Patterns - The Regex App
Developer: Nikolai Krill
Current Version: 1.1.2
Last Updated: 9 months ago
Download Size: 1.4 MB - Download
Patterns is a simple yet powerful tool for working with regular expressions. Build great patterns quickly and effortlessly with syntax coloring, and with matching and replacing occurring in real time.
- Regular expression syntax coloring makes it easy to see how your pattern is interpreted by the regex engine. No more confusion about what needs to be escaped.
- See matches and replacements in real time while you edit your pattern.
- Copy match and replacement code snippets of your pattern for quick use in a number of different programming languages.
- The built-in regular expression reference sheet helps you find the piece of regex syntax you need.
- Highlighting of matching parentheses for capture groups in regex editor
- Bugfixes and improvements
- Fixes an issue where quotes and dashes are substituted in the text fields
- Support for macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Hover over a match to view the contents of capture groups
- Restoration of app state on quit and relaunch
Most Helpful Reviews
Takes at least some of the sting out of regexes - I love regular expressions; when applied correctly, they can greatly simplify your code as you search for/parse/replace text. They can be a real pain, though, as they become more complex. Patterns make getting your regexes correct a lot easier. The interactive highlighting makes debugging your regexes simpler--you can back up and go forward to see where you've gone awry. Great tool. Would love to see support for capture groups.
crash crash crash crash crash crash crash crash crash - what can I say? it crashes all the time.
More Reviews for Current Version
Enjoyable Way Experiment & Learn - I’ve used regular expressions off and on for the past few decades - they are indispensable for certain tasks, and huge time savers in others. But I don’t use them constantly, which means I often need a quick refresher to get things working just right. That’s where this nicely crafted app comes in. I find it a quick, and intuitive way to re-familiarize myself with the arcane workings of regex expressions. My compliments to Nikolai Krill for creating this gem!
Lots of potential, but very aggravating - I got this app to assist with constructing Regex terms. While it holds a lot of promise, there are two critical flaws. 1) There’s no way to save your work. By itself, that’s not a big deal. It becomes a big deal when the app crashes for no apparent reason. I’ve had the thing crash twice in the past 15 minutes after I’m close to getting a term done. If I had hair to pull out, I would. I hope the developer has Crashlytics installed so he/she can fix whatever the problem is.
Good… except for the fact that it crashes... - Very nice interface and intuitive… but after several sudden application crashes on my MB Pro running El Capitan, I have had to give up and purchased a competitor’s application instead.