Developer: Pixelmator Team
Current Version: 3.7
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 78.3 MB - Download
Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac features and technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions with ease. Once your images are ready, save them to popular image formats, share them via email or social networks, print them, or instantly add them to your Photos library. All right from Pixelmator.
The new Pixelmator 3.7 Mount Whitney is designed to integrate seamlessly with macOS High Sierra’s fresh and modern look, macOS Continuity features, like Handoff and iCloud Drive, and it works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to parts of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or rearrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Reshape areas to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Play with over 160 breathtaking effects
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer style presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer style presets
• Apply any of the layer style presets using drag and drop
• Launch Pixelmator directly from Photos and save edits back to the original image
• Open and save images using PSD, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Import HEIF images
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly sync your work across all your Macs
• Skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Editing extensions for the Photos app:
• Retouch photos with powerful Pixelmator retouching tools right inside the Photos app
• Reshape images with Metal-based Pixelmator distort tools without leaving Photos
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of macOS features and technologies like Cocoa, OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
Pixelmator 3.7 Mount Whitney brings full support for macOS High Sierra, adds the ability to launch Pixelmator from the Photos app and save edits back to your original image, features support for importing HEIF images, and more.
• Pixelmator is now fully compatible with macOS High Sierra.
• Launch Pixelmator directly from Photos and save your edits back to the original image in your library.
• Support for importing HEIF images.
• Improvements to the Repair Tool algorithm make the Repair Tool faster and more accurate.
• The Pixelmator extensions for the Photos app would quit unexpectedly on certain newer Mac computers. Fixed.
• The Quick Selection Tool’s live preview would appear in the lower left corner of the image. It’s back to where it should be.
• The Pixelmator Change Type of Images Automator action would not convert files to PSD. Fixed.
• Improved support for Photoshop images.
• Rulers would sometimes disappear when editing text. Fixed.
• It was not possible to drag and drop images from Safari and Photos directly into Pixelmator documents. Drag and drop is back.
Most Helpful Reviews
One of the best - Made specifically for the Mac (and now iOS), Pixelmator is among the best experiences you will have on a Mac. All the menus are consistent with the OS, so it feels like it was made by Apple themselves. All the tools will be familiar to anyone who has used Photoshop, and while some other features work a bit differently, usually the Pixelmator way is faster and easier. I note some negative reviews, stating the app doesn’t work well on El Capitan. Actually, since Pixelmator is built on the very framework of OSX, including Metal, and El Capitan changed the Core Image technology for OSX, this required a complete rewrite of Pixelmator. They did this, and it was released just a few days after El Capitan, which explains the negative comments in the interim. After the update, it works as well as ever. This leads us to a few comments about the Pixelmator team. Note that they did a complete rewrite of the application to follow the changes in El Capitan, yet did not charge anything for users to upgrade to the new version. Many other apps would charge the complete regular fee again, such as Acorn did recently. These guys did all that work for free. Also note that the website has many short and simple tutorial videos, which will get you up and running in no time. I find the entire experience joyful, and I think you should give it a try.
Pixelmator completely unusable on El Capitain! - I’ve been a huge Pixelmator fan since 2012. It has always been my go-to image editor, and I swore by it for everything I did. But since I updated to El Capitain, Pixelmator has been horribly unusable. Things that used to be super easy and quick, like adding text or cropping, have become completely laggy and it studders like nothing else. I also ran into constant beachballing and crashing whenever I tried to do *anything*. I hoped today’s update would fix these issues, but now whenever I try to open a large file (which worked perfectly fine and was buttery smooth on Yosemite), the applicaton just crashes without even opening the project. I have several school projects depending on this app working, and I’m not happy. Pixelmator Team, please fix this soon. For now though, 1 star.
More Reviews for Current Version
Pixelmator take over webp quicklook control but not working - I tried to email the customer service long time ago, and the response confirmed the problem but refuse to fix the issue. Pixelmator just take over quicklook for webp format, somehow it's not working with webp format quicklook. And it's stopping me to use other plugins for webp quicklook. I emailed, they confirm the bug, and tell me to update pixelmator's info.plist file manually. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Shame on your attitude, I did the update on the plist file, and recently, they finally brought updates on the pixelmator app. Guess what, the bug is still there!!!! SHAME.
CASUAL USER - Please, please, please make the interface available in black print on white background!! I love this app, but it is so frustrating to use. I cannot see what I need to see. Not all of the users are young people with no vision issues! Everything is SOOOOOO small that I need magnifers to use the app. I have to go through all sorts of “contortions” to view layers because the pictures are too small. I cannot see the guides to adjust the size of an object. It does everyting I wanted - and more- but it is exhausting for me to use. I get tired and give up on it many times. Can you PLEASE help us senior citizens out and improve the interface? We need LARGE and EASY TO READ!
Horrible support - Do not buy this product. It seemed to work fine editing my photos through the Mac extension. When I tried to sync those edited photos to my iPhone, they revert to the original. I immediately contacted Pixelmator for support, and heard nothing. I waited a week, emailed them again, and still nothing. Wasted $30
A great app, unstable version - Great app, big thank you to the development team. Although it has been incredibly unstable since the last update (3.7). Not useable as of the moment for me. Lags, then crashes. Espeically when there’s a selection and I zoom in. I’m also experiencing window flickering (the app’s windows rapidly appear and then disappear). Hopefully a fix is on the way, because the app has been working excellently before this most recent update. I’m using Pixelmator 3.7 on a retina MBP from 2013. Running on High Sierra.
Love the idea and direction but… small UI with no control to change... - …and black UI is nearly impossible to view unless you have perfect vision. Please include a white on black UI, and a way to increase the font size in the UI.