Developer: The Infinite Kind Limited
Current Version: 2017.5
Last Updated: 29 days ago
Download Size: 101.3 MB - Download
Moneydance is a complete personal financial management application that includes features such as online banking, online bill payment, investment management, budget tracking, scheduled transactions, check printing, detailed graphs, reports and much more.
∞ HOME PAGE
This is an overview of your finances. The information shown includes account balances, upcoming and overdue transactions and reminders, and exchange rate information. Clicking on an account or choosing an account from the drop-down account list will take you to the register for that account, where you can enter transactions or reconcile the account against a statement. Clicking on a transaction reminder will display a window where you can automatically record the transaction.
∞ ONLINE BANKING
Moneydance can automatically download transactions and send payments online from hundreds of financial institutions. It learns how to categorize and clean up downloaded transactions. Send online payments, for banks that support them, directly from scheduled transaction notifications. View the full list of supported direct-download banks at http://moneydance.com/fi Please note that some banks charge a monthly fee for download and bill payment services.
∞ ACCOUNT REGISTERS
The account register is used to enter, edit, and delete transactions in an account. It is visually similar to a paper checkbook register, but the calculation of balances and sorting of transactions is all done automatically. The payee auto-complete feature makes it easier to enter and categorize your transactions.
Follow your investments and bring your portfolio into focus with support for stocks, bonds, CDs, mutual funds, and more. View the total value of your investment accounts or the performance of individual stocks and mutual funds over time. Stock splits and cost basis computations are a snap, and current prices can be downloaded automatically.
You can set up a payment schedule for single or recurring transactions so you'll never miss a payment.
Use the graphing tool to generate visual reports of your income and expenses. Set the graph type, the date range, and any specific settings for the type of graph you desire. Pop-up balloons display more information about the data being graphed as you move the mouse pointer over different regions of the screen. Graphs can also be printed or saved to PNG image files.
Set spending targets for categories per month, week or any other interval. View your up-to-the-minute budget status right in the toolbar, on the home page or in detailed graphs and reports. Use the highly acclaimed "envelope method" to specify expenses for each period and your to-the-minute status is shown with over-budget items highlighted. Moneydance will help you set a target and stick to it!
Enable file syncing to share or collaborate on a data file across multiple computers. Whether sharing with your partner or accountant, syncing your data will provide secure efficient access to your accounts from any computer.
∞ NATURAL LANGUAGE TRANSACTION ENTRY
Start typing a transaction description into the search field and Moneydance will intelligently fill in the details based on natural language date parsing and your history. For example, typing "1.23 sta" will display a transaction entry panel with the name Starbucks, category "Coffee", today’s date under the last account to have a transaction for Starbucks. The description, category and account are filled in based on your history.
Attach images, PDFs, and other such files to transactions by dragging the file into the register. Clicking an attachment thumbnail will open it in an appropriate application.
When you're on the go, you can use the Moneydance mobile app to enter or edit transactions and view balances. Changes are synced instantly and securely with your desktop. Available for free in the app store for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
As usual Moneydance has fantastic support for online banking & bill payment, credit card & bank account management, budgeting, investing, mobile app and computer-to-computer syncing, and much more. Moneydance 2017.5 brings further improvements including:
* Please note that the printing issue present since macOS 10.12.4 is fixed by macOS 10.13 (High Sierra). We strongly recommend updating to High Sierra as soon as it is available if you need to print (even to a PDF file)
* Fix issue that duplicated existing transactions after they were changed on a mobile device
* Fix built-in text file import to not ignore credit_amount and debit_amount fields
* Fixed issue with online banking/investment connections to Vanguard
* No longer dismiss the new-file-from-sync window until the initial sync has successfully completed
* Avoid warning/info messages when custom security subtypes are loaded or changed
* Handle situations in which synced data can be left inconsistent if Moneydance crashed or was killed before the initial sync completed
* Ignore some generic prefixes in the description/payee fields for the purposes of finding similar downloaded and local transactions
* Added encrypted storage and handling of HTTP cookies for OFX connections
* Added markers showing the date and price of buy or sell transactions on the security detail graph (thanks to James Larus!)
* Prevent unnecessary modifications which require pushing new data sets to mobile devices and sometimes causing numerous Dropbox modification exceptions
* Fix bug in which the 'other amount' field for a transaction is editable even if the transaction being edited is split
* Fix bug that auto-set an incorrect historic rate or stock price when manually entering a dividend transaction
* Dropbox sync uploads now no longer invoke notifications
* Workaround for file load/save window crash on High Sierra
* Performance improvements mostly related to investing and currencies with many historical price entries
* Added keyboard shortcuts for marking selected transactions as uncleared, reconciling, or cleared
A major (but not new) feature is our absolute defense of your privacy. All of your data stays on your computer, encrypted and completely under your control. If you enable syncing then your data is communicated over a medium that you choose (either Dropbox, or a shared folder of your choice). All synced data is fully end-to-end encrypted, which means that even Dropbox (or your chosen shared file service) cannot decrypt and access the data. Unlike most other financial software, Moneydance never uploads your online banking password to anyone but your bank.
Most Helpful Reviews
Excellent Quicken Replacement - I converted from PC to Mac about a year ago and have been using Moneydance since then. It is an excellent replacement for the PC version of Quicken (the Mac version is horrible and very basic). I use Moneydance to track 6 checking/savings acts, 7 credit cards, and about a dozen investment accounts and have had no problems. It is easy to use and has great functionality. There is also an app for the iPhone that allows you to enter simple transactions on the go if you sync via Dropbox. It was very easy to set up the app and it is very convenient. I highly recommend Moneydance.
Not happy - I have used Quicken for many years and have been using 2007 since it was released. I was hoping Moneydance would have met my needs. It works fine as a checkbook. I had a great deal of trouble with my investments. My wife and I have the same mutual fund in our separate IRA accounts and Moneydance adds all the share together and then reports the total in both accounts. Since I have a similar situation in my 401k accounts, the totals were all incorrect. I tried renaming mutual funds to fool money dance, but ultimately I gave up. Online support will answer an inquiry with a question a week later, then after that question I never received a response. I wish I had been able to use a trial version first instead of paying $50 for Moneydance. I gave up and trashed it.
More Reviews for Current Version
Limited Linking - This was such a big waste of my money (ironic!) because it wouldn’t link with my bank or any of my bill accounts. It only links with a limited number of banks. I don’t have time to manually enter every transaction so now (after wasting a significant amount of money), I am in search of something that is more practical to use.
Flexible - I have been using MoneyDance for years, as it easily helps me manage multiple currencies and keep track of where my money goes. I probably don’t use many of the featurs it has to offer, but it has nailed the basics of tracking expenses and deposits.
Switched from Quicken - Switched to Moneydance as an alternative to Quicken (Windows Version). I only use it to track my home expenses, but it does everything I need and the reports are good. Quicken was just way more than I needed.