Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dict
Developer: Oxford University Press
Current Version: 8.7.308
Last Updated: 11 days ago
Download Size: 211.2 MB - Download
120 SAMPLE ENTRIES ONLY. This free download gives you 120 sample entries from the new OALD 9th edition. You will not be able to cross-refer from these entries to other words that are in the full dictionary. To have access to the full dictionary with all features you will need to buy it via in-app purchase. *All existing users of the OALD8 app can also re-download OALD8 from the Catalogue of Dictionaries to continue using it for free.*
IMPORTANT: the price you will pay for the OALD9 in-app purchase will depend on whether you are a new user of OALD or whether you are an existing user (someone who previously bought the OALD8 app).
If you are a new user, you will pay the full price for OALD9.
If you are an existing user, you can upgrade to OALD9 for a discount.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any queries or require any assistance with the OALD app.
Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) to develop their English skills for work and study.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download over 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Click any word in an entry to instantly look it up
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• Create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• Export your Favourite lists
The 9th edition of OALD has come to Mac OS!
The free preview entries are now from OALD9 rather than OALD8, and OALD9 is added as an in-app purchase.
Please re-download OALD8 for free at any time from the Catalogue of Dictionaries. Your Favourites will be preserved.
You do not have to upgrade to OALD9, but if you choose to do so now or later, you will be offered OALD9 at a discounted rate. Your OALD8 Favourites will also be transferred to OALD9.
If you decide to upgrade to OALD9, you will get:
· New words and meanings
· New Practice your Pronunciation feature
· New folders in Favourites
Most Helpful Reviews
worth the purchase - Exceptional, first-rate, exemplary, magnificent, sterling, superlative! I have acquired Oxford dicionaries for other platforms and they all left something to be desired. However this one is exactly what I was looking for. I particularly like the fact that you can start typing right off the bat, without having to go to the search field. Little, but very practical detail. The quality of the spoken sentences, which you can optionally download later, could use higher quality. In a nutshell, it is the whole OALD at your fingertips. Well worth the purchase.
It is useless now - I have purchased it a few years ago and it has been working anyhow till this update. After upgrading the app yesterday, it doesn’t download and it takes forever. In my case, I have kept my macbook pro 15 on the whole night and its download progress didn’t move a pixel forward. Why we can’t simply download it from the app store with all of its data?
More Reviews for Current Version
Potentially Great Dictionary - Thank you for bringing Oxford 9 to Mac App Store. I have been waiting for it. Some complains about why they have to pay on their iPhones as well as on their Mac! Well, They are comparing apples and oranges! we paid for each separately from the begining. Thank you for giving your pre-existing customers a satisfactory discount to upgrade! I managed to purchase and download within the app swiftly! Maybe you should post a tutorial for us to help people to do that. Update: whenever Oxford app is open and I use cmd+ctrl+F to make other apps full screen, Oxford app pops up and becomes full screen instead!!! That's weird and bothersome! I have to "quit" the app in order to be able to use my mac routinely. Even in here, Mac App Store, if I use cmd+ctrl+F to make full screen, Oxford app will pop up and become full screen! haha I would give 5 star if the app didn't interrupt me like that!