Developer: Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Current Version: 2.9.17
Last Updated: 1 year ago
Download Size: 24 MB - Download
Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: [email protected]
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Fixes 'previous' AppleScript command
• Fixes next/previous behavior when playing from a manually sorted playlist
Most Helpful Reviews
Good at Everything Except Sync - It’s a very good podcast player with lots of really good features. All of which are mitigated by really stupid synchronization. If I make a change on the desktop at 2:30pm, that should be the overriding change. A change made a month ago on iOS shouldn’t just take over. That’s how sync logic should work: the latest change gets priority over any previous changes. Yet for some reason, Downcast can’t do that. It applies BOTH the latest local changes AND the latest remote changes How stupid is that? The developer really needs to fix this. If it’s a function of iCloud — which I doubt as other apps sync with iCloud just fine — the developer should find another sync solution. Is there a specific sequence of steps a user must take to make this work? The developer should tell the user up front. Otherwise, a very good podcast player with lots of really good features.
No longer works. - This app is no longer working. It does not find new episodes, the start/end time feature doesn’t work. All works well with my iPhone though. This app used to be very good, but it’s gone down hill very quickly. Downgraded my rating to one star. I’ve contacted their support and get no response. I even went on their facebook and no response there either. If I could give 0 stars I would since this app does not work.
More Reviews for Current Version
Used to work - Not exactly sure what happened to this app. I have both the iOS and the Mac version and the iOS is still working okay but the Mac version has really started to nose-dive. The search for new podcasts is slow and painful…..if it does comeback with results, then subscribing to them doesn’t always work. In fact, I am not sure where they go. The feeds I had previoulsly subscribed to, are no longer updating / syncing accurately. The downloads I try to add manually stay stuck in the cue forever. If you see the last update was September 11, 2016…..I would stay away from this buggy app. Such a shame too, it was working great at one time and was one I used almost daily.
no longer working - I was very happy with it at first. Now my playlists have disappeared and it won’t let me create any new ones. I doesn’t seem to let me mark podcasts as played and it is taking forever to prepare the next episode for playing. I reached out to support a week ago but no response other than the automated message. I would gladly stick with it if the issues are resolved. Please don’t make me go back to iTunes!!!
Glitches cost it a star - If this app consistently worked the way it is supposed to I’d give it 5 stars, but a couple of annoying glitches cost it a star. 1. Downloads of episodes rarely start automatically. They just sit in the download queue until you click on the queue, Pause it, then Restart it. 2. Syncing with Downcast on my other devices is still unreliable in the current version. Every few weeks syncing stops and I have to clear the sync settings and re-check them.
Downloading broke after first episode - I downloaded one episode of a podcast successfully. Then when I added some more to the queue the app broke. This is really disappointing.
iOS Version is GREAT, Mac version is just "meh" - So I love the iOS version of Downcast. Does what I love to do, listen to podcasts, and it does it well, way better than the Apple Podcast app. However, on the Mac, it is just ok. It hangs way too much on Sierra, and it looks like it hasn’t seen an update in well over a year. Also, the iCloud syncing feature seems to break compatibility with the iOS version (I start getting duplicates). Finally, searching does not work at all in the Mac version. I either get no results, or the app just hangs and I have to force quit it. Please fix this app, I would love to have a great Podcasting app on the road and when I’m working. For now, I’ll listen on iOS.