Developer: Avery deGruchy
Current Version: 1.4.1
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 2.1 MB - Download
Rename It is an easy-to-use batch file* renaming tool that saves you time and energy.
• A simple to use interface makes renaming your files easy.
• Save your customized renaming schemes for future use.
• A handy preview window allows you to see the original file names as well as a live preview of the final file names.
• When renaming files, you can replace the original files, move the newly named files, or copy the newly named files.
• Drop files on the app icon in the dock to quickly add files to the renaming list.
• Use system services to quickly select files from the Finder to rename (You may need to log out and back in before this takes effect).
• Rename It remembers your settings and files from the previous session.
• QuickLook files right from the file list.
• Add Text: Allows you to add given text before or after the file's base name or extension.
• Add Date: Allows you to insert a chosen date, the current date, the file's date created, or the file's date modified into the file name.
• Change Case: Allows you to change a file's name to lowercase, uppercase, or title case.
• Insert Text: Allows you to insert given text at a given point in the file name.
• Remove Text: Allows you to remove a given number of characters from the beginning of the file name, the end of the file name, or within a range.
• Replace Text: Allows you to replace given text with other text.
• Make Sequential: Allows you to append a running count to the file's original name, or a new name.
*Please Note: Rename It does not currently support renaming folders.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Rename It from launching after quitting the app with files left in the file list.
What's new in version 1.4:
- Added the ability to save renaming schemes for future use.
- Rename It remembers the renaming scheme, file list, and output options from the previous session.
- New preference enables you to turn on/off alerts for items that were not added to the file list.
- New icon
- Fixed an issue that prevented preferences from saving.
- Fixed an issue where '/' turned to ':' and prevented rename.
- Fixed an issue where dates were off by a day due to a time zone localization error.
- Fixed an issue where copying to the original location does nothing.
- Other bug fixes.
Most Helpful Reviews
UNBELIEVABLE. - OK, I don't write reviews very often. But this app. Holy cow. Seriously. The developers thought of EVERYTHING. I'm using it because I'm an author and I have to put a very technical computer book that's almost 600 pages into a second edition. Hundreds of screen captures have to be removed, changed, renamed, renumbered, etc. This app has saved me HOURS, and also tons of boredom. I'm SO HAPPY with this app. SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS AND DOING IT SO VERY, VERY, VERY WELL! If it was $20, I wouldn't have bought it. But now that I have it and can see what it can do and how easy it is to operate, I would have gladly paid that much for it. The only con is the logo. It's kinda ugly. But that is a SMALL price to pay for such a workhorse of an app. The current version (as of right now) has 12 five star ratings and nothing else. That says something.
Does not rename files! - It does not rename, it copies and then deletes the original (does not move it to trash). This wouldn't be a problem except the copy isn't like the original. Close, but Spotlight Comments are not copied. I edited a lot of spotlight comments last night, then used Rename It, trusting that the comments would be there and found out by accident they weren't. Test it yourself. This moved it from 5 stars to 1 star for me.
More Reviews for Current Version
Latest Revision Problem - The latest revision has a flaw that renders the app worthless. Specifically, I frequently update files I have in sequential order. However, in this latest revision when you select sequential files for rename, the app places them in the list in a wholly random fashion. Consequently, once the rename has been completed the files are no longer in the same order, but are renamed in a random fashion. This really needs to be corrected!
Great lil app - but issue with 1.4 and 1.4.1 - I agree with clocker918's comment below - The latest revision has a flaw that renders the app worthless. When you add the files, it's doing so in a random fashion. I tried to sort my files in many ways to see how's it sorting it but I can't figure it out! Looks like it will just list files in a random order and I cannot correctly rename my files. Please correct this bug asap! Just got a quick reply from the support team - "In the meantime, please add your files to Rename It using one of the alternative methods to avoid this issue. This issue seems to only happen if you add files using the add button or the "Add Files..." option from the File menu. If you drag the files from the Finder to the file list in Rename It, the files will be loaded in the same order they appear in the Finder. This also works if you select the desired files in the Finder, right click on the files, and choose "Rename with Rename It."
This worked perfectly until I upgraded to Mavericks - After upgrading my Mac to Mavericks, this app is broken. I try to rename groups of photos, and instead of just replacing the files, it leaves behind the original file, and creates the new file with text added to the name. Then I go to delete that original file, and it deletes both the original and renamed file.
Excellent App! - Does what it says for a reasonable price. - I needed something to rename files for mass document changes at work because we are rebranding the company after being divided by a sale. I used “Perfect Rename” first… big mistake. Every function in the app required more money to add functionality. The only thing perfect rename did that I’d like to see in this app is a flowchart to add multiple changes to the name e.g. “Text add > Text replace > Date append” which excecutes in that order. I highly recommend this app over anything else, it’s cheap and reliable and if you need to make multiple changes to the name, just drag the files in again like I did! Don’t pay $30 for crap you don’t need.
Works Great! - I just used this to rename old photos that I have been scanning in from slides. Using the drag and drop method I was able to rename all the photos and organize them to easily find them later. Thanks for the great little app.