Designed for video editors, Motion is a powerful motion graphics tool that makes it easy to create cinematic 2D and 3D titles, fluid transitions, and realistic effects in real time.
2D and 3D Titles
• Build 3D titles from scratch, design them with easy-to-use templates, or instantly convert any existing 2D title to 3D
• Easily create beautiful titles that you can animate with drag-and-drop behaviors and intuitive text animation tools
• Choose from a large collection of text styles to create stunning designs in one click
• Customize 3D titles to create endless looks with over 90 Apple-designed 3D materials including various metal, wood, and stone surfaces
• Vector-based characters scale, skew, and rotate with pristine sharpness, while the modern engine in Motion lets you design in real-time
• Quickly animate text on or off the screen by choosing from more than 100 behaviors, including Type On and Blur Out
• Save any title and access it directly in Final Cut Pro
Motion Graphics for Final Cut Pro
• Customize Final Cut Pro titles, effects, and transitions by opening them in Motion
• Build stunning 2D and 3D compositions with more than 1900 royalty-free Apple-designed elements
• Make adjustments to any parameter during playback and instantly see results
• Create Smart Motion Templates with any combination of single parameters and rigs, which let you control a group of parameters with a simple slider, pop-up menu, or checkbox in Final Cut Pro
• Use the intuitive keyframe tools in Motion for precise control of the timing and position of all the elements in your animation
• Choose from more than 230 behaviors for natural-looking motion without programming
• Track a moving object in a video clip with the point tracking and match move feature
• Create an accurate chroma key in a single step with the Keying filter
• Use SmoothCam to eliminate camera jitters and image stabilization to smooth bumpy shots
• Create your own paintbrushes and 3D strokes or use one of 140 brush presets
• Design your own particle emitters or choose from 200 presets for real-world effects such as smoke and sparkles
• Choose a circle or rectangle mask or use the bezier and freehand mask tools to quickly draw and adjust control points for rotoscoping
• Harness a thriving ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces for tasks like advanced tracking, color correction, and more
• Transition from 2D to 3D space by adding a camera or cameras to any 2D project
• Set up realistic shadows that animate dynamically with the movement of cameras and lights
• Track objects or groups of objects with drag-and-drop ease by applying the Camera Framing behavior
• Selectively define focus as an object moves in 3D space
• Turn any shape, video plane, or paint stroke into a reflective surface in 3D space
Breakthrough Speed, Quality, and Output
• GPU optimizations to speed up playback and rendering, with dual-GPU support for blazing performance on Mac Pro
• Import wide color images, view them on supported Mac computers, and then export in standard Rec. 709 or wide Rec. 2020 color space
• 64-bit architecture supports deeper, multilayered effects for use in Final Cut Pro
• Export projects to Apple devices and publish directly to popular websites such as Vimeo and YouTube
• Deliver ProRes 4444 video for uncompressed quality at reduced file sizes
• Send to Compressor to access advanced options for custom encoding
System Requirements: OS X 10.11.4 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D titles), OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later, 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D Titles), 4.8GB of disk space (3.6GB app, 1.2GB supplemental content).
Some features require Internet access; fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs.
• Fill filter lets you quickly fill an entire layer without requiring a separate layer and mask
• Missing plug-ins are identified correctly when opening a project
• Midtones are represented accurately when using the Color Balance filter
• Improves stability when scaling shapes from or to zero
• Improves stability when working with duplicated rigged filters and behaviors
• Fixes a stability issue that could occur when using keyboard shortcuts while a keyframe is selected in the Keyframe Editor
• Improves stability when moving the cursor across markers during playback
Introduced in Version 5.3
• Redesigned dark interface puts the focus on your motion graphics
• Updated arrangement of icons streamlines the Motion interface
• Window layouts are now optimized for portable Mac computers and desktop displays
• Images are now viewable in wide color on supported Mac computers and external displays
• Import, edit, and deliver video in standard Rec. 709 or in wide Rec. 2020 color spaces
• Support for the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro lets you easily adjust key attributes like kerning and text color
• Timeline overview in the Touch Bar lets you view your entire project at a glance and navigate with touch
• Improved Link behavior lets you link attributes such as width and height to drive animation automatically
• New Align To behavior lets you easily connect and animate multiple objects without keyframing
• Improved environment reflection controls allow for more realistic 3D text rendering with anisotropy, which changes the appearance of an object based on angle of view
• More realistic brushed metal surfaces enhance 3D text
• Improved performance when playing and adjusting 3D text
• New arrow cursor shape
• Support for Stickers format when exporting image sequences
• Additional Stickers project templates
• Support for Live Photos
• Play Selection command
Most Helpful Reviews
Great Application, but needs one thing... - I love motion 5, I have used it in most, if not all of my projects. It has a easy to use interface and you can get the hang of it really easily. For 50$ you’re getting a lot more than you paid for. I’ve also used motion in some of my school projects, (like for designing magazine covers and such) which is where would like to make a suggestion. I think Apple should add a feature at startup where you can select if you’re working with a photo or a video (or just have the option to export as a jpeg). If motion 5 had a picture editing feature that included all the same tools as the video editor I think it would have some really great potential and even be a bit of a competitor to photshop. But overall it’s a great application as is and really worth your 50$.
Avoid this update! Badly Crashes my MacBook Pro ! - Apple needs to review this release. Upon launching it for the first time the app crashed so hard on my early 2015 13-inch Macbook Pro that graphics on the computer were completely distorted and I could no longer use my computer. I could no longer read the screen. It looked like a messed up jigsaw puzzle. I opened Motion, loaded a new 3D template showing the earth from space. Pressed play and boom!!! I eventually managed to fumble into a place where I could perform a shutdown and I did. Tried the app again. Boom! Kills my Mac dead. :-( May 16, 2015 - Another release another train wreck. Crashes almost immediately after I start using it on my new Mac!! I guess it’s time to look for a replacement. Avoid this update! Gosh I hope I have a back up still I’d held on hoping for a successful bug free release - sadly that didn’t happen.
More Reviews for Current Version
Amazing product, stupid bugs in latest version - It seems the latest version of Motion has a lot of issues when working in older projects (“older” meaning from the immediately preceding version). For example, the latest version, for some reason, won’t let me edit some keyframes in older projects, making certain animations essentially impossible. In addition, Motion now crashes when I’m duplicating objects from one group into another. As mentioned in the title, I love Motion when it’s not buggy, but this version is difficult to appreciate in its current state. Please fix as soon as possible.
big clump of clay - like woking with a large CLUMP of clay…you’re trying to transform the clay into something useful and Motion crashes on you… no explanation simply a CRASH… boom…but it’s ALL I have… sadly… if the molders of the airplane were as incompetent as the molders of the computer we would all be grounded….
Too much lag - this application is amazing and love to see what future projects I can achieve with it, but I can not deal with the unbelievable amount of lag I get after just only trying to adjust and/or move anything. it would freaze up to 3-15 minutes at a time and it would be best in your guys best interest to fix it asap. Love the app hate the lag plz fix thx ^̮^
It works great! - Not sure why some people say it crashes on their Macs. Perhaps they may need to clear the PRAM and if applicable, disable their Antivirus.
Crashes at the worst possible time - Just started using Motion again and this version just crashes at the worst possible times. Very frustrating.