Let It Snow
Bring a Winter Wonderland to your desktop with Let It Snow's realistic snow fall and get into that festive holiday feeling as snow covers your dock and settles on the currently active window whilst you work.
· Realistic snow fall - using a physics engine
· Snow drifts - that build up at the bottom of the screen
· Snow covered windows - snow settles on the currently active window
· Random flurries of snow - so you'd better wrap up warm
· Melting snow - snow disappears after a period of time
· Gusts of wind - for additional realism
A number of preferences let you control how the snow falls:
· Amount - Decide how much snow you want
· Size - Pick bigger or smaller snow flakes
· Speed - Select faster or slower snow
· Flurries - Choose if you more or less flurries of snow
· Thaw - Set how quickly you want the snow to thaw
· Escape bottom - Toggle between snow escaping from the desktop or building up at the bottom of the screen
· Multicolored - Add a bit of colour to your snow flakes
· Settle on active window - Choose if snow settles on the active window
· Gusts - Choose if you want more or less gusts of wind
The app lives in the system bar, a white star near to the volume control in the top-right of the desktop. Clicking on the white star icon gives you access to the preferences, an option to automatically start Let It Snow when you machine starts and the option to quit the app.
For those with two displays, the snow will fall on what OS X considers the main display.
NOTE: The desktop backgrounds in the screenshots are not distributed with the app.
Let it Snow brings a little bit of winter magic to your Mac!
* New Feature: Let It Snow now lives in the status bar (near to the volume control) freeing up dock space
* New Feature: Gusts of wind
* Enhancement: Added more realism to the snow that settles on the active window
* Enhancement: A little more snow
Most Helpful Reviews
Keeps getting better! - If it slows down your computer there is an easy solution. Go to the nearest Apple Store and buy a new computer.
I don't recommend - Let It Snow is really good looking app but usage of CPU my MacBook and iMac are really too high (about 50-80%). Don't buy it!
More Reviews for Current Version
Snow shouldn’t obscure active window - Thankfully it was only $1, because I can’t bring myself to use this if the snow doesn’t automatically hide behind the active window. It’s supposed to gather on top, but snow already falling will obscure the active window until it falls away. In Safari on Mavericks, sometimes the snow gathering on top of the window will start to all fall down in front of the browser view, which is very distracting. If the developer adds an option for “snow never overlays the active window” then I’ll use it. Until then, I just wasted $1.
Fun, but a major CPU Hog! - I really enjoy the snowfall on my desktop, but it really hogs the CPU. Let It Snow takes about 10%, but it causes WindowServer to run at least 40-50% of my cpu. My Retina MBP is fine, but my MBA’s fans go crazy until I kill the app. Not sure if anyone else is having these issues, but hopefully it will be addressed in an update. If you are ok with the resources being sacrificed, its a festive app with nice effects.
Only one monitor??! - I wish I had read another’s review that there was no dual monitor support before I purchased. Lame. I specifically bought to run on my second monitor, not my primary. Seems like a really ridiculous oversight.
OK - Needs dual monitor support.
Needs multiple desktop support - annoying only having snow on one desktop good app though!