Developer: Found Software, Inc.
Current Version: 1.2.5
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 3.8 MB - Download
Found provides a lightning-fast, intuitive search experience that finds files across your Mac and personal cloud services, including Dropbox, Evernote, SkyDrive, Google Drive/Docs, and Gmail (attachments).
With a double tap of the control key, Found slides out to reveal its unique Palette user interface. Start typing and get immediate results with an instant, full-sized preview of nearly any file, even files in the cloud.
"The key to Found is speed." --ReadWriteWeb
"Once you install it on your computer, looking for things in Found quickly becomes second nature." --TechCrunch
"Being able to preview all of the files fitting a search criteria without changing browsers or windows is pretty awesome." --TheNextWeb
"…people store so much personal data in the "cloud," that [just] searching your own local computer…kind of misses the point." --CNET
"…there are some nice touches that reflect smart, careful design…" --VentureBeat
* Get back to the file you just downloaded or were recently using by typing a few characters
* Quickly look up a file or note and glance at its contents without having to dig through Finder and launch an application
* No need to log into Google Drive/Docs or Gmail just to look at or re-download a file/attachment
* Drag and drop search results into local folders as copies or emails as attachments
* Search and preview files and notes whether you're online or offline
What sources does Found search?
* Your Mac's hard drive and attached external drives
* Evernote - attach multiple accounts
* Google Drive/Docs and Gmail attachments - attach multiple Google accounts, both personal and Google Apps accounts
How does search work in Found?
* Immediately responsive, character-by-character search
* Search using just partial word prefixes - the whole word is rarely necessary. Type 'mov' for results with 'movie', 'move', and 'moving'.
* No hard-to-remember query commands to learn - type 'pdf' to look up PDF documents or 'alan' for Google Drive/Docs shared with Alan
* Found indexes each file's name, path, and, if applicable, email from/to/subject fields or Google Drive/Docs last-modified-by name
How secure and private is Found?
* All your logins and passwords are securely stored in encrypted form in your Mac's Keychain
* Found connects your Mac directly to your personal cloud services with no intermediary to index your personal data
* All searching is done locally on your Mac. No server is involved.
Find out more at foundapp.com.
Performance improvements and bug fixes in Evernote search.
Most Helpful Reviews
Hands down helped our small business digital filing process. SO EASY! - I must say that this application has done wonders for our once (and still) horrendously unorganized dropbox, multiple gmail accounts, ICloud and evernote filing process without us needing to spend weeks tediously putting everything in the correct folders. All you have to do is make sure you save all your documents with key tagged names and it will sort through your Dropbox, Email, ICloud, Evernote, Etc. Accounts and bring up the files with the keywords you have searched for and provide you with a large preview of the document when your cursor hovers over the file name to help you see that you have the right file. Then all you need to do is double click the file to open it! I love the easy keystroke access they set up and would recommend this application to anyone who doesnt have the time to tediously create electronic folders for every digital file but wants to be able to find any file with relative ease!
Terrible - This app hoses the CPU, often take 50% or more. Additionally, it creates a massive cache (mine was 3GB large) all in order to do what Spotlight does already. If you have a computer with infinite resources, then this app will work fine. Otherwise, good luck running on a machine built by mere mortals.
More Reviews for Current Version
The missing link... - I’ve been using ‘Found’ for more than a year on the Mac and I have found (sorry couldn’t resist) that it is in fact one of the most useful utilities I have ever used. This application combined with ‘1Password’ adds a level of convenience, organization, and speed, for locating information that most Mac users have yet to experience. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the developer realizes what they have on their hands and how much more successful they could be if they would simply continue to develop this program. This application essentially picks up where ‘Spotlight’ leaves off by adding a more targeted search result that can also be dragged and dropped into any source destination e.g. mail, etc. Highly recommended! Regards, Dan Ortego
No iCloud Search; Resource Hog - Sitting idle, Found consumes nearly a GIG of RAM! Moreover, it does not search iCloud files. That amounts to a huge cost for missing payback. Uninstall.
Why Found is BETTER than Alfred - I’ve been using Alfred for months and I’ve absolutely loved it. I love being able to search ANYTHING on my computer. What I love about Found is that you can PREVIEW FILES! I have some many files with similar names, so it’s more effcient to not have to open the file to know if it’s the right one. Love it. Well done!
One of those "OMG, how awesome" utilities! - Just a great program for workflow, especially for document transactions: web download to applications, find the latest doc to attach to an email, etc. Fast, simple, elegant. Download it. Install it. Love it.
Simply irreplaceable - It's amazing how some of the most useful apps I own for Mac are the free ones. This app will likely replace most of my spotlight searches in the future.