Developer: Ginger Labs
Current Version: 2.4.1
Last Updated: 5 days ago
Download Size: 30.6 MB - Download
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox and Google Drive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
- Notability now detects a variety of typed or pasted data, so you can:
-- Click a hyperlink to open it in your web browser.
-- Click a date to add a calendar event.
-- Click an email address to start a message in your email app.
-- Click a phone number to dial it.
-- Click a street address to open it in Maps.
- Recover older versions of a note if iCloud syncing is enabled in Notability. To do this, right-click on a note thumbnail or title in the note list.
- Select a destination folder for Auto-backup in the all-new preferences panel.
- Progress bar for Auto-backup.
- Fixed an issue where Notability would unexpectedly scroll to the top of the document.
- Fixed a resizing issue when Notability is used in Split View.
- Fixed a crash when re-ordering pages in the page navigator.
- Fixed a file conversion issue during import.
- The toolbar no longer moves while recording audio.
New in 2.4.1
- Fixed a bug in PDF autobackup that could cause text box content to be hidden.
- Several other minor bug fixes
If you're enjoying Notability, we'd appreciate it if you took the time to leave us a review, thanks!
Most Helpful Reviews
Oustanding note taking for classes - This app is getting me through vet school without killing an entire forest of trees! I love the simple interface personally - I dislike visual clutter. Perfect functionality for me to keep track of all my classes. I primarily use the iPad app to take notes on .ppts that professor provide with a stylus. The ability to sync with Google drive and convert files and then export are all super. I have had the occasional crash, but have never lost anything and considering how heavily I use it nearly every day….very solid app. Now with the computer version, I have more versatility in studying and can keep my notes together and organized regardless of which device I’m using. I’m an older student and had always taken written notes…i really wasn’t sure about the transition to note-taking electronically, but this app has made it extremely useful, efficient and I think has been just as effective for learning and studying. It’s really nice not hauling around four binders of notes and papers for 10+ classes!
Massive sync issues - I love the concept of Notability - and in practice, it is 95% of a useful note-taking app. Love the ability to record audio and have it auto-syncronized with my handwriting/typing. What I don’t like, however, are the massive bugs with syncing between devices using iCloud. I was using Notability on my iPad to annotate a PDF for an assignment for class - great. Final part of the assignment was typing up a couple of paragraphs of explanation for my annotations, so I wanted to use my laptop keyboard. I load Notability on my laptop and take a look. The note I’d been using first didn’t show up, then showed up in three incorrect places (simultaneously), then kept losing text. I’d type a paragraph, it would remember the first three words. By the end, I just exported it, deleted every version from every device, then re-imported. Finally synced correctly. Files on the desktop version staunchly REFUSE to move between notebooks. These performance issues take it from a 5-star, must-have app to utter trash. I need reliability - and so does everyone else. I don’t trust this app not to lose all of my notes for an entire semester’s classes at some point in the sync process.
More Reviews for Current Version
Live by this app - I don’t normally review apps but this one bears noting that it is the best. I have been using Notability for several years with my iPad in corporate meetings to record and take notes so I didn’t miss anything. Since, I have returned to college to work on my next degree. I now have the 12.9” iPad Pro with the apple pencil. The pencil works perfectly as with this app and I actually am now haing using a pad for random calculations. Never am I making a trip to buy more legal pads, erasers, etc. I am using this setup as my notebook for every subject. It also is convenient to be able to snap a pic of something from the textbook and make notes as the professors are lecturing. Speaking of lecturing, the recording feature is insane. Once I have a note, I can share it quickly as a PDF and include the audio. My school pays people to take notes for others and I have become the go-to person for this since all I have to do is share it to the server as soon as class is over. SCORE!! Now Im getting paid for something I was already doing. Yaaaaa Notability! Buy this app. Use this app. You will. not be sorry you did. Now, In fairness, some professors have issues with the iPad setup for certain subjects. Check your local school policy before using this w/ iPad in your classes.
Great for iPad, okay for mac OS - First, I love the app. A must-have for student. I use it every day in med school. Combined with the apple pencil, it has completely replaced paper for me. Syncing between computer and iPad is near flawless. Problems for mac os: -My biggest pet peeve is that there is no way to highlight selected text from the background slide. You have to draw the highlighter on, which makes it look messy and takes too much time -inserting text box for typing can be buggy… sometimes it puts me in outline mode, other times it adds the text box. There should be an option to choose which one you want so you can add a text box on the left side of the page without having to drag it over. -Also shortcuts to change font haven’t worked for me so I have to go into the menu to change it. There should be an easily accessible toolbar when typing….
Live in this app, but still needs work... - App lags/scrolls when searching for specific text, especially in large documents.