Developer: Ginger Labs
Current Version: 2.8.1
Last Updated: 8 days ago
Download Size: 34.2 MB - Download
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** Bug fixes in 2.8.1 ***
• Bug fix: Recording playback didn't work properly for some notes
• Bug fix: Starting a recording can cause a crash (Yosemite only)
• Bug fix: Restored 20 minutes increments for recordings
*** What's New in 2.8 ***
• Greatly improved search speed
• Improved audio recovery when Notability is terminated while recording
*** Bug Fixes in 2.8 ***
• Notes would sometimes not download properly from iCloud
• Notes will no longer be duplicated when enabling/disabling iCloud sync
• Better handling of renaming sub-folders in Google Drive and then exporting Notability notes to renamed folder
• Sticky notes with a lot of handwriting could cause crashes when dragged around quickly in a note
• Fixed a crash related to subject names
• Other minor bug fixes
Most Helpful Reviews
Oustanding note taking for classes - This app is getting me through vet school without killing an entire forest of trees! I love the simple interface personally - I dislike visual clutter. Perfect functionality for me to keep track of all my classes. I primarily use the iPad app to take notes on .ppts that professor provide with a stylus. The ability to sync with Google drive and convert files and then export are all super. I have had the occasional crash, but have never lost anything and considering how heavily I use it nearly every day….very solid app. Now with the computer version, I have more versatility in studying and can keep my notes together and organized regardless of which device I’m using. I’m an older student and had always taken written notes…i really wasn’t sure about the transition to note-taking electronically, but this app has made it extremely useful, efficient and I think has been just as effective for learning and studying. It’s really nice not hauling around four binders of notes and papers for 10+ classes!
DO NOT BUY FOR MAC - I bought this for taking notes after a friend suggested it. Bought it on my mac and was planning on using my iPad in class then studying on my Mac. If this is your thought process DO NOT BUY THIS APP! You will have to pay for it twice! Had I known this I would not have bought it considering it doesn’t really offer anything more than other free note taking apps especially since macs are not touch screen and most of the best features would be better on a touchscreen device. Even with this difficuly, I decided that I paid for the app and I was going to give it a shot. It didn’t take long for me to discover the further shortcomings. The app is glitchy when it comes to typing and inserting text boxes as well as moving them after I had already placed them somewhere. Not worth all the frustration of trying to fix the boxes to fit in the spaces it would allow.