Developer: Pixelmator Team
Current Version: 3.6
Last Updated: 4 months ago
Download Size: 57.6 MB - Download
Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac features and technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions with ease. Once your images are ready, save them to popular image formats, share them via email or social networks, print them, or instantly add them to your Photos library. All right from Pixelmator.
The new Pixelmator 3.6 Cordillera is designed to integrate seamlessly with macOS Sierra’s fresh and modern look, macOS Continuity features, like Handoff and iCloud Drive, and it works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to parts of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or re-arrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Reshape areas to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Play with over 160 breathtaking effects
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
• See stunning results in real-time
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Designed with friendly interface features for intuitive ease of use
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer styles presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer styles presets
• Apply any of the layer styles presets with a drag and drop
• Send your images directly to Photos
• Open and save images using PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly take your work to all your Macs
• Skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Editing extensions for the Photos app:
• Retouch photos with powerful Pixelmator Retouch tools right inside the Photos app
• Reshape images with Metal-based Pixelmator Distort tools without leaving Photos
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of macOS features and technologies like Cocoa, OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
Pixelmator 3.6 Cordillera brings full support for macOS Sierra and the all-new MacBook Pro Touch Bar, adds Tabs, includes a content-aware Smart Refine feature, Deep Images support, and more.
• Pixelmator is now fully compatible with macOS Sierra.
• The Touch Bar keeps your favorite Pixelmator tools and the most useful options always at hand.
• Use Tabs to easily manage your Pixelmator windows.
• The new Smart Refine feature lets you instantly improve selections with stunning accuracy and speed.
• Support for Deep Images makes colors in 16-bit images more vibrant and true-to-life on Wide Color displays.
• Set the most useful tool options for your selected tool right in the Touch Bar.
• The Touch Bar is customizable, so you can choose exactly which tools you’d like to keep in it.
• Use the Touch Bar to change color, alignment, and other text properties.
• When previewing effects or adjustments, a Show Original button lets you take a peek at the original image.
• Use Rotate and Scale sliders to transform layers.
• And do a lot more!
• Quickly drag and drop layers between documents in different tabs.
• Merge all your Pixelmator windows into a single one by choosing Window > Merge All Windows.
• Close all tabs except the current one by Option-clicking the Close button of the tab you’re in.
• New images open in a new tab according to your preferences in System Preferences > Dock – either Always, In Full Screen Only, or Manually.
• If your tab preferences are set to In Full Screen Only or Manually, hold down the Option key when opening or creating new documents to open them in a new tab.
New features and other gems in macOS Sierra:
• With support for the Universal Clipboard, you can now seamlessly copy images and text between Pixelmator on your Mac and iOS devices.
• Precisely align windows and palettes by moving them close to each other.
• Double-click the edge of a window to automatically expand that edge.
Smart Refine and Refine Selection:
• Using an advanced edge-detection algorithm, Smart Refine precisely snaps your existing selection to object edges in your image.
• Customize just how edge-sensitive Smart Refine is using the Edge Detection slider in the Refine Selection dialog.
• You can now edit your selection while the Refine Selection dialog is open – paint to subtract from your selection, hold down the Option key and paint to add to your selection.
• Use the [ and ] keys to change the size of the selection brush.
• With support for P3 color and Wide Color displays, all 16-bit images on the new MacBook Pro, iMac with Retina 4K display, and iMac with Retina 5K display look more vibrant and true to life.
• 16-bit images also look better on standard displays, as dithering is applied to subtly smooth gradients and remove visible banding.
• Dithering is also applied when reducing the color depth of an image from 16 bits to 8 bits.
Quick Selection improvements:
• The Quick Selection Tool now has a live preview.
• It’s also much faster, thanks to a faster algorithm.
• And it’s more accurate, too – especially with black and white images.
Most Helpful Reviews
One of the best - Made specifically for the Mac (and now iOS), Pixelmator is among the best experiences you will have on a Mac. All the menus are consistent with the OS, so it feels like it was made by Apple themselves. All the tools will be familiar to anyone who has used Photoshop, and while some other features work a bit differently, usually the Pixelmator way is faster and easier. I note some negative reviews, stating the app doesn’t work well on El Capitan. Actually, since Pixelmator is built on the very framework of OSX, including Metal, and El Capitan changed the Core Image technology for OSX, this required a complete rewrite of Pixelmator. They did this, and it was released just a few days after El Capitan, which explains the negative comments in the interim. After the update, it works as well as ever. This leads us to a few comments about the Pixelmator team. Note that they did a complete rewrite of the application to follow the changes in El Capitan, yet did not charge anything for users to upgrade to the new version. Many other apps would charge the complete regular fee again, such as Acorn did recently. These guys did all that work for free. Also note that the website has many short and simple tutorial videos, which will get you up and running in no time. I find the entire experience joyful, and I think you should give it a try.
Pixelmator completely unusable on El Capitain! - I’ve been a huge Pixelmator fan since 2012. It has always been my go-to image editor, and I swore by it for everything I did. But since I updated to El Capitain, Pixelmator has been horribly unusable. Things that used to be super easy and quick, like adding text or cropping, have become completely laggy and it studders like nothing else. I also ran into constant beachballing and crashing whenever I tried to do *anything*. I hoped today’s update would fix these issues, but now whenever I try to open a large file (which worked perfectly fine and was buttery smooth on Yosemite), the applicaton just crashes without even opening the project. I have several school projects depending on this app working, and I’m not happy. Pixelmator Team, please fix this soon. For now though, 1 star.
More Reviews for Current Version
Best image editor - Been a long time fan of Pixelmater for many versions, and it just keeps getting better. I had been an Adobe Photoshop user for many years and I was getting tired of forking over big $$$$ for each new version, then came along PixelMator. I gave it a try and while in the early days it was not necessarily a 100% replacement, it was outstanding at what it did. From then on I was a convert and happy I did. Pixelmator has improved greatly since then and continues to improve with each version so much so that I don’t miss photoshop at all. Great Job Pixelmator!!!
Pixelmator - In the past, I used Photoshop. I am not a designer by any means but there are times I need a photo editor for certain tasks. I very much appreciate how this desktop version works seemlessly with its iOS companion app. This has covered all the basics, and then some, for me anyways… hard for me to rate it anything less than 5 stars. Keep up the great work/
unusable - I loved this when it worked but, since I upgraded my operating system, all it does is crash. Beware!
Photoshop user for many years - I have been a Photoshiop user for years and found the Pixelmator had some things that Phtoshop did not and in many instances found it easire and faster with Pixelmator. There was about a 45 minuete learnijg curve so I felt comfortable and now, it is pretty much my go to program.
Needed an app to replace colors... - So I haven’t leveraged all the functions in Pixelmator, I admit it, but I purchased this app for an easy way to replace colors. It’s so close to being great..but that color wheel makes it impossible to select specific colors…so basically I have to find another solution. Bummer.