Developer: Midnight Martian
Current Version: 2.1
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 28.6 MB - Download
The popular 3D Mahjong Solitaire game created for the iPhone and iPad now comes to the Mac. Play arcade-style with progressively difficult levels, or relax with one of the non-competitive game modes. The gameplay is simple yet addictive.
Originally created for touch-screen iOS devices, Moonlight Mahjong on the Mac takes full advantage of a multitouch trackpad, but also can be played with a mouse. Intuitive control allows you to tilt and turn in virtual reality, allowing you to more easily see the tiles on the board.
Moonlight Mahjong on the Mac features four types of play:
Scramble Mode (the default): Make matches faster than the automated opponent "Tilebot" through increasingly difficult levels. The board is automatically reshuffled when you run out of matches, making this game mode easy (to start!) and fun.
Challenge Mode: Compete against Tilebot in full puzzle mode, with no automatic reshuffling, only undo. Challenge requires more strategy than Scramble.
Puzzle Mode: Solve puzzle boards with no time limit. Choose any layouts you like; no high scores.
Relaxation Mode: Clear boards with no time limit and automatic reshuffle when out of matches. Perfect for when you're just not in the mood to strategize or rush.
• Updated for OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"
• Losing in Scramble or Challenge mode now sends you back only three levels instead of five
• 58 new built-in layouts submitted by Moonlight Mahjong users
New Standard Layouts (these appear in Scramble and Challenge modes):
• "Arches" by Tlphoto (level 4)
• "Aztec Ruin" by Juan (level 6)
• "Bare Faced!" by Elizabeth Bygrave (level 13)
• "Barn" by 'Me' (level 7)
• "Baseship" by Jack (level 5)
• "Basket" by M Howard (level 5)
• "Blue Crab" by camo_junkie (level 10)
• "Boxed" by schugga (level 4)
• "Byrt 10" by Byrt (level 5)
• "Cafe Grande" by Mimi (level 3)
• "Cale 1" by Cale (level 7)
• "CandleStick" by Es Ce 2 (level 6)
• "Closed Temple" by M Howard (level 7)
• "Cosmic Sun" by Natalie L. (level 12)
• "Crab Feet" by Emmalee (level 7)
• "Cradle" by Prajnaparamita (level 3)
• "Crazy Mill" by Olgy13 (level 7)
• "Gate" by M Howard (level 5)
• "Gravedigger" by Elizabeth Bygrave (level 3)
• "In Square" by Ines (level 9)
• "Insectipod" by Rahnsom (level 19)
• "Knife's Edge" by Sevian (level 9)
• "Lunar Lander" by KultiVator (level 4)
• "Mimi's Flower Basket" by Mimi (level 5)
• "Mini Igloo" by Bryn (level 3)
• "Mini Potted Plant" by Bryn (level 2)
• "Mount Tile" by M Howard (level 7)
• "Mountain Bayta" by Gpp (level 13)
• "NoName Tower" by Celebrindal (level 12)
• "North Star" by Bianyo (level 9)
• "Open Roof Temple" by M Howard (level 4)
• "Parapit" by Isotelus (level 9)
• "S" by Luna422 (level 5)
• "Spirit Spires" by Stu The Dude (level 8)
• "Spitfire" by camo_junkie (level 10)
• "Star" by Jess (level 6)
• "Stick Man" by Bryn (level 4)
• "Stonehenge1" by Jon2T2 (level 8)
• "Sunshine" by Anonymous (level 2)
• "Teacup" by Bryn (level 5)
• "The Frog" by Luke (level 8)
• "Thunderburd" by Sammjune (level 7)
• "Tollbooth" by M Howard (level 7)
• "Tower of Epsilon" by J Dawg (level 13)
• "Why Y" by Stephen Glaros (level 13)
• "X Is The Spot" by Rahnsom
• "Xylophone" by MadAbigail
• "moe" by tomodachi (level 7)
New Additional Layouts (these do not appear in Scramble or Challenge modes, often due to being too large or too difficult… but they were too good to leave out entirely):
• "206" by JS
• "Basketweaver" by Elizabeth Bygrave
• "Christmas is Coming" by Becky
• "Frosty the Snowman" by Becky
• "Pyramid Town" by Brian
• "Ship of the Line" by camo_junkie
• "Spider" by MzKitty
• "Star Destroyer" by Jordan
• "The Gargantuan" by SpagetiNatels
• "kuzuretashiro" by tomodachi
Most Helpful Reviews
Indeed addictive, however, wish there were a "speed control" - I agree with the reviewers about this game being addictive, and that the "variable speeds" are exasperating. The same game is sometimes at a "do-able" rate and other times it is at a "super-player" rate. I wish there were a "speed control" where I could set the speed of the game to be just a little beyond my skill level. On the other hand, when I get peeved at the super-player rate, I stop the game and go do something else. So maybe it is fortunate for me that there is no speed-control option.
Big Miss - Does not work as well as the previous version, slow and clumbsy. I quickly navigate through the games using the layout window, having to constantly reopen this is irritating. Also needs to have the season and flower tiles changed to traditional versions. The red flower and leaf look like kindergarten work next to the elegance of the standard tiles. I used to play often, now i get frustrated with the clunkiness and my use has decreased measurably. I wish I could uninstall the update. This could be the best app ever except for deliberate choices made by the creators. Very disappointed.
More Reviews for Current Version
It is a hard game to leave…. - I am glad not to be dropped back so many levels if I can’t beat the time. It is one of the most addicting games I have ever played.
Great Game - I loved the first version and I am very happy with the new game puzzles. Not going back 5 levels keeps the game more lively.
great game - I love this game and having been playing it for several years now. Don’t try to play during a commercial though, too distracting and you need full concentration, especially in the upper levels. It is always a challange and one of the few games I keep coming back to.
moonlight additicton - I’ll admit it, one of the reasons I finally bought into apple was to gain access to this game!!! could find nothing else like it out in cyberspace…..! I have this on my Mac, iPad, iPhone ….. that being said …. the new layouts are awesome, the speed issue should be addressed tho, and I am wondering why we cannot choose background images on the Mac version as we can with the iPad and iphone version? …sometimes I want a little variety…… have to go and get one of my daily fixes…..tough being an addict to this game!!!
Fantastic Game - I agree with most of the reviewers that it is a most addictivce game. Over the years I have had several Mahjong solitaire games and this by far is the best. It is frustrating when it speeds up, but that’s the challenge isn’t it.