MarsEdit - for WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, etc.
Developer: Red Sweater Software
Current Version: 3.7.11
Last Updated: 8 months ago
Download Size: 8.2 MB - Download
The #1 Desktop Blog Editor for the Mac!
The best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
- Works with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens more through standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Work offline with local drafts on your Mac, preview the formatting and content of your posts, and publish when you're ready to share with the world.
- Easily browse for a photo from your iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom libraries, and embed it for automatic upload with your blog post.
- Avoid common browser-based problems like losing your edits by navigating to another page, poor spelling for lack of a spell checker, etc.
- Perfect for professional bloggers and casual writers who don't want to mess around with clunky web-based interfaces. If you're lucky enough to have a Mac, nothing is more powerful or more elegant than MarsEdit.
- Write in Rich Text "WYSIWYG" that will be converted automatically to HTML when you publish, or hand-tune the HTML in a syntax-highlighted code editor. Markdown fan? Write in Markdown in the HTML editor and see a live-preview of the HTML rendering in the preview window.
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and all major releases up to and including 10.10 "Yosemite".
Coming to the Mac from Windows? MarsEdit is similar to Live Writer, the popular Windows blog editor, but differs in some ways. Ask around and read MarsEdit reviews to decide if MarsEdit is right for you.
This update includes an important fix for Blogger users. Previously MarsEdit didn't have access to Blogger's special "blog-specific" photo album, so it would upload photos to Blogger blogs by creating and publishing to a Google Photos album called "MarsEdit Images".
Now it's possible to upload directly to the Blogger album for the blog, so that's what this version of MarsEdit does!
This update also fixes a bug that prevented category names from loading on some AtomPub-based systems such as LiveDoor.jp.
Please consider leaving a rating or review in the App Store. It means a lot!
Any questions or concerns about the app? Feel free to get in touch at [email protected] Thank you.
Most Helpful Reviews
Extremely capable yet very easy to use - I was looking for an easy to use blog editor as my HTML and blogging skills could charitably be called basic. The reviews on the web for MarsEdit were quite good but the way they were written made me think the program was geared more for experienced bloggers so I put it on the bottom of my "to try" list. It turned out that MarsEdit was the easiest of the programs I tried and had the richest feature set. MarsEdit allows you to either compose and edit your post in HTML or Rich Text and there is a very useful WYSIWYG preview window that pops up which allows you to see how your post will look on your blog as you type. Setting the preview window to match the blog type is dead easy. BlogEdit calls the feature that automatically adds HTML tags Macros. There is a basic set installed and adding your own is as simple as typing in the opening and closing tags you want to add and typing a keyboard shortcut if you want one. The email-like interface is familiar, clean, intuitive, feature-rich and a pleasure to use. I no longer dread composing my blog posts. Although experienced bloggers seem to think highly of MarsEdit it couldn't be easier for a beginning blogger to use. I had a question for the developer about buying through the App Store. His response was extremely helpful and lightning fast.
Disappointed - After having used this product about a year ago (very heavily for a couple WordPress sites) I unfortunately re-purchased through the app store so I could get automatic upgrades. This software is a huge "your mileage may vary". On at least two of my sites the posting partially works resulting in a jumble of HTML code. A quick search of the support web site reveals mostly shrugs and explanations that they can't support all themes. Further digging uncovers that there's a bug which requires a server patch in order to make the product work. While this is fine for those with easy access to a server upgrade - most hosts aren't going to start patching their system at your request. If you are going to consider paying money for this product based on past reputation - I'd strongly recommend a free trial first to be sure it's going to work on your web site. This product was a HUGE letdown to me as I remember it working flawlessly in the past.
More Reviews for Current Version
Love This it works and is extremely Advanced - Excellent product for what I don on my Blog.
Doesn’t work - Doesn’t work as advertised, receiving http protocol error, I went to their website and attempted their solution which didn’t work. Pretty sad the developer hasn’t fixed the issue.