Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
Current Version: 3.1.4
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 973.4 KB - Download
"A great utility...its UI is awesome" – Dave Hamilton, Mac Geek Gab & The Mac Observer
Lingon is an easy to use utility that run things automatically on your Mac.
Lingon can start an app, a script or run a command automatically whenever you want it to. You can schedule it to run at a specific time, regularly or when something special happens.
Lingon can also make sure that an app or a script automatically restarts if it crashes. With Lingon you can also remove or change jobs created by other apps that uses the system function called "launchd".
Lingon can do all this for you and much more. And the system handles running the jobs in the background so you don't need to have Lingon open after you have saved your job.
Please note that Lingon 3 can only create and change jobs as the current user. For more advanced features check out Lingon X at the web site.
There are two main ways to use Lingon:
• Edit or delete an existing job (which e.g. another service has created):
- Select the job from the list that you want to edit
- Make the changes you need and choose Save, or choose Delete from the File menu
• Create a new job:
- Choose New from the File menu
- Give the job a unique name
- Decide what you want to run (e.g. a script, an app or a command) and either write the command under Run or use the Choose... button to find the script or app
- Choose when you want the it to run, e.g. if you want it to restart after a crash check the Keep running checkbox
- Choose Save & Load to save the job and load it
• Fixed a possible crash or problem when saving a job
Most Helpful Reviews
Don't understand the hate - If you're just trying to run a script at set intervals, this is great. The negative reviews mostly surround the lack of support for modifying system-wide LaunchAgents — if you're trying to do that, nothing in the Mac App Store is going to help you. Spent $3 to save a few minutes. I think it's worth it.
Downgrade from previous version - The interface is minimalistic, but not in a good way. It seems you can now only see user LaunchAgents, and nothing else. No /System or /Library LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons. No user LauchDaemons. Not only that, the layout of the interface makes poor use of space by squishing a full path to the LaunchAgents inside boxes that are too small. Previous version provides far more functionality. What you see in the screenshot for Lingon 3 is literally all there is.
More Reviews for Current Version
Simple, just right for a newbie - As a busy mom, I’m always looking for ways to automate any part of my life. Lingon was exactly the app I needed to easily automate the start of my day by opening just the apps I need for work and effeciency. The simple UI is perfect for a beginner like me, and the price is just right for the utility I am getting from it. Excellent choice for time-pressed people who need a quick automation tool.