Horcrux Email Backup
Developer: Suhas Tech
Current Version: 4.0.4
Last Updated: 19 days ago
Download Size: 5.3 MB - Download
Horcrux lets you automatically backup your mails from any IMAP supported email accounts with great ease. The best part is, you have an option to restore the backed up emails to any other email account, retaining all your tags/folder hierarchy.
"Horcrux is handy since you don't actually have to think about it when it's running" - Lifehacker
Note: This is a background app, it resides on the Mac menu bar called "H". Click on that to get back to the preferences.
- Tested with iCloud, Gmail, Google Apps, Microsoft Exchange. It should work on most email accounts.
- Incremental backups
- Automated backups at multiple locations (server and local) using the Hooks functionality.
- Supports multiple email accounts
- Add the accounts, set the backup frequency and it'll unobtrusively backup emails in the background
- Native Email Browsing interface where you can undelete specific emails (in case of user error)
- Independent IMAP Server to Server migration utility
- Clever restore process that'll skip already existing emails
- Stores emails in open format (.eml) which can be opened in clients like Apple Mail
- Can export emails in open format as .mbox
Please feel free to contact us in case of any problems https://thehorcrux.com/support
Note: Google and Microsoft are trademarks of their respective owners.
- Fallback script is now created for every backup. Thanks Dan.
Most Helpful Reviews
The latest version seems to be bullet proof - Although the earlier version had some issues, this version is exactly what I was looking for. Not only does this let you take charge of your IMAP account’s backup (instead of just hoping your mail provider actually does due diligence with redundant backups) it lets you survive less accidental data loses. For example: Someone doing a select all / delete / empty trash. So far it works great with my gmail, yahoo and iCloud accounts. It even works with my ISP’s Dovcot-based IMAP server. It’s everything I wanted, at a price I wanted to pay.
No good. The idea is great, but the reality is a failure - I just bought it today, but it crashed, and every time it tried to restart, it crashed again. I tried to contact their support, but that system is a total horror. It's a forum in which the "support" option doesn't actually exist, and you can't set a password on your user account or set a name. You may be able to submit a problem under the guise of an idea or suggestion, but there is no proper support venue available at this time. At this point I need a refund because I've gotten a product that just doesn't perform, but there's no one to contact. It appears that my only option will be to complain to Apple, unless the developer reads this review and responds with either a fix or a refund within the next few days.
More Reviews for Current Version
Unexpected Crash with No Warning or Reason - Decided to purchase this software after reading various reviews of mail archiving software. I’ve attempted to run it on one of my email accounts. It crashes after 10-20 minutes, the app closes and there are no logs or other way to determine what’s wrong. This indicates this isn’t really “finished” software. I object to paying YOU to beta test YOUR software. I’ll be asking for a refund from Apple.