Midnight Mansion HD: Episode 1
Current Version: 1.0.2
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 48.7 MB - Download
"If you were a fan of Dark Castle or similar games, check out Midnight Mansion. It's a well executed blast from the past." Peter Cohen, MacWorld Magazine (4 stars)
"Midnight Mansion is an extremely well-done old-school platformer fit for gamers of all ages" Ian Beck, InsideMacGames (8.25/10)
To see a YouTube video of Midnight Mansion in action, click on "ActionSoft Web Site" on the panel to the right.
As Jack Malone, you will explore five huge mansions, each filled with traps, puzzles, and secrets, as you search for legendary treasure. Ride on conveyor belts, avoid zapper beams, and dodge monsters as you collect keys that give you access to new areas of each mansion.
In the vein of games like Dark Castle and Montezuma's Revenge, Midnight Mansion HD brings you classic 2D platformer action with High Definition graphics that look great even on a 30" screen, and a spooky soundtrack that helps set the mood.
Midnight Mansion HD is family friendly! We regularly hear stories of grandmothers who play it with their grandchildren… although we're not sure who is enjoying the game more!
This is not a cheap port of an iPhone game. You will find no low-res graphics or ported touch-based gameplay here. Finally enjoy a game that doesn't lose its replay value after just a few hours of playing!
Episode 1 contains the following mansions:
Tomb of Princes
Most mansions are 80-100 rooms in length and provide tons of replay value, as each is completely different depending on whether you're playing on Easy, Normal, or Hard difficulty.
If you enjoy Episode 1, be sure to check out Episode 2, which contains even more mansions to play, plus the ability to play mansions that fans of the game have created!
- Added Gamepad support.
- Game now works on Japanese systems.
- Fixed slowdowns in some rooms.
- Fixed display issues on "tall" displays.
- Hint House is now playable on machines with case-sensitive formatted drives.
- Fixed various issues with reading signs (crashes, not displaying properly, etc.)
- "Sound Effects Off" checkbox now affects Game Over and Beat-The-Mansion music too.
- Fixed issues where game sometimes looked for Midnight Mansion HD Custom Mansions folder in the wrong place.
- Fixed open saved/suspended games so they work even if the original mansion is a .zip mansion.
- When saving a game while playing a mansion in .zip format, .zip is no longer part of the default filename for the saved game.
- Balanced sound effect volumes.
- Fixed the "screensaver activated when entering name for a high score" issue
- Episode 1 and Episode 2 are now both fully contained. No features are dependent upon purchasing the other product.
- You must now launch Episode 2 separately to play mansions in Episode 2. Apple's policies do not allow apps to be "linked" together.
Most Helpful Reviews
Classic & great replay value - I've been a fan since I switched to the Mac and discovered this game in 2006, and this new "reboot" of the original is very welcome. The graphics are better than ever which makes it fun to revisit old mansions. But still it's the gameplay which is the focus and if you're a fan of platforming and puzzle-solving the value is great at this price with the included mansions and three different levels of difficulty. The balance of reward and frustration is interesting - at first I found the game very punishing, but soon with a little skill it becomes great fun to explore the huge mansions… each room is a small puzzle that ties into the greater puzzle of each mansion that unfolds as you wander around.
More Reviews for Current Version
Awesome Fun - This game creates such a great "haunted" environment with the music, it really get's you in the mood. It's one of the best classic platformers I've played. This and episode 2 together. Love em!