FineReader OCR Pro
Current Version: 12.1.6
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Download Size: 611.1 MB - Download
Easily turn documents of virtually any origin into information you can edit, quote, archive, search or share! ABBYY FineReader Pro complements the hassle-free efficiency of your computer by transforming paper documents, PDFs and digital photos of text into editable and searchable files. Say goodbye to time-consuming retyping and reformatting of documents – FineReader’s unmatched text recognition accuracy, language coverage and conversion features retain your original’s text, layout and formatting. It’s OCR the easy way – just as it should be!
"FineReader Pros' OCR engine outclasses anything else available, and its overall design is clean, efficient, and fast. It's our no-contest Editors' Choice for OCR under OS X."
With just a few clicks you can:
- Update documents with text corrections, date changes, modified conditions, links to other documents and more
- Instantly pull quotes from text and extract data
- Create searchable PDF files for archiving and sharing
- Make documents accessible for text-to-voice and more
KEY PRODUCTIVITY FEATURES:
- Scans and converts documents and images into a wide variety of popular electronic formats including: DOCX, ODT, RTF, XSLX, PDF and PDF/A, PPTX, HTML, EPUB and FB2
- Automates conversion tasks, processes batches of documents, and provides the ability to schedule OCR processing with the help of newly added Automator actions and AppleScript commands support;
- Accurately reconstructs document structure, layout and formatting across multiple pages – including headers/footers, footnotes, table of contents, page numbering, captions, etc.
- Creates editable, searchable and secure PDFs that are perfect for archiving and sharing
- Creates e-books in EPUB and FB2 formats for tablets and portable readers
- Performs image and photo pre-processing using ABBYY’s Advanced Digital Camera OCR technology
- Applies advanced OCR features to complex conversion tasks
YOUR ADVANTAGES WITH ABBYY OCR TECHNOLOGY INCLUDE:
- Professional OCR results with up to 99.8% character recognition accuracy
- Widest language support in the industry: 189 recognition languages (including Asian languages) in any combination of languages
- Multi-channel document input enables you to scan paper documents for processing or convert scanned images, PDFs and digital photos of text
- User-friendly interface with pre-defined Quick Tasks makes using FineReader easy and intuitive and provides Section 508 compliancy
* According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy and formatting results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.
Supported macOS 10.12 Sierra.
Most Helpful Reviews
The best OCR for Mac - By far the best OCR for Mac. I’ve tried Prizmo and ReadIris and they are maybe faster, but give much worse results. This is a very well done product. Highly recommended.
Message to ABBYY Marketing and Product Development Managers - There is no question the OCR engine and conversion utilitiy are top notch. But this product is purposefully hobbled by the utter lack of AppleScript or Automator hooks to be useful in automated workflow where the addition of a scanned document to a MacOSX Folder can trigger FineReader OCR Pro run a conversion. Instead, ALL document OCR scans from pre-existing sources require either a drag and drop on FIneReader OCR Pro, or you have to use “File->Open” dialogs. Bottom line : FineReader OCR Pro is a first class OCR engine and yet, worst of class for workflow inclusion due to ABBYY marketing & product management decisions to purposefully hobble this product’s support for AppleScript and Automator.
More Reviews for Current Version
Use it every day, works well | Current version is buggier in Sierra - My previous review is below (which is quite positive). Recently, however, I’ve started encountering bugs when opening PDFs. The software reports errors and can’t import them. If I open the PDF in Preview, export as TIFF, and then import, all is fine. Something about PDF processing in Sierra with FineReader is not working correctly. I lowered my star rating to 3 stars until there is an update (I had previously given 5 stars). Will revisit when the bugs are ironed out. -- I use this app every day for work to OCR documents in foreign languages so that the documents can be translated using a CAT tool, and I am so thankful there is a great OS X-compatible app for this purpose so I don’t have to use Windows. The multilingual functionality is of critical importance for my work, and text recognition works comparatively well in all the languages I have tried it in. Quality of text recognition is very dependent on the clarity and resolution of the original PDF, of course. Even as I rely on this app, documents still need formatting clean-up afterward; that is true of any and all OCR applications out there (I’ve tried many), and this one compares favorably. I use it every day, and for my purposes it meets all my needs and saves me a ton of work. In the future, I hope to see better contextual text recognition, output in the most recent DOCX format, active formatting tag minimization, and tweaking table output to minimum rather than absolute row heights. It would also love to see the software become trainable, as with on other platforms. In the meantime, however, the product fully meets my needs on OSX/MacOS.
Great app and works on MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 - I have thrown everything I have at this app and it works like a champ. It would be perfection if some documents with tables require you to select custom settings for proper table importing, and they’d explain in tooltips the difference between having text over or under the image. The easy multi page importing is amazing as well. Finally updated to work on MacOS Sierra. Keep rocking this app guys and gals.