Developer: VoidTech Inc.
Current Version: 2.1
Last Updated: 7 months ago
Download Size: 2 MB - Download
The original FileShredder™ - the top streamlined deletion software since 2011 and the first to develop the innovative right-click method, optimized for maximum speed and efficiency. With just a simple click or drag, you can securely delete sensitive documents, or quickly erase files and free up space bypassing the Trash on your Mac, USB stick, or any other external drive. FileShredder provides an easy solution for removing any file right away from your computer.
Right-Click (Secondary Click) to Delete Permanently
• Launch the app to add Shred and Secure Shred to the Finder Context Menu.
• Simply right-click on a file or folder on the desktop, in the Trash, or in any other Finder window, and select Shred or Secure Shred to delete permanently. No app relaunching is required.
Drag-and-Drop to Delete Permanently
• You can also drag-and-drop items onto the app icon on the dock. No app launching is required.
• In Preferences, configure whether Secure Shred is used for the drag-and-drop method.
• Please do not use drag-and-drop to delete aliases or symbolic links. The operating system will instruct the app to delete the original files rather than the aliases or links.
Secure Deletion Algorithm
• In Preferences, choose from four algorithms for Secure Shred: 1 pass (fastest), 3 passes (DoE standard), 7 passes (DoD standard), or 35 passes (Gutmann deletion, safest).
• Handles many special cases.
• In Preferences, choose whether to ask for confirmation before deletion.
• A confirmation dialog will always be shown before deleting an entire drive.
• Dock icon counts down the number of items remaining.
• In Preferences, choose whether a sound effect plays after completion.
• Press the Abort button on the app's dock menu or quit the app (Command+Q) to stop further deletion.
Q: What is the difference between Shred and Secure Shred?
A: While both options skip the Trash to permanently delete files from the Mac, Secure Shred also overwrites the data on the hard drive so that it cannot be recovered whatsoever. Shred deletes much faster since it doesn't overwrite the data on the hard drive, but the files may be recoverable until your computer reuses that space on the hard drive.
Here is an analogy for comparing different methods of deletion:
▪ Move to Trash (Command+delete) = throw items on your trash pile (you can retrieve them if you need them again)
▪ Shred = shred items in a shredder (to save space, quicker than secure shred, protects against snooping, files become harder to recover as time passes)
▪ Secure Shred = shred items in a shredder and then set them on fire (so they are completely destroyed)
- Improved confirmation and error dialogs
- Fix bug affecting older macOS versions
What's New in 2.0:
- Support for macOS Sierra
- New Secure Shred option: 3 passes (DoE standard)
- Optional confirmation dialog before deletion
- Confirmation dialog before deleting an entire drive
- New Abort button on the app’s dock menu
- Auto-quit for the drag-and-drop method
- Optimizations and improvements on many special and rare cases
- Due to Apple's Mac App Store sandboxing requirements, the following cases will no longer work in 2.0:
1) The app can no longer get the permissions needed to delete admin files for you - you will be prompted to unlock admin files manually first (see FAQ).
2) The app can no longer delete files in a read-only folder for you - you will be prompted to make the folder writable first.
3) The app can no longer delete files in a locked folder for you - you will be prompted to unlock the folder first.
Most Helpful Reviews
Works great but... - This app works great, just like it should. I MUST WARN YOU: If you have Filevault enabled on your Mac (disc encryption) then either log off and log back on or restart your Mac after deleting your files. For some reason if you have Filevault enabled even if you do the 35-pass deletion method then the files will still be fully recoverable until you log off/on or reboot. Other than that minor problem the program works fine. Very easy to use.
Update Taking Too Long - Update for Mac OS Sierra is taking way too long.
More Reviews for Current Version
Perfect for my needs - I keep this on my Dock - right next to the Trash icon, where it reminds me to drag private files to the shredder rather than to the trash can. Obliterates files efficiently and quickly. One of my favorite tools.
Excellent app! - I use this app more than anything else on my Mac. It works great, and I prefer it to using the Mac trash. Hmmm, Its been years since I actually used the trash bin. I’ve been using this shredder. Don’t hesitate to buy it. It is well worth its price.
Rev. Aaron Peters, OSB - File Shredder 2.1 does exactly what the creators say it will do. It is a jewel of an application. I feel much safer with its operation when deleting files or applications.
Nice bump in speed - With the latest OS X upgrade my older version of this app was lagging a bit, but the latest update has made it faster than ever.
Great Product - Quick and Secure - This is a great product to remove sensitive files you no longer need. Its quick and easy and most important… “Secure from prying eyes”. I would recommend this APP if you have files you want permanently and securely removed from your macOS device.