Developer: The Alchemist Guild
Current Version: 1.5
Last Updated: 21 hours ago
Download Size: 9.7 MB - Download
Did you ever wish your Dock could do more or handle more of your apps and files? DockShelf lets you place unlimited docks around your desktop so you never run out of space again for your commonly used files, folders and applications!
With DockShelf launching your favorite documents and apps is faster and more powerful because you control where your docks are positioned, how many are on screen, how they're labeled and when they're visible.
• Tabs - Display docks as tabs which can easily be expanded by hovering the mouse over them.
• Browse Folders - Navigate the contents of folders from popup windows using a variety of different viewing options.
• Desktops - Extend your Macs desktop with docks.
• Smart Folders - Add smart folders to docks which use Spotlight to quickly find files on your Mac then browse the results from the dock.
• Stacks - Group any number of files together into a stack which can be browsed via a popup window.
• Process and devices docks - Add special docks that show all the processes currently open or external devices connected.
• Workspaces - Switch between multiple workspaces depending on the app set currently being used.
• Never in the way - Hide docks entirely or depending on which app is currently active.
• Notes - Add and edit notes directly from docks using the text editor.
• More than just files - Add and launch: Links , Mail messages, Calendar events, text clippings and more.
• Themes and Customization - The app comes pre-packaged with a variety of themes for different tastes and customization options.
NEW: Desktop docks and folder items.
NEW: URL items can show an optional favorite icon (see the preferences).
NEW: Paste files, links, text and images into stacks or folders.
NEW: "Sort by" options in folder browsers are now in the correct order (duh!), size ordering is more accurate and there's a new option to sort by date added.
NEW: Text, images and links can be dropped and saved into folder items and folder docks.
NEW: Small edit dock button which can be used instead of contextual-clicking.
NEW: Add folder and desktop item in the dock info window which adds a new empty folder or desktop.
NEW: "Dragging out shares" option for docks which drops the item on the destination then removes the item from the dock. This option is used for docks that are temporary storage during drag and drop.
NEW: More built in dock images (see the dock info window).
IMPROVED: Drag and drop using hiding is now much improved and easier to use but requires you grant DockShelf access in the System Preferences (Security & Privacy > Privacy add enable DockShelf in the list).
IMPROVED: Animations have finally been optimized so DockShelf feels smoother and snappier now (make sure animations aren't disabled in the preferences to check it out).
IMPROVED: Stacks have QuickLook previews now.
IMPROVED: Stacks can set top item so it's easier to identity the stack in the dock.
IMPROVED: It's easier to not drag items out of the dock by accident.
IMPROVED: Cleaned up the preferences window.
IMPROVED: Large size tag is 16pt instead of 14pt like before.
IMPROVED: Note items are all opened in a single window with a system standard style toolbar.
FIXED: Bugs in the "edit smart item" window when selecting custom locations.
FIXED: Bug when renaming folder items.
FIXED: Bug with DockShelf not appearing after logging in even though it was set to do so.
Most Helpful Reviews
New Version 1.3 works great! - I have been looking for a replacement for “A-Dock X” since it stopped working in OS X 10.9, and DockShelf is a worthy replacement and adds a few new new twists and features. DockShelf v1.3 is a great update, and seems to fix all of the minor issues I had noted in previous versions. You can create docs for apps, docks to hold frequently accessed files/folders, and "process docks” that collect together all currently running apps, as well as “Workspaces” to reflect different sets of docks to be used in different circumstances, e.g., a set of docks to be used while doing video editing or programming. Version 1.3 also adds Retina support, a more pleasing color palette with better transparency options, and fixes an issue in previous versions where DockShelf would occasionally have to be restarted. A great app and a nice update from this developer!
Needs to operate with Mission Control - I was really excited about this app. I normally have tons of applications and windows open at the same time and I thought this would allow me to organize my workspace even more. Unfortunately, Dock Shelf works terribly with Mission Control (Lion's feature that allows multiple windows to be open and applications to be organized throughout them). Until Dock Shelf works with Mission Control, I feel like I truly wasted $5.