External Editors For Photos
Developer: Karsten Bruns
Current Version: 1.1
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 3.9 MB - Download
External Editors For Photos adds an extension to the OS X Photos application that allows you to edit your photos with any image editor on your Mac. To see how it works watch the screencast on my website.
- Edited images are saved back to Photos immediately and your original photos are updated in place.
- All metadata will be preserved.
- Open your imported RAW files with your favorite RAW-Converter and replace it with your edited version.
- No data lost: You can always revert back to your original files.
- Works even in your book-projects.
- Edited Photos will sync across all your devices.
- To use the extension find a picture in Photos and double-click
- Click the Edit button in the upper right window corner
- Select the Extensions from the icon bar on the right.
- Pressing Enter in the photo overview is a shortcut to switch directly into Photos edit mode.
- Also, you can paste or drag any image into the picture frame within the extension.
Please note that High Sierra's Photos app now has this feature build-in. Only buy External Editors For Photos if you need more than the build-in functionality provides.
- Manage your own list of favorite image editors and add any editor you like
- Convert images to TIFF or JPEG before opening, so you can edit your RAW images with more editors
- Copy images to a folder on your disk and use it as the starting point for your custom workflow
- Replace images with files from your disk with a single click
Most Helpful Reviews
External Editors for Photos - This is a brilliant piece of coding. It is exactly with what Photos should have come equipped! Yes, you can access certain parts of photo manipulation apps natively through Photos, but you cannot access the whole of an app with all its functions. With the External Editors for Photos app, however, you can access yor other apps in their entirety. Well, I cannot truly say every photo editing app, because I don’t have every photo editing app, but I can truly say that with Serif Photo, the most brilliant of the photo apps, it works like a charm. Once you have manipulated your photograph, you can then “Share” it back to Apple’s Photos app. After I insatalled it (it does its own install into Apple’s Photos app), I could not immediately see that anything had changed. I thought that I might have totally wasted my $0.97. But after I had closed Photos and then re-opened it later, I quickly saw that it was installed, and in a few minutes I understood ho wto use it. In my book, it’s a real step-saver! It’s a beautiful little piece of work.
More Reviews for Current Version
Essential Extension for Photoshop Users - Since Photos replaced iPhoto, working with library photos in Adobe Photoshop has required some frustrating workarounds. With this extension however, it is literally two clicks to have your image in Photoshop ready to edit. Then when you save, you instantly see the updated image in extension's window. You can then confirm or reject the changes to your Photos library. Even if you confirm, you still have the benefit of Photos “reverto to original” still intact. A truly brilliant solution! One of the best Mac App store apps I’ve ever purchased!
Just What Was Missing - Thanks for a great extension. I stumbled on this after finding an article about hidden secrets in El Capitan, having no idea that there were external extensions you could get for Photos. I had been among the many who were annoyed at Apple for deleting the functionality integrated editing between Aperture and Photoshop Elements. But this is so easy and quick, and my changes are there instantly, and I no longer need to go through the hassle of exporting and reimporting. What a huge timesaver for me.
Magically Excellent!! - This program is wizardry allowing me to use the perfectly good Adobe Photoshop CS 5 with the Mac program Photos. I used to be able to make it work with Java runtime 6, exporting a Photo onto the desktop, and then having CS 5 open and load in the photo. The edited photo would be copied back into photos, although, sometimes with the date altered. His program seemlessly opens the program into the editor of your choice. It works flawlessly (MAGICALLY)! This is a steal for under a dollar. I truely appreciate the work that Karsten Bruns has performed and his altruism for practically giving this valuable piece of software away.
Just want was needed. THANK YOU!!!! - I don’t know why Apple got rid of the “Open In External Editor” option from iPhotos, it WAS so frustrating. Now, thanks to this extension I no longer have to worry or be upseet. This is simple and effective. I want to use Tonality, I open in Tonality, or I open in Pixelmator, or Snapheal, etc. you get the idea. I don’t know how much work this took the dev as I am not a dev, but I can tell you how much it is appreciated and that is a TON.
THANK YOU!!! - It’s a common complaint of Apple software, when they update software, features get left behind. Rarely some someone come along and find a way to open the door to ALL features becoming available! Karsten, I don’t know you but my photos thank you. I thank you. You. Are. Amazing! Keep up the great work!