrambled files practically impossible (unless the user chooses a weak password)
• Uses the secure industry-standard AES-256-CBC encryption algorithm
• Fully open and documented encrypted file format
• Scrambled files can, if desired, be decrypted in the OS X Terminal using free and open source command-line tools
• Runs in sandbox mode, a technology that vastly improves app security and is highly recommended by Apple for all Mac apps
• Fixes visual bugs and adds support for dark mode on OS X Yosemite.
If you like Scrambler, please leave a review. It makes a huge difference to us. Thank you in advance!
Most Helpful Reviews
Great app! - Perfect solution for my problem! If you use any cloud services like Dropbox for files sync but would like to keep some of your private data encrypted and don't want to get your hands dirty in command line each time you need to encrypt/decrypt a file -- this is the best app to use! Also got a very quick response on my support email, which is always a big plus to developer. Great work, guys! Looking forward for future updates.
Failed to decrypt a large file (over 1 GB) - I was scared, I encrypt the files (took a while), decrypt it, works well at first time. so I encrypt it again, delete the original, and after a few days wasn't able to decrypt it, random Error and the locker turns red (not a password error). Hopefully I decrupt it with the terminal, openssl and aes decrypt, it worked, but I'm getting rid of that app.
More Reviews for Current Version
Simple and great! - This app does what it says it does: provides a simple way to scramble and descramble a file. Very easy to use and reliable. Awesome app!