Developer: AMZN Mobile LLC
Current Version: 1.12.4
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 60.3 MB - Download
The Kindle app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your most recent page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your Mac:
• Shop the Kindle Store for over 1,000,000* Kindle books, including New Releases. Over 610,000* of these books are $9.99 or less, including many of the New York Times Best Sellers.
• Start reading immediately with three free books: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Aesop’s Fables. Thousands more free classics are available in the Kindle Store.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color and font size.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Select a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply click on either side of the screen or press the arrow keys to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, Amazon Fire Phone, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android-based device, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
Kindle for Mac 1.12.4: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
Most Helpful Reviews
Much better after retina support. - The application is really well made, and it just got better with the retina display support since now nothing seems pixelated. The only thing that ever annoys me about the application is that it doesn’t tell me which page I’d be on if it was the real book. That’s the only thing that’s left to make this perfect.
More bugs than a University Entymology Lab - As a college student, I like kindle books because, well, they’re cheap, I’m broke, and hey- textbooks! But this mac app is a disaster. So many bugs, app instability, and constant crashing. But what did the kindle developers expect? As of writing this review, this app hasn’t been updated since October 2015— are they even still developing this? Clearly users (like myself) get frustrated when an app is constantly breaking. UI is slow to respond, rather bulky, and a bit dated. PDF-based textbooks wth images are not very well supported, and changing the window size usually results in a poorly displayed page (i.e., too thin, text bunched together). The app gives way less than a relaxed reading experience when it comes to page display, as the slightest change will alter things like the page number, text highlighted, notes, etc. In short, many of these issues would have been solved if the app were being consistently updated. Instead I wonder whether it’s been abandoned alltogether.
More Reviews for Current Version
Freezes on certain pages - I have found this issue on both the Kindle application on the Surface Pro and on my Mac. I downloaded a textbook and the application freezes on certain pages of the book. Right now the application is stuck on Pg. 56, and if I try to go to a page beforte or after that, it does not do so. The kindle window freezes itself as well, I cannot drag the window to another place on my screen and anything that I try to click within the application, it takes it about 2 minutes to respond. Ocassionally the page changes, but it is only a matter of time until you get to the next "frozen page” or it goes back to page 56. I AM TRYING TO READ MY TEXTBOOK FOR SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! FIX THIS NOW! IT IS COMPLETELY URGENT!!!!!!
Needs a page view - I am using this for a textbook, so this might not apply for everyone. But certanly pertains to comic book readers as well. There needs to be a page view. Like a pdf. Small thumbnail of the 10 previous pages, 10 pages after and including current page. Like in comixology. The app works great for me though. Not sure why so many one star ratings, unless some update fixed some problems. Great app, could use some more tools. So far, not problem syncing with my andorid kindle app. Will update if problems arise.
Great Improvement - One Improvement that I like about this version over the previous Kindle software on the Mac, is when truning the page using two fingers swipe, it only turns one page. On the previous version it would scrub through the whole book causing me to constantly lose my place. This makes this software usable. Glad I tried this software again.
UX is terrible - Page scaling only works at a number of preset-definitions, none of them working well with a computer monitor for multi-tasking. If you are looking to read a textbook and take notes in a separate app, good luck to you because it will never come out to a point where you can see both without making errant page-swipes when you're simply trying to see the right half of the page. When the page isn't displayed in full, the right margin no longer exists--you can't simply hit ➡ until you begin to see margin, you'll jump another page. Everything about the experience is just hateful toward the user, and it has been this way for at least 3 years now. I do not recommend this unless you're forced to use it.
No Syncing for Documents - It appears there’s no way to sync pdf documents I have on my mac to the Kindle Cloud Library. Yes, I am using the “Send to Kindle” app. Yes, I was able to upload my pdf document to the Cloud Library. Yes, I am able to see the document on my iPhone (which is why my review wasn’t for zero stars). But I also want to see the doc in Kindle on my Macbook Pro and it’s not there. I’ve tried everything I can think of. If someone knows of a solution I’m all ears. Until then I am very disappointed. :-(