PDFScanner - Scanning and OCR
Developer: Felix Rotthowe
Current Version: 1.11.9
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 91.4 MB - Download
There are many applications for macOS that allow scanning of images or text. Most of them are however complex, slow or not really suited for scanning documents or letters.
PDFScanner has been created with one simple task in mind: Scanning and archiving documents as quick and easy as possible, and making them findable with Spotlight search.
When performing OCR, PDFScanner adds the recognized text directly to the scanned image as an invisible layer, so the text can be selected and copied just like in other PDF files.
PDFScanner supports the following features:
• Support for all scanners that are supported by the macOS Image Capture application (please check that using the scanner in Image Capture works before purchasing to be sure)
• Optical character recognition to make the document searchable, allow to find it via Spotlight and other search tools or copy the text.
• Supported OCR languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish
• Intuitive and fast user interface to reorder, delete or edit pages
• Fully automatic straightening of crooked pages (deskew)
• Full multithreading support. Scanning, OCR and straightening is done on multiple pages in parallel and you can even reorder or delete pages while PDFScanner is still working
• „Fake Duplex“ mode to simplify scanning of double sided documents without a duplex scanner
• Saving to PDF (optionally compressing the scan inside the PDF to save disk space). PDFScanner can perform super high compression for monochrome scans (usually < 50kb per page including OCR text)
• Customizable file name patterns (include for example date, time and machine name in the filename) - PDFScanner can even guess the document title and date from the OCR text.
• It is also possible to open or import existing PDF documents and perform OCR on them via a menu option (the language can be set in the Preferences).
• Advanced users can use the included Automator action to create custom OCR workflows or folder actions
PDFScanner runs on Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra and is only available on the Mac App Store.
Fix for a rotation bug on High Sierra
Most Helpful Reviews
Great scans , nice file size. Just a couple of wishes - This utility works really well. I use it quite often, especially during tax season. I have a 2006 HP Officejet 2410 and it works much better than the printer or the preview’s scan utilties. I’ve recently realized that I can scan several documents and do selective saving as it’s still scanning. It’s such a big time saver over scanning, saving, reloading….scanning, saving, reloading. There are 2 features that I wish it had. Save to Preview. So it will open the scan in Preview. This gives me the ability to modify or email the PDF before it’s actually saved. And a Scan history feature, so I can locate where I saved my last 10 scans. Much like the Download history button in Safari. I sometimes mistakingly save a scan in the wrong place and there isn’t an easy way to track down where I saved it. Otherwise, this is a really great, simple scan software.
Simply doesn’t work as promised. Do not buy this app. - I bought this app because it had great reviews and it advertised one key feature I was looking for: I could import/open existing PDFs that we not text searchable and convert them to PDFs that were text searchable. This function does not work in this product. I want my money back but there is no way to get it back. Save yourself $15 and AVOID THIS APP.
More Reviews for Current Version
No instructions - I bought this to extract text from scanned documents (OCR). There is no information on how to do this program. I guessed it had something to do with highlight the ROI in blue and then choosing OCR. This does something, however there is no filename or location where the OCR file is stored so it is basically lost. Seems very counter intuitive. Wouldn’t it be logical to have a normal ROI function, followed by a normal “save” box? Not sure if there is any way to get a refund.
Excellent - Does what it says it will do; no muss, no fuss. I wish all apps worked as well!
Works beautifully - I’ve been using PDF Scanner for about 2-3 years now, with a few different scanners. I love the simplicity and that “it just works”. Highly recommended!
Fake Duplex is Incredible - I bought PDFScanner because I have very long, two-sided documents that need to be scanned but I do not have a duplex scanner. With the Fake Duplex feature, I scan one side then the other and PDFScanner creates a single document with all the pages in the correct order. Great feature! It works flawlessly every time.
Problems - For reasions I cannot explain after the latest OS Apple Update the software program does not recognize Fujitsu Desktop scanners and it will not allow a Duplex setting.