Forecast Bar - Weather, Radar and Alerts
Developer: Higher Bar, LLC
Current Version: 2.9.2
Last Updated: 4 months ago
Download Size: 34.9 MB - Download
*** Best New App by Apple as a Best New App *** Top Rated Mac App by Macworld *** Featured by Lifehacker *** Full Touch Bar Support ***
Forecast Bar offers hyper accurate, hyper local live weather and forecasts right in your menu bar or as a full dock app. iCloud Sync keeps your locations and settings in sync across your devices. Custom icon and background packs allow you to customize the look and feel to suit your style.
Opening Forecast Bar displays a gorgeous resizable panel full of relevant weather information, including:
- Current conditions, with current, feels like, high, and low temperatures, cloud conditions, as well as relative humidity
- A succinct description, available in 18 languages, of the weather for the next hour, and next 24 hours
- Create a customized weather summary to use in the app and widget which can contain any combination of 20 data points with everything from wind speeds to location of the nearest storm!
- Animated charts showing temperature and rain forecasts for the next 8 hours
- When rain is detected in the next hour, an animated chart showing rain intensity*
- 6 day forecast, with high and low temperatures and weather conditions
- Stunning animated icons for each weather condition (plus two additional icon packs to switch between)
- A gorgeous image matching the weather conditions (which can be dimmed or hidden entirely, from either built-in or online sources)
- Full description of all local NWS severe weather alerts (U.S. only), including Notification Center support
- Radar and satellite imagery (U.S. only)
*** Purchase includes one-year of hourly premium weather updates from Dark Sky. If you would prefer more frequent updates (10, 15 or 30 minutes) you can optionally upgrade easily within the app. ***
Clicking again on the current conditions displays an animated panel with additional information, including:
- Current wind conditions with an animated compass
- Dew point and humidity readings, with a "mugginess" animated gauge
- Pressure indicator with trend information
- Sunrise and sunset times for the day
- Moon phase
- Visibility reading
- UV Index
You can click on any day's forecast to see a full 24 hour temperature, precipitation, wind, humidity and UV index chart, along with an hour-by-hour sky condition chart. Furthermore, clicking on the radar icon will display an interactive radar map.
Forecast Bar automatically determines your location to provide hyper-local weather data. In addition, you can store unlimited favorited locations, and switch between them easily using keyboard shortcuts. By default, Forecast Bar will automatically detect which units to use for your location, or you can manually set your preferred units.
Forecast Bar supports Dark Sky’s Time Machine feature. Time Machine gives you the ability to check the current weather conditions at a given time, in the past 70 years or the next 70 years.
Forecast Bar offers full support for light and dark menu bar modes, and carefully conserves your computer's power. You can even fully customize what shows in your menu bar or dock on your dock badge. Assign a global keyboard shortcut to show Forecast Bar any time! Even more, there is a Today widget you can use in your Notification Center.
With Notification Forwarding, you can forward precipitation alerts to Forecast Bar for iPhone and iPad! Your Mac will automatically check the weather depending on where your phone is and send notifications when precipitation is coming (requires Forecast Bar for iOS). In addition, you can send the current temperature to iOS devices as an icon badge!
If you have any ideas or problems with Forecast Bar, drop us an email to [email protected] or add them to our support site!
Thank you for your continued support of Forecast Bar! We have taken a special focus this release to ensure Forecast Bar works even better with Forecast Bar for iPhone/iPad to supercharge your weather experience.
In addition, we've also added other improvements based on your feedback. Here's what's new in this version:
- Support for a fully customized weather summary (Preferences > Appearance > Customize Summary…)
- Improved Preferences organization
- Support for sending current temperature to your iOS devices as icon badge
- Support for reading the weather via AppleScript
- Fix for snow amount values in hourly details
- Fix for hourly details not respecting units
- Fix for custom summary not showing 2 or 7 day forecasts for some users
Most Helpful Reviews
Great app working again after bugs in updated version. Developer quickly responds to problems. - I recently wrote a negative review of this app because the 2.1 update broke all of my manual locations on an iMac that wasn’t using Wifi, and didn’t let me search and find new locations to manually add because it seemed to require that you use Wifi if you wanted to add locations. The most recent version 2.1.1 fixes all of the issues, and the app has again found a prime space on my menubar. This is the king of all the weather apps I’ve tried, and I’m very happy at the responsiveness of the developer to recognize and fix the location issues with the previous version.
I would rate this higher except... - after paying $6.00 for the app you have to pay even more if you want updates on an interval shorter than every hour. $29.99 for 10 minute interval $19.99 for 15 minute interval $9.99 for 30 minute interval Really? This is a weather application it is barely worth $6.00 let alone $16 to $36 based on refresh interval.
More Reviews for Current Version
Great weather app for the Mac from responsive developer - Really nice weather app! Very handy to have the temperature and current conditions a glance away in the menu bar, and the forecast just a click more. Also, I had previously notified the developer that Forecast Bar had a dependency that caused a switch from the battery-friendly Integrated Graphics to the power-sucking Discrete Graphics on the MacBook Pro and it was quickly fixed! I’m happy to report that Forecast Bar no longer switches to the discrete graphics adapter. I do wish there was a way to open NOAA alerts in the browser… if there is, I can’t find it — clicking on the “alert” icon just pops up the text of the alert, with no way to link to the alert on the web (useful for sharing).
what happened - App was running great now all of a sudden it hasnt worked in days. Tried restarting…. repairing permissions…app doesnt work at all
ok, if you willing to pay for updates - must pay annually for auto refresh, only manual weather refresh with the app purchase
Something is very wrong! - I have tried opening the application and all I get is a blank panel that says “Updating” and then nothing ever happens. I have version 2.92, I can’t even uninstall it because it says it is open.
New 2.9.2 Version Fixed Crash on Startup - The new 2.9.2 version fixed the crash on startup, and now I can use my favorite weather app again. I can’t give it 5 starts, though, because it still crashes when changing to some icon packs (but not all icon packs, so the app is still very usable).