Easy MIDI - Turn your Mac keyboard & mouse into a MIDI Controller
Developer: Nikolozi Pty Ltd
Current Version: 1.4.2
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 805.5 KB - Download
Easy MIDI turns your Mac keyboard, trackpad and mouse into a powerful MIDI keyboard controller. It sends MIDI notes and control messages to any soft synth or DAW such as GarageBand, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools and Digital Performer.
This is very useful when you want to jot down some musical ideas quickly and easily whilst travelling, sitting in a coffee shop or even on your couch at home.
Easy MIDI even allows you to control iPad apps that support CoreMIDI or hardware synth via MIDI interface.
• Send MIDI notes and control messages to any DAW or MIDI driver
• Notes can be triggered using alphanumeric keys
• Over 3 octaves under your fingertips
• Trigger chords using numeric keys
• Experiment with chord progressions and save them as Chord Sets
• Create custom scales
• Easily change keyboard octave with up/down arrow keys
• Use left/right arrow keys to change starting note
• MPC style drum pads layout
• Visual feedback eliminates the need to look down on your Mac keyboard
• Sustain on/off can be triggered with a space bar
• Vertical scroll changes note velocity
• Pitch bender can be controlled with a pinch zoom gesture or a vertical mouse drag
• Modulation can be controlled with a rotation gesture or a vertical mouse move
• Trigger MIDI Bank Select & Program Change
• Mini View
- MIDI TImestamp bug fixed
Most Helpful Reviews
Great Idea and Well Executed - This app is truly great for producers on the go, especially when you don't want to drag around a huge MIDI keyboard with you everywhere. Pros: -You can have two rows of keys to use for the piano, each with separate octave as well as "first white key" control so it can be set up however you like, and allows for hand arrangements other than C position. -The "Chords" tab is probably the most interesting because it allows you to predefine chords and map them to numbers, so you can easily build a chord progression and play huge chords without being limited by the number of keys that you can press simultaneously on the keyboard. -For example, "1" could be mapped to a chord with up to seven notes in various octaves, and "2" could be mapped to more notes, then playing both simultaneously allows you to play enormous arrangements that wouldn't even be possible with two hands. -Allows you to use mouse and touchpad input and gestures to control the mod wheel, pitch bend and note velocity Cons: -Haven't used it enough to discover very many, but there is no way to make it constantly override keyboard input, so if you were playing notes in an application that doesn't support keyboard MIDI input (Pro Tools!!) and you wanted to tweak your synthesizer's sound, you would have to switch applications back to Easy MIDI in order to test your changes. -In any case, this is something you would probably use a MIDI controller for, so it's not that big of a deal All in all, this is a great tool for not just playing notes on the fly, but also for easily mapping and saving chord progressions, so you dont' have to export MIDI files between programs.